Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion. 3/12/2022. How cold will it get?

Message added by Paul,

Winter has arrived and the model thread is very busy, as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

Indeed, produces a fair amount of snow for the north / wales esp high ground.

would selfishly like it to all be further south though and this would increase the longevity of our cold spell for all !

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Nature, Atlas, Diagram, Vegetation, Plant

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Land, Sea, Water, Map, Person, Atlas

Tbh this is an absolute lifetime away in modelling terms. 

• Like 7

Posted
7 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Irrespective of the Azores low saga, the NH profile in week 2 is beginning to grab my attention 

In a bad way presumably? Looks like the pv wants to regroup. 

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

There we have it around day 9 the signs of milder air trying to make inroads North. 

Will it power through?

Will it grind to a halt as the cold air says step aside whimp!

Will it blast that cold air back and say step aside troll from Trondheim!.

Or will it simply not even make the journey here and say sod you blighty I'm off to Jules neck of the woods!

I wish I had the answers but I'm kind of like......

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Sea, Nature, Water, Outdoors, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Blackboard

200w.gif

Bank 😜

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Historical weather events. ❤ the seasons! Winters crisp snow!
23 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

There we have it around day 9 the signs of milder air trying to make inroads North. 

Will it power through?

Will it grind to a halt as the cold air says step aside whimp!

Will it blast that cold air back and say step aside troll from Trondheim!.

Or will it simply not even make the journey here and say sod you blighty I'm off to Jules neck of the woods!

I wish I had the answers but I'm kind of like......

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Sea, Nature, Water, Outdoors, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Blackboard

200w.gif

Reminds me of storm Emma coming up from the south Matt, buried us over here!🥶

I for one wouldn't mind a repeat with the bitter easterly to follow 😋. . .

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
4 minutes ago, icykev said:

Reminds me of storm Emma coming up from the south Matt, buried us over here!🥶

I for one wouldn't mind a repeat with the bitter easterly to follow 😋. . .

Don't you get hogging all the snow again kev! I was on snow patrol for 24hrs out that day and ended up wanting to catch a quick ferry to Ireland 😉

So many options on the table though and gr8 to see so early on.

• Like 2

Posted
43 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Very frigid air lurking too the NE by day 6 on the UKMO run.. I've noticed Exeter mention this milder attempt from the SW further on could bring widespread snowfall on the leading edge,but there is uncertainty over the timing and whether it even makes those inroads! Hence the low confidence in conditions for the 2nd part of the month! The outlook is far from nailed down and that Low is gonna be causing the big headache. Lots going on in the short to mid term though.

UN144-7.gif

Would’nt take much adjustment to open the 🥶floodgates from the east….a lot of potential here 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
6 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Don't you get hogging all the snow again kev! I was on snow patrol for 24hrs out that day and ended up wanting to catch a quick ferry to Ireland 😉

So many options on the table though and gr8 to see so early on.

I'm actually visiting Cork, Eire on 18th to 20th with my lil bro it will be sods law we get a Thames streamer then 🤣 Anyway back to the models... 

• Like 5

Posted

Evening all,GFS 12z/GEM all producing these pin ball lows from around the Azores to make the southern half the U.K. the battle ground for less cold 850 hpa .Not sure that I am on the same wave length the very cold heavey airstream well established over all of the U.K. will be very difficult to push away before these lows start to fill and weaken,we shall see great watching all set for the ECM.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Some lovely ens at 192, just a few I have cherry picked.

image.thumb.png.f103a83835133a5c044541a2b99fc846.png   Could contain: Graphics, Art, Pattern, Accessories, Outdoors, Modern Art, Nature, Plot, Chart

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art  Could contain: Art, Graphics, Pattern, Modern Art, Accessories, Outdoors, Person

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Disk  Could contain: Pattern, Accessories, Art, Outdoors, Graphics

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Art, Graphics  Could contain: Plot, Chart, Art, Accessories, Face, Person, Head, Outdoors

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
2 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

GEFS mean is slightly colder at T192 funnily enough.

Indeed. In fact, compared to even the GFS 00Z ensemble mean, the -5*C 850 hPa temperature line is a fair bit further South-West over the UK. And the mean Low to the South West has quite a squashed, slidey look to it:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

The above from the 12Z GFS mean compared to both the 00Z and 06Z GFS means below:

GFS 06Z mean

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Map

00Z GFS mean

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Map

All for Tuesday lunch time next week.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Sometimes in these scenarios its as simple as this;

If a model doesn't predict as much snowfall over the interior then going forward it cannot plot the low temps that would occur,therefore its forecast of the depth of our cold pool is incorrect and allows the milder air in too quickly.

Very simple but also very feasible .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & cold (love it) any extremes.
8 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Run of the day for me is the GEM, because of the locked in nature of how it ends, all the PV is essentially over to the Asian side, and potentially coming directly at us!  There is nothing left to speak of on the American side, and zero, zilch, nada from the Atlantic.  And we are already well and truly in the freezer by this point.

48AD0E0C-FE77-4367-A7E5-7F316227C825.thumb.jpeg.9f0fc86dec12e4b2fbb0a6c18d1699cb.jpegCould contain: Art, Plot, Chart, Graphics, Outdoors, Accessories

If Gem did beer Matt, oh wait they do 🍺 

Could contain: Pub, Bottle, Beer, Beverage, Alcohol, Box, Factory, Building, Architecture

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1