Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Deeper into Autumn

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread

Posted
2 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

UKMO isn't too bad,a undercut soon happening after 168

Agree but look at ECM at day 6 below...chalk and cheese, those troughs are no where to be seen...totally agree with Mark, whilst this is a model thread, it can be misleading when people are talking about charts 300 hours away whilst finding the most favarouble version of gfs.....anyway, ecm very good so far for some settled dry conditions...

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder , Lightning , Snow , Blizzards

Well I’d take this ensemble set for the start of any December 

Could contain:

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
38 minutes ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

Let's just hope you're very wrong then. 

I don't think anyone would disagree that the projected uppers are not spectacular, but the pattern with such a strong positive heights anomaly is what people are getting excited about. We usual start December mild and wet with an angry PV over Greenland...... just nice to see something a little different showing. 

I don't think I've ever seen you be positive about a colder scenario - always in the I told you so brigade. 

But you Can already see corrections that easterly is beigh cut off on this morning ECMWF as exactly how i pointed out! Small trough France/Portugal only serve to delay proper easterly, how come no one else talking about this just pure -NAO fixation.

Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Collage, Pattern, Person

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The GEFS at D12 highlight the scatter, but also the potential:

gens_panelzqu8.php.png

It looks like GFS moving towards a cleaner undercut between D6-7 aligning with other models, so one hurdle jumped. That brings in the SE'ly/E'ly. Then back to what was showing a few days ago, the main tPV segment in Asia, and spreading towards our region with retrogressing heights to Greenland:

GEFS mean D8-16 (0Z): animijw9.gif

As the fireworks (FI) are still post D10 (snow potential), then the take is a cooling timeline, then moving slowly into colder territory...leading where needs more runs. 

• Like 9

Posted
1 minute ago, Kasim Awan said:

How anyone can complain with a setup like this going into the start of winter is beyond me.. too many on here have expectations set way too high.

ECM1-192 (41).gif

Exactly kasim,even at 144 in ecm there was improvement.need be looking at Greenland last two frames now..watch it turn yellow and orange😀

• Like 2

Posted

The general GEFS ensemble trend is cooler, but you'd expect that coming into December from a mild autumn:

Could contain: Plot, Chart

Cooler yes. Cold? Possibly but at the moment there's nothing particularly exceptional in these ensembles. Often we see really whacky cold ones starting to appear in F.I.

Interestingly, this is one of the few GFS operationals that hasn't yo-yo'd either within its own run or against previous outputs. Whether that's a sign that this operational is more credible I'm not sure but it's certainly a general pattern in the short and medium term that looks plausible.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

Cut off low Portugal pumping high pressure in to central Europe and easterly for Turkey. Just as I said before morning run.

ECM1-216 (4).gif

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

How anyone can complain with a setup like this going into the start of winter is beyond me.. too many on here have expectations set way too high.

ECM1-192 (41).gif

Agree, Mrs should be able to give the tumble dryer a break with those uppers incomming 😁

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person

• Like 4

Posted

ECM not a bad run though not as stellar as recent runs.  Day 10 is very messy and could go either way from there.

More runs needed! (I'll get my coat!)

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, mulzy said:

ECM not a bad run though not as stellar as recent runs.  Day 10 is very messy and could go either way from there.

More runs needed! (I'll get my coat!)

It looks like a trough could pull down from the northeast..I with bitterly cold air..although perhaps not enough amplification out west..maybe the pattern would be squashed although at this point heights are starting too build towards Greenland again

Posted
2 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

How can this happen?

1035-1040mb to the north

ECMOPEU00_192_1.png

Then causally an absolutely flimsy low just comes up from the south against that block

ECMOPEU00_216_1.png

To lead to this and push it to one side with a feather

ECMOPEU00_240_1.png

Visually,  just doesn't look plausible to me.

Isn't the more intense trough to the north east putting pressure on the High?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

How can this happen?

1035-1040mb to the north

ECMOPEU00_192_1.png

Then causally an absolutely flimsy low just comes up from the south against that block

ECMOPEU00_216_1.png

ECMOPEU00_240_1.png

Either way..I think high pressure looks to rule the roost here..for quite some time!

Just now, mulzy said:

Isn't the more intense trough to the north east putting pressure on the High?

Split vortex could happen up through the pole after this?

• Like 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

ECM1-192 (41).gif

It could be a case of looking better than it tastes (under seasoned) but we won't know until after the event.

• Like 4

Posted
22 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

How can this happen?

1035-1040mb to the north

ECMOPEU00_192_1.png

ECMOPEU00_216_1.png

ECMOPEU00_240_1.png

It's the British isles. It can happen🤣

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, jules216 said:

Cut off low Portugal pumping high pressure in to central Europe and easterly for Turkey. Just as I said before morning run.

ECM1-216 (4).gif

You may be right and if your are fair play But that chart is 9 days away probably a lot more flip flopping to come before then. 

• Like 2