Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
9 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

So everywhere that experiences hot weather burns down? Greece. Southern Spain. Italy always get hot weather. Always have . Always will. Just like our summers are usually a pile of crud. Think back to 1997. How many proper summers has UK had?   I reckon 4. 2003. 2006. 2018. 2022. 

i give up.....read the post!

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

So everywhere that experiences hot weather burns down? Greece. Southern Spain. Italy always get hot weather. Always have . Always will. Just like our summers are usually a pile of crud. Think back to 1997. How many proper summers has UK had?   I reckon 4. 2003. 2006. 2018. 2022. 

I’ll add 2013 and 14(barring the poor August) to that list. 

It’s mostly mediocre to poor in this country, with way too many cloudy days or unsettled ones in an average summer.

Much prefer the Mediterranean summers, as you are guaranteed long hot sunny days, or even Central Europe, places like Munich have better summers than us, more storms, and guaranteed more snowfall every winter time. 

The 2000s and 2010s have been just as bad as the 80s for decent sunny summers. 

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like a washout here in the Midlands for the majority of Sunday and into the start of Monday. Firstly, we have this band of heavy rain approaching from the West, followed by heavy showers, with that large area of rain heading South, which will make a wet start to Monday. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Actually turned out better than expected here today with not much rain although cloudy all day. Managed to get to 18 Celsius at one point.

Looks extremely wet tonight and tomorrow expecting 20-30mm of rain 

Posted
Just now, seabreeze86 said:

Actually turned out better than expected here today with not much rain although cloudy all day. Managed to get to 18 Celsius at one point.

That's the issue.  We get to 18c. Whey hey. 18c. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
4 hours ago, CreweCold said:

First world problems eh Si 🤪

Not had a holiday since 2011!

Yes this is true, and not lost on me! 😂

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
9 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

That's the issue.  We get to 18c. Whey hey. 18c. 

Yeah true ,its been a awful summer here even June wasn’t brilliant barring a week. Been some usable days here and there but the worst of the weather seems to coincide with weekends 

Posted

Another appalling day of weather! Really can’t see anything of note (heat) for summer now. I’m sure some will say you never know… I mean Aug next, Aug 😂 - it feels like it’s been mostly terrible since last Aug. And to top it off today’s incessant wind and rain broke one of my gladiolus! Anyway, rant over (for now). 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
1 hour ago, razorgrain said:

Same to be honest. Everyone clowns the idea of southern England developing a Mediterranean climate because of periods like we've had this month, but even in Mediterranean climates they can expect cooler and wetter than average! I can't find the page now, it might have been a thread on this forum, but there was some discussion about how close parts of the south - particularly London - are from reaching a different Köppen or Trewartha climate classification. 

I looked at London's Koppen classifications for each year over the last 30 years.

Cfa: 1

Csa: 1

Cfb: 14

Csb: 14

Looking at that, it would suggest that the median is pretty much borderline Cfb/Csb, but you get the occasional month like August 2004 or July 2009 which keeps the mean as Cfb. There are certainly a lot of summer months with less than 30mm of rainfall.

Southsea is already a Csb climate, as are a few other south coast locations like Shanklin and Teignmouth.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

Had to cycle to the shop and back and I have to say it's surprisingly mild out there. The lack of wind definitely makes the difference. Only had one day over the past few weeks that's been abnormally cold for July, every other day has just been unremarkable.

Posted
10 hours ago, SunnyG said:

August has been forecast to be as bad as this until at least the end of the second week. Most of summer, with its long warm days, will be gone by then. Honestly what is there to be befuddled about? 1 month and 1/2 of cr*ppy weather in high summer should not be the norm. Not according to those who keep telling us that we are becoming the new South of France lmao

Becoming the new South of France?..Northern France wouldn't be bad..we have a vile climate full stop

and nothing will change!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, EMids WeatherWatcher said:

Becoming the new South of France?..Northern France wouldn't be bad..we have a vile climate full stop

and nothing will change!

To be fair if this pattern had happened in the 1960s we'd probably be seeing 10°c max. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
13 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

Had to cycle to the shop and back and I have to say it's surprisingly mild out there. The lack of wind definitely makes the difference. Only had one day over the past few weeks that's been abnormally cold for July, every other day has just been unremarkable.

Aye, perhaps a bit of a winter feel, feels usually balmy in this setup in winter, where as summer normally feels colder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!
6 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

To be fair if this pattern had happened in the 1960s we'd probably be seeing 10°c max. 

Yes, that is precisely the point for me. Even in 'bad' months, we're well above or close to the long term average. People's expectations need a reality check.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

Well i hope it feels mild at the height of summer in July. I'm normally in mild mode Dec to Feb each year. 

Posted
Just now, SollyOlly said:

Yes, that is precisely the point for me. Even in 'bad' months, we're well above or close to the long term average. People's expectations need a reality check.

Like I said above it's surprisingly mild considering we're supposed to be in a cooler than average spell, it's 9pm and it's rained all day. Has more of a high teens feel to it. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
10 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

Knowing Ireland that would probably be drier and sunnier so I'd take that over this shitshow. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

500 hPa geopotential composite anomaly for the first 2 thirds of July. Not great at all.

Could contain:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny summer with thunderstorms, freezing cold snowy winters.
1 hour ago, seabreeze86 said:

Been drizzle all day up here with some heavier bursts. It’s not forecast to stop raining until Monday morning and there’s a yellow warning for rain. Everyday since Tuesday has been wet. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I’ll add 2013 and 14(barring the poor August) to that list. 

It’s mostly mediocre to poor in this country, with way too many cloudy days or unsettled ones in an average summer.

Much prefer the Mediterranean summers, as you are guaranteed long hot sunny days, or even Central Europe, places like Munich have better summers than us, more storms, and guaranteed more snowfall every winter time. 

The 2000s and 2010s have been just as bad as the 80s for decent sunny summers. 

A slightly sunnier version of Munich's climate overall I'd take (I actually prefer colder weather in winter simply because it's usually drier and brighter with higher chance of snow). 

Posted
15 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

500 hPa geopotential composite anomaly for the first 2 thirds of July. Not great at all.

Could contain:

Can you please share a link to these charts Metwatch. Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
4 minutes ago, Downburst said:

Can you please share a link to these charts Metwatch. Thanks

PSL.NOAA.GOV

US Department of Commerce, NOAA, Physical Sciences Laboratory

PSL.NOAA.GOV

US Department of Commerce, NOAA, Physical Sciences Laboratory

First one is daily, second is monthly. Use the daily one for months that aren't over yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted

Words fail me on just how gisgusting a summer day today  has been . From 07.30 until as we speak now it has not stopped raining. Grey. Chilly 14c. Absolutely appalling dross.  And yet some people on here enjoy this sort of weather. 🤷‍♂️

Posted

Slight drizzle this morning, then out for a walk on the beach, overcast but dry and very humid. But since this evening it’s horrendous rain. What’s worse is the gutters were cleaned and some drips fixed at some joints on Friday, I was relieved as the guys did a quick survey of the roof as they had roof ladders and we agreed on some fixes, otherwise alls well. Roll on 3 hours and they are long gone, in the evening I was out with a bucket on my deck as the leak has now moved 😂 and is pouring out water, the down pipe is now fully blocked. Bloody well sick and tired of this weather. For god sake folks prioritise your roof and gutters above all else. It’s worse than a bad November to be honest as you can’t draw the curtains, kind of have to watch it. Not feeling great this evening. Thinking I might spend some time abroad in a few years, Nevada or South Africa and god knows how I’ve changed over the lasT two weekends even Spain. I’m pretty much certain these are the worst July weekends in my memory.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1