Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - moving into Winter

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread.  Or, head to the moans and ramps thread.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

No, me neither,the only explanation is warm SST'S but I'm pretty sure we've seen them this warm before (ish)and a system of that size even with warm SST's would only form around November usually.

And anyway, I don't see it as a feasible significant development. It forms in a basin of significant wind shear that would just weaken it,I'm not sure how the models are forecasting it to strengthen really considering that shear wrapped around it. 

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature

Yeah it goes against the basics of tropical weather. A tropical strom just cannot get that strong with so much windshear

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Main thing is gfs is a big improvement over the gfs o6z!!!up to 192 hours!

Agree.. was nice to see the air tic trough a bit further south east and maintaining a link all be it weak to vortex lobe over Asia.. this gave a slightly colder few day from Wednesday to Sunday..the low from the south west at day 9 was defo more elongated compared to the compress ball at 06z enough time for a couple more corrections like that to remove it as concern for us

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

Since the low's  time of arrival is over 200 hours away... I'm going to stubbornly pretend it doesn't exist for the time being lol!

Some might start to hope it does if these lows often do what they do when coming up against a pool of cold air and high latitude blocking 😉

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
33 minutes ago, Rayth said:

So I read that a SSW usually has a 2/3 chance of turning the UK cold, knowing our luck it will deck the cards in line for the US and ruin our blocking 😂 and I’m a glass half full kinda guy 

Yep and those wise owls will also reiterate constantly that nothing is ever guaranteed, meteorologically speaking  

Yes….but if we have a blocked pattern anchored in place when the SSW begins to kick in we have a chance of a wave 1 displacement to Asia which would be mouthwatering given the Atlantic pattern, or a less likely wave 2 with a 2018 look to it. But I’m getting ever so slightly ahead of myself. We are a long way away from this yet and all kinds of things can and will change. Time I got back up…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Scottish ski industry will be doing backflips looking at this afternoon model runs. 😄

Is that a polar low developing earlier on. North of Orkney and Shetland. Something that needs  to be watched,could be some big snow totals up there next week. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters

If that tropical storm does end up elongating and sliding hopefully it can help if we were to retrogress into a Scandi Pattern down the line by propping it up. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Purely JFF.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Hurricane, Storm, Sea, Water

Onto the ECM anyway, things ticking along nicely.

Edited by Day 10
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
4 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Some might start to hope it does if these lows often do what they do when coming up against a pool of cold air and high latitude blocking 😉

Yes, the good old high risk potential jackpot scenario! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

80% of the UK under snow cover next weekend if the GFS is correct 😲

Everyone from the midlands north 😂

I agree it’s annoying but I find the south annoying too. Where classes as the south? 
anyway yes it’s going to turn much colder and a decent chance of snow that lasts longer than a few hours of slush 😬

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
11 minutes ago, Snowman. said:

This has happened before I believe? Can’t quite remember but we had a similar situation. 

I think it was sunspots last time.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

UKMO 168 . Nice chart and the pain in the a*** low is there but better than all the other runs . 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

Edited by ICE COLD
  • Like 9

Posted
4 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

Everyone from the midlands north 😂

I agree it’s annoying but I find the south annoying too. Where classes as the south? 
anyway yes it’s going to turn much colder and a decent chance of snow that lasts longer than a few hours of slush 😬

You’re thinking of that magical boundary of the M4 - where it usually rains to the south of it 😂

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl

Many a time we had an old member on here, showing how, run by run the lows incrementally  were shifting south.

most of the excitement is on the day and dashing to lamppost watch. 

get the cold in first…..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
Just now, Paul_1978 said:

You’re thinking of that magical boundary of the M4 - where it usually rains to the south of it 😂

Don't get me started, it's genuinely a phenomenon! 

• Like 4