Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Had our first brief shower of the day. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
Just now, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Shhh I dont want to know.

About Meto not your mood lol. I'm in the same camp.

BBC Monthly forecast sounds as grim too lol Honestly if it turns out the way I read it then this would come out as one of the poorest July's in living memory surely?  What a change after one of the best June's in living memory, I think the weather is more bipolar than us lol ha ha 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
8 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

I must say it must be nice to live somewhere where you know you'll get a nice summer, I should imagine the closest place to us would be southern France, would be a nice place to live I can imagine.  It's too much of a gamble in this country, sure we always get some nice weather in summer but it's usually 50/50, would be better if the odds were more in our favour.  Two weeks of cloud and at least another week of this is really starting to affect my mood....

I just read bbc and met office long range forecast right up and including the first week of August and it's not sounding great at all. 

We've dodged the rain here in Exeter today, fleeting glimpses of sun and feeling kind cool so far, we must be averaging at least a degree below average temp wise here so far

I’ve always said this country would be an ideal place to live if the weather would just sort itself out!

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, TwisterGirl81 said:

BBC Monthly forecast sounds as grim too lol Honestly if it turns out the way I read it then this would come out as one of the poorest July's in living memory surely?  What a change after one of the best June's in living memory, I think the weather is more bipolar than us lol ha ha 

Unless you’re really, really young then 2012 will by far be the worst in living memory. 

Posted
1 minute ago, danm said:

Unless you’re really, really young then 2012 will by far be the worst in living memory. 

2007 was worse. There wasn’t even a hot spell like there was in 2012. 23°C was the highest it got all month here! smh

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I’ve always said this country would be an ideal place to live if the weather would just sort itself out!

Totally agree...I've said the same, it's the cloud amounts for me, pointless cloud at that, we need about another 500 extra hours of sun annually then it would really be an ideal climate....Would really be interested on what the next figures will be for the 20 year average, temps we know will be warmer, I think maybe getting dryer but wondering if any place in this country finally averages over 2000 hours of sun?

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Just now, MP-R said:

2007 was worse. There wasn’t even a hot spell like there was in 2012. 23°C was the highest it got all month here! smh

Yes true. 2007 as a Summer overall was very poor. We didn't break 30c even here in London, which seems pretty incredible now. At least 2012 had a brief hot spell at the end of July and a semi decent August.

Back to the here and now: "Calmer next week"....

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Totally agree...I've said the same, it's the cloud amounts for me, pointless cloud at that, we need about another 500 hours of sun annually then it would really be an ideal climate....Would really be interested on what the next figures will be for the 20 year average, temps we know will be warmer, I think maybe getting dryer but wondering if any place in this country finally averages over 2000 hours of sun?

Very much so. It’s not even that wet here, just too much needless cloud in between.

We also get plenty of the right synoptics but in the wrong months lol. February’s synoptics would be great this month!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
35 minutes ago, MP-R said:

That’s more like it!

IMG_1753.thumb.jpeg.9b6b24a7aa7ed13b546eebb894213f09.jpeg

Would be nice not to have wear a seatbelt on this garden sofa though… in serious danger of blowing away!

Aaaah! Bliss ❤️ Of course, nothing is perfect and it’s blowing a hoolie where you are but the evil Atlantic empire is not holding total sway, at least. Not so good in London, grey grot and 21°C, 🥱 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Totally agree...I've said the same, it's the cloud amounts for me, pointless cloud at that, we need about another 500 hours of sun annually then it would really be an ideal climate....Would really be interested on what the next figures will be for the 20 year average, temps we know will be warmer, I think maybe getting dryer but wondering if any place in this country finally averages over 2000 hours of sun?

Agree, for those of us that suffer the negative effects of near constant grey skies (quite a few, it seems), more sunshine would be a huge tonic. Sadly, despite a slightly warming climate, the UK remains a very cloudy country. Much better in the Czech Republic, where dull summer days are the exception. Unfortunately the cooler months there are often dull, too.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Aaaah! Bliss ❤️ Of course, nothing is perfect and it’s blowing a hoolie where you are but the evil Atlantic empire is not holding total sway, at least. Not so good in London, grey grot and 21°C, 🥱 

I’m ‘enjoying’ every minute of it 😅 Will cycle to the gym shortly. May not even have to peddle…

1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

Agree, for those of us that suffer the negative effects of near constant grey skies (quite a few, it seems), more sunshine would be a huge tonic. Sadly, despite a slightly warming climate, the UK remains a very cloudy country. Much better in the Czech Republic, where dull summer days are the exception. Unfortunately the cooler months there are often dull, too.

Seems we have sunnier winters here, but they have sunnier summers than most parts of the UK. 

Interestingly, winters have got sunnier since I started recording sunshine which give the yearly total a bit of a boost. It would be nice if the lighter half of the year could follow suit. 2022, 2020 and 2018 were all around the 1800hrs mark here.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, stainesbloke said:

I'd like to know where it went wrong with the long range forecasts, i don't recall reading dull, wet and cool anywhere?  Maybe the weather is going to suddenly flip back to how it started?

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I’m ‘enjoying’ every minute of it 😅 Will cycle to the gym shortly. May not even have to peddle…

Seems we have sunnier winters here, but they have sunnier summers than most parts of the UK. 

Interestingly, winters have got sunnier since I started recording sunshine which give the yearly total a bit of a boost. It would be nice if the lighter half of the year could follow suit. 2022, 2020 and 2018 were all around the 1800hrs mark here.

Be careful on that bike 🚴 Interesting statistic about winter, that’s a very welcome trend, let’s hope summers also follow suit. Czech summers are fantastic, lots of warm sun and big thunderstorms, very few claggy days. Czech winters are tough going but the multiple snow events and other weather types help, compared to winters in southern Britain which are just horrible.
Weirdly, I just about cope with the low sunshine amounts in winter. I think I’m more prepared for it mentally. I still have to take Vitamin D supplements and the moment the sun appears I’m out the door, but it’s extended cloudy weather in summer that affects me the worst. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm
50 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

I must say it must be nice to live somewhere where you know you'll get a nice summer, I should imagine the closest place to us would be southern France, would be a nice place to live I can imagine.  It's too much of a gamble in this country, sure we always get some nice weather in summer but it's usually 50/50, would be better if the odds were more in our favour.  Two weeks of cloud and at least another week of this is really starting to affect my mood....

I just read bbc and met office long range forecast right up and including the first week of August and it's not sounding great at all. 

We've dodged the rain here in Exeter today, fleeting glimpses of sun and feeling kind cool so far, we must be averaging at least a degree below average temp wise here so far

You don't even need to be south of us this week.  It's been 23C for the last 3 days in the Arctic circle (Tromso, Norway)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

No heat-/sun-worshippers were harmed in making this week's Ten-Day Trend. But watching it might be a different matter! 😱

Edited by Methuselah
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

No heat-/sun-worshippers were harmed in making this week's Ten-Day Trend. But watching it might be a different matter! 😱

Not watching. This face says it all ...

50 minutes ago, danm said:

I honestly can't remember this year! I remember some cloud but I don't remember it being cold. That said I was heavily pregnant with my first baby so was somewhat distracted!! I remember some 30c days in August but not many. That's all ...

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

Hopefully you don’t work for the Samaritans or as a counsellor 😂 Lovely video 

• Thanks 1

Posted

Every single person in this planet is complaining about the weather in his country. It's the same in Greece, Italy, Spain etc. Some of you wish for 3 months of June's weather here in UK but you don't even take into account that the country doesn't have the infrastructure to support this kind of weather for long periods. 80% of the houses here can't even have a proper A/C installation. Even if all our houses and offices had A/C do you understand that our summer electricity bills would be the same and more as the winter ones? 

Greeks, Spanish and Italians are suffering every summer. They have 15 days holidays (if they can afford to go anywhere) and almost the whole summer they're working under 35c-40c degrees and when they go home they have to deal with hordes of mosquitos to try and relax and have some sleep while their A/Cs are full on to bring room temps down and bills skyrocketing. 

I'm not saying some nicer weather is not welcome but we need to have some perspective. 

• Like 7

Posted
16 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Not watching. This face says it all ...

I honestly can't remember this year! I remember some cloud but I don't remember it being cold. That said I was heavily pregnant with my first baby so was somewhat distracted!! I remember some 30c days in August but not many. That's all ...

June and the first two thirds of July 2012 were horrific. Not just cold but very wet and dull. 

The end of May was great, a week of very warm and sunny weather. The end of July had a brief heatwave and then August was quite good. Lots more sunshine and much warmer. 

• Like 2

Posted

I’m actually enjoying this weather - it’s a mix of everything. So far today, we’ve had clear blue skies, blustery winds and torrential downpours with some thunder mixed in. Temperatures have been respectable too. No heatwave but by no means cool either. Perfect. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

The sunshine averages between London and Prague are not that different. 1676 in London vs 1740 in Prague. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, JR319 said:

I’m actually enjoying this weather - it’s a mix of everything. So far today, we’ve had clear blue skies, blustery winds and torrential downpours with some thunder mixed in. Temperatures have been respectable too. No heatwave but by no means cool either. Perfect. 

Exactly. It's not like it's cloudy and raining all day. When the sun comes out temps are automatically up around 3c in 10min. I can't really understand what would be the major difference for most people if temps were 30c. Would they go to the beach on a Wednesday after work? Which beach? Is this country a Corfu or Rhodes on a larger scale so you can go swimming in the clear blue sea? Or we're trying to find excuses to entertain ourselves with BBQs? 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm
15 minutes ago, Empire Of Snow said:

Every single person in this planet is complaining about the weather in his country. It's the same in Greece, Italy, Spain etc. Some of you wish for 3 months of June's weather here in UK but you don't even take into account that the country doesn't have the infrastructure to support this kind of weather for long periods. 80% of the houses here can't even have a proper A/C installation. Even if all our houses and offices had A/C do you understand that our summer electricity bills would be the same and more as the winter ones? 

Greeks, Spanish and Italians are suffering every summer. They have 15 days holidays (if they can afford to go anywhere) and almost the whole summer they're working under 35c-40c degrees and when they go home they have to deal with hordes of mosquitos to try and relax and have some sleep while their A/Cs are full on to bring room temps down and bills skyrocketing. 

I'm not saying some nicer weather is not welcome but we need to have some perspective. 

You are right.  Last summer I had to scramble to cool down my parents house with blackout curtains as they would have just melted.  This is preferable to 40C for sure.  I guess we have one or the other now, days of locked in low pressure or a heatwave.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Empire Of Snow said:

Hope you’d say the same about those in winter wanting -10C every day a heavy snow. 

Thing is for those in Europe many places average above 30C, some near 35C so if it’s 40C their life doesn’t really change and the southern Europeans have more bloody holidays than we do. They are not third world countries. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

I'll give summer 2012 this much, as poor as it was we did have a warm spell in late July and there was a thunderstorm event at the end of June. There was none of that in summer 2007.

• Like 1