Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Deeper into Autumn

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Kasim Awan said:

Aye about -10 850's need here for showers, frontal though dosen't need to be that low

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Aye about -10 850's need here for showers, frontal though dosen't need to be that low

-6.7 will suffice for you in showers off the North Sea

-8.8 on the east coast for wet snow

I need -4.5 😄

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Kasim Awan said:

-6.7 will suffice for you in showers off the North Sea

I need -4.5 😄

Yes - ive seen him get snow showers from a NW flow with higher than -8c before..

• Like 1

Posted

A quick follow on from my earlier blog GFS 06z is following on with the different set up of high pressure to our northwest and low pressure to the northeast bringing a very quick Arctic flow and major drop in hpa temperatures.Forget the slower look for cold from the east look north for BINGO.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

What do you need for squeaky snow when you walk on it?🤣

An awesome mean again. 😄🙏  

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes - ive seen him get snow showers from a NW flow with higher than -8c before..

Evap cooling from a streamer will drop the freezing level from 700m to 300m in a slow -4c upper flow. combine that with a surface inversion on a cold morning to fill the 300m to 200m >0C gap & 5-10cm with measley uppers is possible inland at sea level.

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Seen lots of snow here from -2°C 850hpa temperatures, even from showers but later into winter. Tiny bit of altitude makes a big difference.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Synoptically it's a brilliant run; temperature-wise not so much... such is the legacy of 11 months' above average temps?🤔

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram    Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors    Could contain: Plot, Chart, Art, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Map    Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Map, Nature

And it ends up looking vaguely similar to January 2021: heavy showers of rain with perhaps a few blobs of sleet in the offing!🥶

Quite sad seeing those charts, really does smack of climate change yet despite that, brutal cold is still around in the northern hemisphere but the PV just seems to split in the usual locations, one lobe goes towards America and Canada and the other goes to Asia and Siberia therefore Scandinavia and Europe get left with the scraps and you see the result of that! 

Decent runs on a seasonal point of view and those who hate wind and rain, nothing at all in the output excites me on a snow enthusiast point of view. We really need too see more cold troughing in the outputs, far too much yellow on the charts! 

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, That ECM said:

What do you need for squeaky snow when you walk on it?🤣

An awesome mean again. 😄🙏  

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart

Better heights around greenland,in this mean also compare to 0z..i.wouldn't rule out that we could see an omega block developing either

Edited by Lukesluckybunch
Adding
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything other than drizzle

I think its important to focus on the overall trends and pattern, rather the fine details such as the upper temps and precipitation, which have so many factors which can affect these. Therefore the models will not be able to determine with any real accuracy at such a range. 

Overall very happy with the high level consistency into mid December 

Edited by Ventnor Viking
  • Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

Seen lots of snow here from -2°C 850hpa temperatures, even from showers but later into winter. Tiny bit of altitude makes a big difference.

Aye dosen't need to be as cold from late Feb, more especially April, where it can be 8 degrees or so! no way will it snow before a shower in 8 degrees Dec and Jan

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

The warmest uppers I've ever had snow from (not counting those very dry easterlies that sometimes generate the odd snow grain) was -4C, back in January 2018, but the showers/storms off the North Sea were particularly intense that day. Under more normal conditions, I need something like -9C...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Just had a look at the charts, and I'm starting to think models are looking at bringing a spell if cold weather rather than a snap. Could this December be one to remember? Just need some consistency and reliability now. 

• Like 5

Posted

Not quite sure of uppers here, but only wet snow/sleet on these 2 days, uppers clearly were not cold enough for proper snow

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Person, Outdoors, Nature, Atlas, Diagram, Sea, Water

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Aye dosen't need to be as cold from late Feb, more especially April, where it can be 8 degrees or so! no way will it snow before a shower in 8 degrees Dec and Jan

Don’t need a special weather pattern to get snow here, unlike where I grew up in the south. 

Snow falls with 0°C 850hpa temperatures on the continent. Curse our maritime climate!

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Not quite sure of uppers here, but only wet snow/sleet on these 2 days, uppers clearly were not cold enough for proper snow

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Person, Outdoors, Nature, Atlas, Diagram, Sea, Water

That was when I had Covid... It definitely snowed, and settled, over here!😄

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

well everything that fell from the sky here was snow (not much admittedly) and altitude here is very low, add in 4 of the biggest blocks of flats in the uk and the heat generated from them....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

It's going to be a very long & bumpy winter if every run of the new GFS shows 2010 repeats in FI. It's been interestingly consistent with the signal to retrogress and drop a trough south into Scandi ushering in much colder air across the UK after the initial easterly. 

The issue is - It's too early to know what biases the model has, could we be seeing a massive over-amplification bias here & in actual fact the current operational GFS is closer to the reality we'll eventually see, or.. is the model just that much better at picking out signals for Greenland blocking? Time will tell.. 

The update is supposedly quite minor

Edited by Met4Cast
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
38 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Oh my days 🤗

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Hurricane, Storm

spotlight on Greenland...

Where has the UK gone?

It looks it may end up in the east coast of the USA if that chart should occur. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

well everything that fell from the sky here was snow (not much admittedly) and altitude here is very low, add in 4 of the biggest blocks of flats in the uk and the heat generated from them....

and here but wet and non settling

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1