Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Deeper into Autumn

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

T144👍 not T240 plus. 😄 get here then see where we go.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Disk, Art, Nature

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Ignore the op, check out the P 😂😂

much better 🥶🥶🥶🥶

day 8 strong easterly, day 10 big Greeny high and freeze inbound 

Could contain: Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Nature

Could contain: Art, Outdoors, Nature

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Great chart viewing at the moment.  I know someone else said it as well as me, the early and intense deep cold pooling over Siberia had/has to be watched….there are many factors applying support to cold being very much in the fore.  2nd week for first ‘cold’ hit?  18z thinks so but could be some very chilly nights and cold foggy days before.  I think the 18z is building slowly towards a very cold end.  Blocked is the theme and the ever important ‘correct’ linkage with the AZH

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 7

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

I'm more concerned about the millions of people with no means of warmth 😕 

Yes of course, just an additional observation!

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

GFS(p) delivers the goods, just look at the depth and size of cold over Europe ! 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Map, Sea Waves, Hurricane, Storm

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Sea, Outdoors, Nature, Water, Atlas, Diagram

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Map, Sea Waves, Hurricane, Storm

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors

Theoretically the parallel should be more accurate?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Love how so many get sucked in by the pub-run time after time, year after year. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, jimben said:

Love how so many get sucked in by the pub-run time after time, year after year. 🤣

Especially on a Friday evening!  Just a bit of fun and model watching is interesting currently, no matter what the eventual reality is!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
13 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Traditionally its always the most extreme of any run/output of the day, swings from one extreme to another.

A note on the GFS parallel, not a ramp but it screams Dec 09 and 10 to me!

Is there a reason why the run at 18z each day would be less reliable than the others?

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, RainAllNight said:

Is there a reason why the run at 18z each day would be less reliable than the others?

Last time I checked 06z was least reliable as there’s less flight data at that time of the morning. Not sure which is verifying best at the mine (anyone have the link?) but there’s not much in it I expect 

• Thanks 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, RainAllNight said:

There was some stuff somewhere that less data is input on 06z and 18z but many have also said that the difference isn’t likely to make a notable difference. We just joke about the pub run but I’m not sure that it’s any more than anecdotal that it delivers dodgy runs 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
7 minutes ago, RainAllNight said:

No.  It isn’t.  You can see the verification stats for the 4 runs, and any differences between them are not statistically significant.   Look at any given time and one run or other might appear to be a few points better or worse but it really is in the noise.  Currently:

Could contain: Chart, Line Chart

Link:

Great run from the // tonight to go with the ECM from earlier.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
41 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I'm more concerned about the millions of people with no means of warmth 😕 

Does this mean we don’t want cold now? If it does  I’m not sure we can do anything about it.

Posted
9 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

There was some stuff somewhere that less data is input on 06z and 18z but many have also said that the difference isn’t likely to make a notable difference. We just joke about the pub run but I’m not sure that it’s any more than anecdotal that it delivers dodgy runs 

I checked this out today and I couldn’t find much recent evidence to suggest it’s worse. However, in the past, 10 years ago, it had more data than the 12z. But being a uk site on net weather it wasn’t possible to explain the Americans had added extra land based data to the zulu time 18z, their approx midday.  But I’ve long given up on scientific approach to this forum and fully understand the likes of the guy from Surrey gets as much weight on the internet as anyone else, especially on this site. Full moon and werewolves and the like. Freezing cold end of next month. Snowed under for months. 320hrs on the gfs, have a look at this. Ignore the met office. I’m on the dole so have plenty of time to post CFS charts. The good news is science marches on and we’ll make breakthroughs in mathematics to advance NWP sooner rather than later

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.

In the De Bilt plume (EPS 12z) the different scenarios from the clusters are visible:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Gate

A bifurcation on December 1 with
-Scenario A: The High does not quite push out the Atlantic far enough East, with milder Temps as a result.
-Scenario B: The High pushes West and produces a slack Easterly with a cold flow, but not extreme.

Then another bifurcation around December 6 with
-Scenario C : The High gains strength, retrogresses and brings a colder airflow from the Northeast with possible ice days in Holland.
-Scenario D : The Atlantic makes a bit more inroads again, introducing (South)Westerlies and raising Temps. This is cluster 1 in the extended 264-360h range.

It will be very interesting which direction this will go the next few days. True cold (and possible snow for the UK) is still far away, not in range of the EC HRES Op yet.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1