Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion. 3/12/2022. How cold will it get?

Message added by Paul,

Winter has arrived and the model thread is very busy, as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

Posted
2 minutes ago, LRD said:

ECM is a great run for cold. Not sure abut snow but I'm sure that will take care of itself if the forecast patterns become a reality

Snow charts change dramatically with every run after about 120 hours. Especially in this set up with the high uncertainty of low pressure running up against the cold air. Great run for extended cold.

• Like 6

Posted

This run remains cold for the most part, longer term not so good if look at it from the Northern hemispheric view. Vortex looks to be getting it's act together......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

I love cold as much as the next person, but these temperatures would just be ridiculous and dangerous. -6c with a feels like temp of -11c. I know this is unlikely to happen but it just goes to show the true potential that this cold spell may have. Bear in mind, this is in Bridgwater which is very far south, so cities more north could expect to see temperatures much lower than we are being forecast.

Could contain: Text, Number, Symbol

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Johnp said:

I suspect snow for the south at day 10?

South Ireland perhaps 😫. It’s like the ECM is taunting us with “how can I stay really cold but avoid snow for in” 😫 it’s all  just for fun at this range though. Will change with every run, that part of the fun 🤷🏻‍♂️

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Rainforest, Outdoors, Vegetation, Nature, Plant, Tree, Map, Atlas

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, radiohead said:

Snow charts change dramatically with every run after about 120 hours. Especially in this set up with the high uncertainty of low pressure running up against the cold air. Great run for extended cold.

I would say they change dramatically even down to <24 hours. Just look at what gfs is showing for tomorrow evening/night (almost nothing for northern england)

Yet bbc look north for yorkshire just predicted a couple cm in places..

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Map, Face, Person, Head

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
1 minute ago, radiohead said:

Agreed. Not worried about a forecast lack of snow at this stage. As I say, get the pattern in and snow will sort itself out

Transition from 2016 to 240 on ECM - a moot point discussing detail at that range but I did give a wry smile when everything went from negatively tilted on Day 9 to positively tilted on Day 10 with Iberian heights becoming a risk again. Irrelevant of course as it won't look like that but there you go

Posted
4 minutes ago, Liam Burge said:

I love cold as much as the next person, but these temperatures would just be ridiculous and dangerous. -6c with a feels like temp of -11c. I know this is unlikely to happen but it just goes to show the true potential that this cold spell may have. Bear in mind, this is in Bridgwater which is very far south, so cities more north could expect to see temperatures much lower than we are being forecast.

Could contain: Text, Number, Symbol

You don’t remember 2010 when temps didn’t go above -7 during the day and dropped to around -14 during the night for over a month here in the northwest 

• Like 5

Posted

Evening all,ECM showing the low heading around the channel area or a little further south ie Brest still lots to change  as we get closer to next week.Before this possible threat of snow to the south of the U.K. later next week some very cold days after severe frosts over night,as I mentioned in my previous blog keep an eye on the Fax Charts for more accuracy on that positioning of the low pressure,very exciting weather watching it has been a long time coming enjoy.

• Like 7

Posted

Thiis Low Pressure is proving to be  a real nightmare for forcaster. Here in Ireland they are forcasting tempertures not to go above freezing over the weekend and on monday. The question how cold can it get between now and Christmas. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Wow what a great Ecm this evening. For anyone worried about snow don’t be. As the old saying goes wedges make sledges 🛷. Locked the cold in and the snow will follow at some point. Once the cold does break down and the Atlantic try’s and makes some inroads they could be some spectacular snowfalls across the U.K. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
11 minutes ago, icykev said:

-6 is well within the envelope at night, met eireann predicting -4 tonight for my location 🥶☃️😁 freezing fog and severe frosts predicted this weekend, all combined with the shortest days of the year!! ❄❄ I believe it will be progressively colder than the models are predicting in the next week.

Where is @tight isobarwith a great unique  ramp?? Hope your good bro👍

Well it's already minus 3c/27f here barely 7.30 pm....😨

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

General theme from Mogreps is it stays cold..A few straddlers towards London but further North especially it stays cold!!

Could contain: Text, Plot, Chart

Could contain: Text

Could contain: Text, Plot, Chart

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted

Seems to be an inversion going on. I live 1000ft asl and it doesn’t feel as cold up here as it did down in the village (around 400ft). Clear skies too. I suspect it will get colder at my height as the days go on and any milder air is mixed out as the cold spell goes on. 
Mountains have a nice covering of snow from about 1400ft upwards. 

• Like 4

Posted
21 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

I would say they change dramatically even down to <24 hours. Just look at what gfs is showing for tomorrow evening/night (almost nothing for northern england)

Yet bbc look north for yorkshire just predicted a couple cm in places..

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Map, Face, Person, Head

That shows snow for Yorkshire?