Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into February

damianslaw
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
3 minutes ago, Tills said:

Mild all the way out to the end of winter (28 Feb) at the moment in the model outputs with a persistent high pressure either over southern Britain or the near Continent.

Moist and mild over the north of Britain is bad news for the ski industry in Scotland where there is currently no skiable snow. I really feel for them. A few weeks back when I went out to the Alps it was a reverse situation. Now the snow is gone up north, whilst the Alps has powder blue skiing.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, MapCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Nature

the ski industry hasn't had a complete atrocious year - they had loads of snow up in Scotland when certain resorts in the Alps earlier in the season had nothing - models will factor in the ssw soon i'm sure and outputs will reflect this

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Tills said:

This post removed.

They've got snow making machines so they'll soldier on as best they can with the lower learner slops in operation if that's what it takes and the snow that's already fallen which is a fair bit should hold for the mo too - as I keep harping on though coming back to the models all those despondent at seeing nothing in the ops/ensembles output for the moment right now need to be patient - models have still yet to get to the crucial time output end of feb/march which is when this ssw should deliver - so it's a waiting game I'm afraid

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
16 minutes ago, Tills said:

I am sceptical I'm afraid.

Cold events seem vanishingly rare in the UK and there is nothing in the model outputs at the moment to suggest this apparent stratospheric warming is going to have any real impact in the UK. 

In addition whilst March can be very cold in Britain it isn't winter and the thermal gradient rises qickly. It's pushing water uphill.

Not everyone on here presumably wants cold weather in Spring?

Some of us gardeners would like plenty of rain and mild weather thanks very much.

@nick sussex did show that couple of days ago very good how the OP's flipped after taking the ssw into calculations in 2018

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nick2373 said:

Could contain: Chart, QR Code, Plot, Line Chart
so the 06z suggests if correct above average temperature effects of the SSW? The way we didn’t want it to go. 

No, the SSW won’t be effecting the next 2 weeks!! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

No, the SSW won’t be effecting the next 2 weeks!! 

absoflippinlutely! - keep watching them models folks, at some point in the next seven days or so - the output should start to turn in our favour for coldies

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 4

Posted

UKMO at 168 looks like it’s sending the heights north when toggling between 144 and 168, the GFS stays pretty flat so maybe that what would happen if the model went further. 
It’s similar to the GFS but the GFS is sending the heights more ENE 

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, Modern Art, Graphics, Accessories

By day 12 the GFS may be trying to build a high to the north East 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Disk

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Baring in mind that we still have 4 days until the SSW begins I'm guessing thats how long we are going to have to wait until we start to get a picture of how the dust settles ?

From what I read on the latest post about SSW's on the netweather's latest home page post, only 6 out of 10 SSW's lead to a cold outbreak and it can take MONTHS for us to feel such effects.

on a side note...Summer arrives early in Spain early next week !!! 🤔 tempted to book a cheap last minute away break 😊

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

By day 14 the solid trop vortex still being shown to be very much in control...

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

...with the higher heights stretched accross the eastern reaches of the artic..

Could contain: Plot, Chart

....will be looking for some change to the strong trop vortex signal being shown by next weekend i would have thought....however presently as you are....   

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Nothing cold in the forecast charts if gfs is anything to go by even if the headline alludes to colder weather potential.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Poster, Advertisement

Posted

My thoughts,

- History tells me that SSW's once occurring feed down quite quickly. So if its going to be a bullseye expect changes in the models by next Friday latest! IF

- Early March can deliver but the difference between 1st March and mid month is huge! So sooner is not only better its vital!

- I've seen a few comments that once the PV is taken down that could be it for rest of season. In my opinion this is a little irrelevant because if its snow your after the first initial surge will likely be the coldest. Anything after this will just be cold unpleasant stuff.

- Look to the ECM for the first signs! Don't forget the gfs is broken at the moment and will likely be the last to see the daylight!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Going to see some rain on Thursday, blimey. After that you can see where HP builds (7 days)

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Sea, Nature, Outdoors, Vegetation, Person, Map, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, Water, Person

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
5 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

At this stage it's too early for any impact to be showing at the 500hPa level of the troposphere as even the furthest reach of the latest GFS is only out to the 28th Feb. The SSW at 10hPa is forecast to occur on the 15th February and expectations are that it will likely take several weeks to filter down and impact the troposphere. In fairness to Nick, his article does make this clear. But hopefully we will start to see some interesting model output by the end of this coming week. 🤞

A look at the Sudden Stratospheric Warming next week and what implications this may have on our weather a few weeks later. There's not guarantee that it will bring the Beast from the East like 2018 as suggested by the media, but it may increase the risk of a spell of cold and wintry weather into early March.

........So, there is no Beast from the East with snow and ice indicated in the model output out to 16 days, for now at least, so probably not for the rest of this month. But we will be monitoring the downwelling of the reversal to see if it reaches the troposphere, but based on current GFS forecast analysis of the atmospheric winds, I wouldn't expect any impacts of next week’s SSW event until early March if the reversal reaches the troposphere.

Good points but I'm surprised we haven't seen more GFS runs and ensemble suites playing around with the idea of cold for NW Europe as a result of the SSW. And weren't some folk on here saying that from 24th/25th we could start to see things translating to the surface in some model runs? Might be wrong on that

There are some colder runs in tonight's GFS 850s suite but overall, I thought things might start to look colder towards the end of these runs by now as the models play around with what the SSW might do

Could contain: Chart

Maybe by midweek we'll start seeing some cold or very cold op runs and ensembles

I also take the point others have made that the GFS has been poor since the so-called upgrade but I still would have been expecting some eye-candy for those who want a cold end to winter and start of March

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I know it's the CFS but it gives an idea of what COULD happen, and what often does when a SSW occurs at this stage... an initial cold shot, then a persistent southerly jet and a wet March!

cfs-0-318.png > cfs-0-414.png > cfs-0-510.png > cfs-0-654.png > cfs-0-798.png > cfs-0-1032.png

If nothing else, at least we wouldn't be crying water shortages by early summer because of a dry spring!

Edited by MP-R
Formatting.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Just trying to see modifications moving forward, albeit 7 days, the ECM loses some energy diving into Europe from it`s 0Z run.

Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Graphics, Outdoors, AccessoriesCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Graphics, Outdoors, Accessories, Nature, Pattern

Edit: and here is day 10 FI.

Could contain: Accessories, Art, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, GraphicsCould contain: Accessories, Art, Face, Person, Head, Outdoors, Pattern

Edited by Stuie W
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Looking 👀 at the GEFS 12z mean long term, there’s still no sign of anything wintery.. yet!..but a few perturbations do show hints of hope for coldies!…I honestly believe the very disappointing current and near future output will eventually change into something more exciting in the not too distant future, but more patience is required in the meantime.. if it doesn’t, role on spring! 😉 😱 🌞 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, MapCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Map, Nature, ArtCould contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, ChartCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Sea, Nature, Water, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1