Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Deeper into Autumn

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread

Posted

Yeh looks like ecm could be the outlier early on in terms of how far west the scandi high gets unfortunately!!!so this easterly now looks like it wont produce even a bit of interest not that there was anything significant in it anyway but it looked a bit more interesting 36 hours ago!ah well!!over to the 12zs!

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Wow Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart

Now you're talking. None of this Scrussian high nonsense. 

Let's get a proper Greenie high and a December 2010esk Northerly.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

My slightly amateur thoughts on any initial easterly influence based on recent and current output, is that we may end up with a December 2002 style easterly. Temps in the 2-6C range by day and 0-3C range by night, or just below zero. 

Not necessarily a bad way to cool things down ahead of any jackpot, but likewise, there’s always a route back to mild if low heights stay to SW of the UK.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Synoptically, it's stunning... Then I look at the 850's and it's a bit... hmm!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It feels like we are not there yet in terms of knowing what will happen next week and beyond with small but important changes occurring.

Slack with foggy conditions then small attacks from the east then north, with a southerly component not too far away also.

Interesting runs with a bit of everything. Just how will this pan out!

Edited by GSP
  • Like 3

Posted

Taking a step back and looking at the wider picture, the northern hemisphere looking very different to how most winters commence, PV in two parts, importantly the largest chunk is set to settle over the N Asian side - and all the forcing will come from that, hence I can see an easy path for heights to ridge to Greenland in time. It makes sense to see anomalies longer term showing high pressure to the north and low pressure to the south. 

In the reliable, a slow transition to something cooler and drier over the coming week, the turning point still looks to be the week commencing 5 Dec, still some time off. 

A very interesting and different start to winter than most since 2010 I think. 2012 and 2017 brought  a cold start but the blocking was weaker than what is forecast.

I'll not be able to post for a couple of days, but will keeping an eye on the models and forum.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Morning peeps,

A fine start here in Walthamstow NE London. However as we go through the day cloud is expected to increase with rain reaching here after dark from the front coming in from the west. 

Looks as if as we go through the coming week things will look drier and we will possibly looking at some mist and fog as well as grey skys. Also temperatures dropping thanks to a more continental feed.

What happens after this is still all for grabs. Nothing is resolved and I myself don’t see anything to convince me yet as to what side I should take mild or cold from the east. I think we are at a stage now that as we go through the coming days the pattern will either retrogress and then drop back to where we started, or there will be something worthwhile building for us coldies,  A lot of speculation at the moment, a lot of if’s and but’s to be resolved. It’s just a matter of seeing now if our express will be an arctic one or a mild one. 

I really hope that after some of the exciting F1 charts seen this week all does not crumble in front of us . Even if this worst case scenario does happen what we got to remember is that we are not even in winter yet until a weeks time, we have still got a long journey ahead.

hope you all have a great Saturday

THE SEARCH FOR WINTER IS STILL ON BALANCE 

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

regards 😊😊😊😊

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The para misses the trigger low that we saw in the 0z:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

So, a delay for any potential northerly, and less cooler with that cut-off low to the SW in the interlude. The overall pattern similar to the mean with the tPV from Asia sinking into Europe, so by D12:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors

Both runs variation on an expansive theme so expect chopping and changing, with timings, intensity of northerly and longevity of easterly/SE'ly.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
8 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

Synoptically, it's stunning... Then I look at the 850's and it's a bit... hmm!

As long as the Greenland high holds that Canadian troughing at bay the uppers will be good by the end of the run.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

GFS stunning at T264:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

GFS // a little behind the curve, takes to T300 to get to broadly the same position:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

These runs following on from the idea which was apparent in the ECM clusters - that the block will home in on Greenland post 10 days.  Good consistency on this now this morning, let’s see what the 12z’s bring.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Not too bad, though, given the warm seas, we might have to forego lowland snow in favour of coastal lightning?🤔

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Nature    Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, Kasim Awan said:

Light showers snow below 480m

Heavy showers snow below 270m

Evap cooling system 160m

On that frame

Jeeze.  What on earth will we need for powder at sea level in the south east 🤔 😀

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Not too bad, though, given the warm seas, we might have to forego lowland snow in favour of coastal lightning?🤔

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Nature    Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

A probable and likely evolution - eventual destination look north/north east not east, as said the forcing is coming from the NE, that low to the SW will just fizzle and retract against such a force, initially it may have the effect of preventing a colder easterly, but the longer rewards are better for those of a cold snow persuasion - and GFS is king when it comes to blocking to our NW.. there I've said it. Have a good weekend all!

• Like 4