Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - the cold has arrived

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Posted

I think ECM is wrong,before the start of the current cold-spell it threw out a similiar mild run and it turned out to be miles wrong.

Next runs were cold after that rogue run.Its been chucking out mild op runs for days,always at the top of the pack or a big mild outlier for not just UK but much of Europe.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Zonal is a flow parallel to the equator. A meridional flow runs north to south. This chart is misleading for anyone looking to learn. Quite simply this is not a zonal chart. The reason we have never heard of loco zonality before is because it does not exist.

Zonal = west to east

Local zonality = west to east air flow localized to a small area

Different from widespread zonality

• Like 1

Posted

Everyone looking for cold should be focused on the period just after Christmas.

Last 4 GFS runs

18z                                                              00z

Could contain: Blackboard, ChartCould contain: Blackboard, Chart

18z - Av 850hpa cold peak -6.5C           00z - Av 850hpa cold peak -6.3C

06z                                                              12z

Could contain: Blackboard, ChartCould contain: Chart, Blackboard

06z - Av 850hpa cold peak -6.0C           12z - Av 850hpa cold peak -7.3C

A good consistent signal there from the GFS with the current peak of the cold around the 27th

00z ECM

Could contain: Chart

00z - Av 850hpa cold peak -5.1C

A relatively decent signal from the 00z but not as strong as GFS is

00z and 12z GEM

00z                                                              12z

Could contain: Plot, Chart, BlackboardCould contain: Chart

00z - Av 850hpa cold peak -4.1C           12z - Av 850hpa cold peak -4.1C

GEM least on board with this potential colder snap/spell but the dip is still there.

Summary

Which way will the models end up going.

Will they water down the cold signal and follow GEM?

Will they converge on the middle of the road signal from ECM?

Or will they head colder and follow the GFS?

I know which outcome I'd prefer

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

I understand that the Low pressure would be blocked by the Greenland High to the north and the Euro High to the south (see red lines added to chart below) and so can't go in those directions. However, with the black arrows indicating squeezing by those Highs, surely the Low would become more 'frisbee-shaped' and move eastwards in the gap between the two Highs following the path of the previous Low along the Jetstream, as indicated by the green arrow?

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
9 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

The colder runs gather pace and this proves that things are far from done and dusted. This clearly shows both milder and colder options are on the table. But it certainly doesn't show the outcome is guaranteed mild.

I'm quite shocked by some folks reactions in here this evening...its worse than towell throwing its throwing everything but the kitchen sink. Considering we've already had a very good chunk of this month cold.. yet some will never be happy. 

It's nearly Xmas and I'm not having the best of times so i aint gonna cause arguments with anyone..your all entitled to your opinions after all.

BUT THIS IS FAR FROM SETTLED!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Smoke Pipe

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Smoke Pipe

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Smoke Pipe, Line Chart

The 12z to my eye have certainly trended colder compared to the 6z.

as @Quicksilver1989says above .

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
7 minutes ago, Stuie W said:

Regardless of snow chasing, at the minute Xmas day is far from warm. I hope the people who posted about blips and bbq`s have a fun day.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Art, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors

I agree. And the temperatures have been constantly overplayed by models during the cold spell, with both daytime maxima and nightime minima several degrees out even at very short range and by now it was supposed to be well into double figures and I'm still registering below 8C.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
Just now, Ali1977 said:

The majority of us on this forum want cold and snow, but this year I’m sure many people will be looking at the silver lining should the opposite Synoptics transpire. It’s been an expensive 10 days through this cold spell for sure. 

Sod’s Law would suggest this winter will be cold 🥶 

I thought we’d have a pretty robust solution for Xmas day by this evening but we are well off!! 🙄 

I'm six of one half a dozen in terms of a favourable weather pattern at this time of year. For a change I would like it to be seasonably cold, but from what teleconnections have been suggesting the milder part of winter COULD come around later Jan/feb time. But to predict that atm feels difficult. 

The ECM op being a frequent outlier in its own ens does worry me in longer term trend spotting in general as it has been doing this too often for my liking as of late....

Regarding cold, I'll await the GFS and the GEFS 18z tonight to see if that offers consistency from the 12z and then progress from there

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, The Enforcer said:

I agree. And the temperatures have been constantly overplayed by models during the cold spell, with both daytime maxima and nightime minima several degrees out even at very short range and by now it was supposed to be well into double figures and I'm still registering below 8C.

i would concur, its just reached 3.6c here not the double figs that may have been projected.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
6 minutes ago, marksp said:

i would concur, its just reached 3.6c here not the double figs that may have been projected.

I mean, the models weren't showing double digits until well into the mid-morning hours of tomorrow anyway. 🤨

In fact, all models show the Peak District at about 4-5C by 9pm. Bang on. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Rainforest, Vegetation, Tree, Plant, Outdoors

By 9am...double digits!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Rainforest, Vegetation, Outdoors, Plant, Atlas, Diagram, Sea

Edited by Eskimo
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
10 minutes ago, marksp said:

it`s tomorrow you will see higher temps.

Edited by Stuie W
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

I do believe gfs has sniffed out a pattern now but I don’t believe it will be for Xmas I think it’s jumped the gun somewhat and will keep showing a day late then a day late and so on.

ecm and ukmo are I believe correct but will soon show cold around boxing day onwards.

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on..
  • Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

and the latest from NOAA/CPC shows Atlantic height's to our W/NW and Scandi trough in the ext'd 8-14 day outlook

1121773991_814day.03(1).thumb.gif.40b62610b7279e7b2c18e1309e01fad6.gif

That looks like a decent chart if it wasn't for that pesky high pressure to the south!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Guess who's back in town,...me and good evening all😁

a horrible trip back from Skegness this evening in all the rain and spray and so glad to be back

I see everyone's getting edgy with the models at present but i see nothing wrong with the gefs ens for here or London over the festive period

ens_image.thumb.png.3ed2e70d907c34dba1f4cf528b25542a.pngCould contain: Chart

the ECM was an outlier again

graphe0_00_266_32___.thumb.png.daa2ffccd3b3acf341f27d7332a18fae.pnggraphe0_00_311_143___.thumb.png.58f35ab811eb5e1395095da59ae6a30d.png

and the latest from NOAA/CPC shows Atlantic height's to our W/NW and Scandi trough in the ext'd 8-14 day outlook

tis the season of good will so let's keep it friendly eh guys😉

C U l8ter for the 18z.

And euro heights... which kinda makes the greenie heights and scandi trough moot! 

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Guess who's back in town,...me and good evening all😁

a horrible trip back from Skegness this evening in all the rain and spray and so glad to be back

I see everyone's getting edgy with the models at present but i see nothing wrong with the gefs ens for here or London over the festive period

ens_image.thumb.png.3ed2e70d907c34dba1f4cf528b25542a.pngCould contain: Chart

the ECM was an outlier again

graphe0_00_266_32___.thumb.png.daa2ffccd3b3acf341f27d7332a18fae.pnggraphe0_00_311_143___.thumb.png.58f35ab811eb5e1395095da59ae6a30d.png

tis the season of good will so let's keep it friendly eh guys😉

C U l8ter for the 18z.

Those charts may look misleading to those who glance, At best that’s a brief if not very brief fleeting northerly with nothing but mild upticks thereafter. Pretty poor outlook going by those ensembles. 

• Like 1