Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
1 minute ago, MP-R said:

It should’ve stayed as the cloud haters thread tbf. 

This summer is so poor, this thread is doing the job of a poor summer haters thread as it is.

I agree it's poorer than normal if you prefer heat and sun but I'll enjoy the respite while I can.

Anyway, don't want to upset anyone, it's a pleasant afternoon and there's jobs in the garden to do.

• Like 4

Posted

My brother and his girlfriend are down in dymchurch soaking up the sunshine 

image.thumb.png.e706588fa7213c3bdd5dffa1cd519d49.png

While I enjoy dull cloudy weather in London, with the occasional sunshine. 

Could contain:

Edited by Sunny76
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

A beautiful summers day in South Yorkshire, perfect temp with plenty of sunshine, whats not to love?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

20c here, cloud & sun mix, tad breezy but dry, could be a lot worse 😎

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
14 minutes ago, IPredictASnowStorm said:

I don’t mind it not being baking hot I just can’t the dull cloud and rain , 20c and sunny would be good enough but we’re not even getting that 

Imagine what it's like up north!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Changeable? The weather has primary, or entirely, been exactly the same since nearly the start of the month. How's it changeable... 😆 it's the same muck day in, day out lol. 

It's summer. It should be warm and sunny. Not cloudy and 19/20c every day

That of course depends where you live - in my part of the UK it has most definitely been changeable. For example so far today it's been fairly warm, sunny and breezy with just the odd brief shower so very pleasant on the whole. I've had a lot of days like this during July. There's been rainy days too of course. In other words I've found it to be changeable. I would say that, overall, July hasn't been terrible in my area.

Edited by Buzz
  • Like 1

Posted

I really hope the experts are correct that there will be more settled weather from the 10th onwards as this July has been awful. Tbh I got a feleing that we could see the hottest August bank holiday on record, then the warmest September ever and the sunniest October ever (which will recieve almost as much sunshine as an average April). I really hope this happens, and i would say 2023 hyas been a good year

Edited by baddie

Posted
1 minute ago, baddie said:

I really hope the experts are correct that there will be more settled weather from the 10th onwards as this July has been awful. Tbh I got a feleing that we could see the hottest August bank holiday on record, then the warmest September ever and the sunniest October ever (almost as much sunshine as an average April). I really hope this happens, and i would say 2023 hyas been a good year

Please add your location to your profile so that we can see where you are from - we don't of course need your address, just your nearest town, city or even county.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, anything interesting

Really is a perfectly useable day where I am. 22 degrees with warm sunny spells and pockets of cumulus passing by. Good weather to be working in.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal.

In fairness, if more of July had been like the last few days I’d have few complaints. Sunny spells, winds ranging from light to breezy and the odd shower. Temperatures haven’t been exceptional (topping out at around 22°C) but it’s felt warm in the sun, aided by the more humid air we’ve had.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Buzz said:

Please add your location to your profile so that we can see where you are from - we don't of course need your address, just your nearest town, city or even county.

I live in Nottingham

Missed the showers here today, and looking at the radar it seems the majority of the activity is (no surprises) closer to the low centre to the NW. 

As such, with the strong July sun, it has turned out very nice today despite the doomgloomers that love to bring the mood down. Yes, we've no heatwave, but even in a low pressure driven setup there are fine days to be had. It's not like we're the only ones enjoying today, either.

Also, I really don't get the "it's summer, it should be warm and sunny" nonsense. We're a temperate rock in the north Atlantic - long periods of dry, hot and settled weather is not the norm. A sentence like the one quoted above is about as inaccurate an analysis as you can get of our climate 😅.

Edited by Steel City Skies

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All the Interesting stuff
42 minutes ago, IPredictASnowStorm said:

I don’t mind it not being baking hot I just can’t the dull cloud and rain , 20c and sunny would be good enough but we’re not even getting that 

20 degrees here and Sunny😜😃

• Like 1

2 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Changeable? The weather has primary, or entirely, been exactly the same since nearly the start of the month. How's it changeable... 😆 it's the same muck day in, day out lol. 

It's summer. It should be warm and sunny. Not cloudy and 19/20c every day

Changeable implies the weather has been different, day to day. I would say that's accurate for the month as a whole. While the pattern has not been changeable (stubborn trough, brief ridges), the weather on the ground has been. We've had rainy washout days, fair weather days, sunshine and shower days, thundery days. Temperatures have not varied much, generally at or a little below average by day, at or a little above average by night.

I think you are confusing the stagnant pattern with the varied weather conditions that result 🙂 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

All things considered I sort of saw this summer coming.

I figured that we'd see one more year of poor weather with contrasts of cold and heat in response to an erratic ENSO transition and changes in pollution levels - although I expected it'd be the global activity drop off from the COVID slowdown rather than termination shock. I also figured that any cooler than average periods wouldn't be as abnormally cool as the hot periods are abnormally hot.

Prior to that I also figured we see a trend of warmth records being successively broken with each year throughout the 2010s. 

The future? if my hunches continue to be correct, we'll probably see a hockey stick trend in global temperatures from next year onwards. The heat will... not be fun next summer. I'd also suspect winters will become notably warmer too, reduced to one brief snap of cooler than average in the middle. By the end of the decade I'd expect every other summer will be substantially warmer than average with much longer periods of heat and drought. My fear is that summer 2023 will leave us massively complacent and apathetic.

Edited by razorgrain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
7 minutes ago, Steel City Skies said:

Changeable implies the weather has been different, day to day. I would say that's accurate for the month as a whole. While the pattern has not been changeable (stubborn trough, brief ridges), the weather on the ground has been. We've had rainy washout days, fair weather days, sunshine and shower days, thundery days. Temperatures have not varied much, generally at or a little below average by day, at or a little above average by night.

I think you are confusing the stagnant pattern with the varied weather conditions that result 🙂 

Much of the country (not just London) has had above average rainfall and significantly below average sunshine…but yeah…’confusing’ 😂 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, stainesbloke said:

Much of the country (not just London) has had above average rainfall and significantly below average sunshine…but yeah…’confusing’ 😂 

That actually sums up my locality, for July and a few days ago we were below average July temps as well.

• Like 2

Just now, stainesbloke said:

I don't disagree. We've had the same here in Sheffield. Statistics like that belie the variable conditions day-to-day, however. In the same way a mean average can hide a large variance within the dataset 🙂 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Wonder if those people who were saying that the last 4-5 weeks were 'payback' for June will say we are overdue some warm/hot, dry and sunny weather as 'payback' for what will be at least 6-7 weeks of below average temperatures, well below sunshine and well above average rainfall?

The YTD for sunshine is well below average, and well above for rainfall. Only February and May have been drier than average this year.

Edited by B87
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
59 minutes ago, CharlieBear9 said:

I agree it's poorer than normal if you prefer heat and sun but I'll enjoy the respite while I can.

Anyway, don't want to upset anyone, it's a pleasant afternoon and there's jobs in the garden to do.

I’m sure you’re not upsetting anyone. Enjoy the gardening (great for cardiac and mental health) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Steel City Skies said:

I don't disagree. We've had the same here in Sheffield. Statistics like that belie the variable conditions day-to-day, however. In the same way a mean average can hide a large variance within the dataset 🙂 

But there haven’t been very variable conditions, at least where I am. Unless you’re referring to different shades of grey and types of precipitation? Sunshine has been at a premium, all very same-y

6 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

That actually sums up my locality, for July and a few days ago we were below average July temps as well.

Some areas have certainly been luckier than others but it’s a poor July, the stats don’t lie

Posted

We are at absolute high peak summer now, last week of July, first week of August not always but often brings consistently warmest weather of the year, note warmest not necessarily driest or sunniest.

Many are on UK holiday time, and a mid summer feeling takes hold.

The weather is being very indifferent this year for those who associate this time of year with heat or dry sunny conditions day after day.

However, I can recall many a year, indeed most years here at least don't bring long hot sunny dry weather at this time, the window for fine sustained weather long passed us by.. and heat often comes courtesy of moist tropical maritime airstreams with associated dankness.

Note this is from a lake district perspective, those in the south and east will disagree. As we enter the August threshold my expectations for lengthy settled weather nosedive.. but July I expect far more than what we've had this year.

I'll say it again May and June are our best months here, rarely do they fail to deliver at least one lengthy settled spell. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 4