Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Deeper into Autumn

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread

Posted

It's nice to know that from Wednesday next week..temps will be struggling 5-8c max,and this is likely to continue for next two weeks at least..so very seasonal feeling and with the chance of something very cold developing..let's see.ready for 6z!

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, jules216 said:

Never seen so much hype when ensemble mean is showing -2 uppers, what is clear to an unbiast viewer there are 2 issues. 1. Trough that slides down to Portugal pushing ahead high pressure from Greece-Turkey to central/east Europe cutting of Easterly pronto. 2.Attempt at -NAO later engages Scandi trough with Portuguese one forcing west based -NAO later putting America in to freezer yet again!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Atlas, Diagram

Agreed, I have seen yet again comparisons to 2010 along other years, as well as "Beast From The East" 

I can assure that this upcoming cooler spell isn't that.

If you're expecting widespread snowfall, ice days and the like I hate to say that you will be disappointed.

At the same time, we have got some good building blocks so we will have our chances of getting more colder weather.

• Like 7

Posted
16 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

That's exactly where I am mate ..

Nothing worse than wind and rain this time of year..

Certainly will feel colder next week I'm on FOG watch..

Me too mate. We've already had 2 fog days the weekend before last. Very rare these days and always a good harbinger for proper wintry weather a few weeks later imo. 

18 minutes ago, IDO said:

Same here, getting rid of the Azores ridge, punctured by a wave of westerly Atlantic storms, was getting a bit repetitive and boring. A slack easterly/SE'ly will make a nice change, and that looks nailed on. 

Those worried about the ECM op, that was an outlier early on, and it is the usual ECM op deja vu of overplaying heights in setups like this:

London Oz ECM1404638751_graphe1_00_316_149___(1).thumb.png.88668ee2b627ca5192ccff0ea994679f.png 

Yesterday's 12z: graphe1_00_316_149___.thumb.png.fe27b74316ac58be503ef9dbe1312159.png

Yep, you are so right about ecm and over amplification bias. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Whilst the ops are all over the place, these Anomalies are consistent. The NOAA is centred on the 6th, the EPS is for the 6th... these are consistent and are in very good agreement. But will trough disruption spoil this promise of Wintry weather?

Could contain: Pattern, Art, Person, Face, Head

• Like 6

Posted
12 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

It is cluster 2 on the extended 

all eps are freely available on meteociel 

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

meteociel propose des rubriques météo temps réel, forums, modeles...

Many thanks mate. I didn't realise these were available on meteociel 👍

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Josh S said:

At 330 hours, The mean charts from the eps

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

and geps 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

Are hugely supportive of a north easterly flow even at this extended time frame. This means op runs that follow this theme, like the frankly preposterous gfs para, are both plausible and possible.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature

Al aboard the Kamchatkan Express?

As early as day 11, the JMA is preparing our air from Alaska!

image.thumb.gif.f70740eae10071c28d180bc31298bbdf.gif

In the meantime, the UKMO continues to annoy and frustrate, planting seeds of doubt. Yes it might end well, but we never see that bit and it’s different from other output so that adds uncertainty.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Art
You can’t discount it, but the amount of times even in the last two weeks it’s been on its own and later found wanting is telling. 

There does however seem little chance of snow here during the retrogression phase, thanks to those se euro heights that have thwarted coldies so often in recent years. The low to the sw too influential to suggest anything white and flakey manifesting before day 11. It’s almost back to its ‘heat pump’ position it took so often this summer. 
It’s clear to see the SE flow it’s causing on the eps mean at day 9

image.thumb.gif.2f4cc9a2f8314fc0c2f4e5dc354f367b.gif
Recent years have seen this low struggle to progress SE. It could trend further se, but equally it could trend stronger or even further NW. one eps cluster has it close enough to bring rain to many in England late next weekend. The GEM representative of this scenario

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Sea, Water

This would bust many of the ‘settled weather returns’ forecasts that have understandably been made in recent days. 
It would be ironic if we end up with all this blocking and a low parked just to our sw throughout.

There is so much to be resolved, even with the initial trough disruption early next week. It’s ever so interesting synoptically  compared to most years - indeed it could be heading somewhere quite remarkable - but it still has all the same frustrations when following the models.

the good folk of the West Midlands would take that gem as the snow depth chart reveals …..

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Atlas, Map, Diagram, Face, Head, Person

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Morning all. Lots of worry about details yet professionals have low confidence.  Broad scale themes for the time being is where I’ll sit.

im off to worry about individuals shoulder blades and the stress they must be under with all the self back slapping they are doing.😜🤣

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, Plot, Chart

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!
8 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

I believe that's the closest we've seen that severe cold pool get to the UK on an operational thus far.

animkxh3.thumb.gif.19ee9e557376861b44697d5b91f457bc.gif

Why do I call it severe well you've got to take into consideration just how early those dates we see it modelled are in the season but mostly even in our most memorable cold snowy setups we rarely have seen the 510 dam or below get into the UK.

Even when we had the TPV lobe pay us a visit in December 2010 we were within 528 dam air Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, Water, Map, Person, LandCould contain: Nature, Outdoors, Hurricane, Storm

The snow that cut London off in 2009 again 528 dam

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart, Sea, Water, Land, Shark, Sea Life, FishCould contain: Nature, Outdoors, Hurricane, Storm, Graphics, Art

The peak of the most recent beast in February 2021... 528 dam 

Could contain: Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Graphics, Art, Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Person

January 2013 ... 528 dam 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Person, Art, Sea, Water

March 2013 was 528 dam

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Art, Face, Person, Head

December 1981 also 528 dam 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

December 1962 also 528 dam 

Could contain: Graphics, Art, Nature, Outdoors, Modern Art, Face, Person, HeadCould contain: Plot, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, Water, Map, Land, Person, Kangaroo, Face

Similar for Jan 1962 with the 510 close to our east 

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, Sea, Water

So how extreme would 510 and below dam air be?

Dates we've seen that reach the UK 

February 1991(small circular area)

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, ChartCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Face, Person, Head, Art, Sea, Water

2018 Beast 

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart, Sea, Water, Land, ArtCould contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, BlackboardCould contain: Graphics, Art, Outdoors, Nature, Pattern, PersonCould contain: Nature, Outdoors

December 1978

Could contain: Graphics, Art, Modern Art, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Art

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Art

February 1979

Could contain: Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Nature, Art, Graphics, Person, Sea, WaterCould contain: Nature, Outdoors, Person

If there are other dates that anyone would like me to get for reference ..please let me know, 😁 as I'm only 26 obviously I don't know the dates of all the snowiest synoptics we've had.

Good morning @Kirkcaldy Weather,

A fascinating post especially useful when comparing to current outputs I.e., what do those uppers actually translate to.

I wasn't alive, but the one spell I'd love to see charts for has to be January 1987 between the 8th and 15th. It was, according to many, one of the coldest weeks ever with some serious sea affect snow. 

Thank you for sharing the above 

• Like 6

Posted
6 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

Slight westward correction on the parra..nice start!both look fairly clean from the gfs

Current op and not run still being tested as is the // 🙂  a smidge flatter at 138… personally I’m reluctant to take anything from a model that is not released as live… on that point is there a go live?

• Like 1

Posted

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map 00z had no energy and a nice gap south of green for heights to our west to build into.. will that energy block and flatten.. and unwelcoming development 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The op at D6 exploring another option with the disruption off the trough in the west, with the split occurring further east.

0z:Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Vegetation, Plant, Atlas, Diagram 6z:Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map

Not sure if that is good or bad or insignificant. The para keeps to the plan A.

• Like 1

Posted

On a positive the 06z  o 850 over line is over Paris. on the 00z it was around Cambridge so a 200 mile shunt south.. odd ax I thought looked worse.. learning all the time. 😊

Edited by TSNWK
  • Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, IDO said:

The op at D6 exploring another option with the disruption off the trough in the west, with the split occurring further east.

0z:Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Vegetation, Plant, Atlas, Diagram 6z:Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map

Not sure if that is good or bad or insignificant. The para keeps to the plan A.

Could be a nice run from the op!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
5 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Current op and not run still being tested as is the // 🙂  a smidge flatter at 138… personally I’m reluctant to take anything from a model that is not released as live… on that point is there a go live?

GFS // goes live on the 29th November, so only 3 days away. I can't see there being any changes made to algorithms at this late date. We should probably take more notice of what the // is suggesting now.

• Like 3

im gonna take a punt and say the initial easterly is highly unlikely to produce any noteworthy surface conditions in the uk. this means that the interest should be on both the long range integrity and magnitude of blocking and possibility for a pv split to produce a northerly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

GFS // goes live on the 29th November, so only 3 days away. I can't see there being any changes made to algorithms at this late date. We should probably take more notice of what the // is suggesting now.

Thanks.. but can we start on the next run 😀please! Cut off low to west of Portugal pumping up milder air.. the current op does have this feature 

• Like 3