Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into February

damianslaw
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
5 hours ago, tight isobar said:

Wel bone 🦴 picking it’ is- but the gefs/ eps doesn’t take much index pattern looking!! The draw is there .. via top Scandinavian blocking signature!. These being the suite 12z format without 2m- and raw 850hpa!. Because it’s pointless, as an evolutionary trait/ prognosis!.. it’s purposefully worthy though!- as the structure of shallow = deep minamal plots can/ WILL mean vast difference.... and they are even out to day 5- not stone set!!!.. let me say THIS again.... a draw of worthwhile cold is still well open..... and maybe your eyes will be as we watch the HP fruition !!

Could contain: Plot, Chart

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person

Could contain: Plot, Chart

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map

It does want to lose the blocking strength signal fairly quickly,  It may just be that the signal like you are showing is ridiculously strong and that HP will remain albeit not around 1040

Could contain: Comics, Book, Publication, Page, Text

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
4 minutes ago, KTtom said:

Hmm not sure... I spot a Norwegian Shortwave! 🤣

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Map, Nature

yes - tracked bad, just as -20c was poised and a perfectly aligned Atlantic trough was gonna be undercut, run still looks very white to me.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Slowly, slowly, catchy monkey?

I might be wrong but I think this High pressure system is the same feature that started life over Scandanavia a couple of weeks ago?

It backed west to end up to our SW, is on the move and intensifying over us and wants to eventually head 'home'?

We shall see, I know the Azores High likes to play that game, can a Scandanavian High play it the same.

Sorry if this sounds desperate and unscientific!

• Like 2

Posted

Does anyone know if the GEFS mean still had a SSW? Hoping not to lose that signal 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

"Looks" is the key word here

Infact that chart is at midnight and hints at a touch of a frost

Could contain: Plot, Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Rainforest, Vegetation, Map, Shoreline

It is currently milder now than what that chart is predicting for a week away.  

Hence the terminology I used!

Bit of sunshine by day will feel pleasant enough I imagine though.

Edited by Guest

Posted

Ecm was a tad on the mild side compared to the other runs in the ensemble pack, does it most the time so not surprised anymore. 

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
16 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

From what I can see the GEFS mean hasn't been showing a reversal of zonal mean winds at 10hPa (i.e. a technical SSW) over the last few days. But what is interesting is that when comparing the 0Z run over the period, the mean has been getting closer to a SSW with every run. This morning getting very, very close. Weatheriscool estimate the chances of a SSW now 48%.

Could contain: Chart, Line Chart, Dynamite, Weapon

Quite a few ensemble members (green) going for a reversal:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Smoke Pipe

Source: http://weatheriscool.com/

Was 61% yesterday… 🥲

• Insightful 1

Posted
54 minutes ago, Tidal Wave said:

Hence the terminology I used!

Bit of sunshine by day will feel pleasant enough I imagine though.

Terminology - the body of terms used with a particular technical application in a subject of study, profession, etc.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Ali1977 said:

Does anyone know if the GEFS mean still had a SSW? Hoping not to lose that signal 

I hope it loses the signal tbh. I don't want an increased chance of a cold start to spring.

• Like 5

Posted
24 minutes ago, joggs said:

I hope it loses the signal tbh. I don't want an increased chance of a cold start to spring.

With you if any fallout would be mid March onwards, early March can still be good for snow at all levels though. 

And spring is only good if it’s unusually warm!! 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 hours ago, KTtom said:

Ironic or just blumin aggrivating, but just as we had a chance of pressure rise to the north east, the core of the PV decides to leave Greenland for the first time this winter and relocate there! 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Map

To be honest, that's what I've been expecting.. it will get better than on this chart though. Another northerly doesn't float my boat, but it should be a better one.

• Like 2

Morning peeps,

Hope you all are keeping well. Oh winter where are we going with you?? A benign cloudy start here in North East London Walthamstow this morning. At the moment we seem to be stuck with the weather nothing much seems to be happening. Apart from some possible rain tonight here next week looks the same although there are hints of cooler nights where skies clear and some possible frost. 

I posted a week ago saying there was faint writing written on the walls telling the story for what we have got left of winter. Nothing has changed from my eyes a week on I am still not yet seeing any convincing model output for any change to something wintry at least for another week yet.

Whilst we are now alas pinning all our hopes and faith that a SSW can come and rescue us, which may save winter. However a great deal of caution is still required, yes we may end up getting a SSW but that does not necessarily mean it will always play in favour for our island. I really hope in my heart that something down the line will now have to give and at least we can get a taster of something from the east.  The worrying thing now on the back of our minds is that the daylight hours are getting longer and so is the suns strength. Something needs to happen soon to survive these factors which will eventually decrease the chances of any sustained cold.  Here hoping the coming days a helping hand from the models will listen to our cries.

have a great day all

regards 😊😊😊

THE TIME IS GETTING CLISER TO MAKE OR BREAK FOR WINTER

• Like 8

Posted

Much hotter up too on this run 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Map

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

A sign of things to come,...maybe!!!

control just after day ten.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, ChartCould contain: Art, Outdoors, Modern Art, Graphics, Plot, Chart, Nature, Face, Person, Head

There are several ENS showing this set up too 👍

A few here 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Art, Nature, Graphics

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, Plot, Chart

Could contain: Outdoors, Art, Nature, Modern Art

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 7

Posted
4 hours ago, Ali1977 said:

Hasn’t yet on the mean as bossed weathers post below.  Eps mean is still just reversed post T312

4 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

From what I can see the GEFS mean hasn't been showing a reversal of zonal mean winds at 10hPa (i.e. a technical SSW) over the last few days. But what is interesting is that when comparing the 0Z run over the period, the mean has been getting closer to a SSW with every run. This morning getting very, very close. Weatheriscool estimate the chances of a SSW now 48%.

Could contain: Chart, Line Chart, Dynamite, Weapon

Quite a few ensemble members (green) going for a reversal:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Smoke Pipe

Source: http://weatheriscool.com/

3 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Yes, despite today's GEFS mean edging marginally closer to a reversal than yesterday's mean. I'm guessing, but I wonder if the reason is because the 'mean' is basically an 'average' of all members zonal wind speed, whilst the % chance of a SSW is simply calculated by how 'many' members show a reversal? So yesterday 21 members went for a reversal, today 15 members, but today's 15 are going for a more significant reversal?

If anyone from weatheriscool is reading this, an insight into how the % chance is calculated would be gratefully received.

Straight number of members that reverse as a percentage of 30 members 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
15 hours ago, blizzard81 said:

Ecm mean looks more blocked from the east compared to the morning suite. I expect debilt to be colder. Less pressure from the north west. 

The debilt ens look meh this morning.