Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too wet.

Nice and sunny here, for now.

I'm off to south Wales on Friday until Sunday. Not looking good for me, certainly on the Saturday. Hopefully the split is further north that currently forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
10 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Looking at the way the pressure charts are aligned for next weekend onwards points to a NW/SE set up. And sorry to all those in the NW. But this is surely better than the previous few weeks of endless wind rain and gloom on a S tracked jet stream. 

Indeed. Tbh, this is the 'classic' high-summer pattern / set-up that I'm used to seeing from years back, with the SE typically getting the best of the summery conditions, and the NW the least summery. So I'm not surprised by this. 

Of course, this often pans out during July and August. As Damianslaw rightly notes, The NW often gets better late springs than the SE, and this year was a prime example. The NW (and of course the SW even moreso) had a good 2 or 3 weeks of nearly unbroken sunny and warm weather whilst the SE was stuck under thick clag and cold N-Sea wind. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters
11 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

Hope you get better soon 🙂. Can't be pleasant those symptoms/side effects.

Not to go into too much detail but I take methotrexate for my RA, so definitely a long term medication. I find wearing shorts and t-shirts during the warmer months helps to keep the hot sweats at bay.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well… managed to get to 10.30 before it clouded over… I guess this summer that is progress? 🙄

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Some sunshine here in west London this morning, though infill appearing, of course. 
Various reports coming in of a weak tornado yesterday near my town in Czechia. Some light damage. 

363438244_1092418261721858_7093419967157
FB.WATCH

🌪🌪🌪🌪 Tornádo se před několika desítkami minut zřejmě prohnalo v okolí Zvěřínku na Nymbursku. Dle svědků jsou hlášeny popadané plechy ze...

Could contain:

Could contain:

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Well… managed to get to 10.30 before it clouded over… I guess this summer that is progress? 🙄

Yeah, it's clouded over here now. Was beautiful just 30 mins ago.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Nice, sunny morning morning. A few fair weather clouds now, but largely sunny still. 

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

Yeah, it's clouded over here now. Was beautiful just 30 mins ago.

What does one have to do just to get a sunny day these days!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
24 minutes ago, danm said:

Nice, sunny morning morning. A few fair weather clouds now, but largely sunny still. 

Increasingly cloudy here and feeling cool at 18°C. Nice while it lasted lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
24 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Increasingly cloudy here and feeling cool at 18°C. Nice while it lasted lol

Yep there's no heatwave! 🤣

Still good sunny spells here, although more cloud than first thing. 

IMG_6185.thumb.jpeg.c422a3de81604be64e8fa0a3b007b902.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Think I'll make the most of Wednesday and Thursday! Looks like it's going to be the only warm days for the next couple of weeks! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons

What are some examples of synoptic set ups that are good certain times of the year and bad other times of the year? Bartlett highs come to mind they are a dream summer set up especially for the south although northern areas can benefit too if they don’t end up outside the high but are a winter killer. Greenland highs come to mind too for a winter dream but a summer killer. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

It's an extra couple of hours of sun that we didn't have last week eh 😉

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: despite my username, I like warm weather :)

Another hot day here at 31C. It's very very windy, but even the wind feels hot. I luckily have the day off, so I went to the lake earlier to enjoy some sun. I truly love hot days in summer. Sadly it's all gonna be over by tomorrow. Hopefully we at least get a good T storm.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

What does one have to do just to get a sunny day these days!

Move to somewhere that's not this cloud-plagued island.

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

It's an extra couple of hours of sun that we didn't have last week eh 😉

I've actually already had 21 hours of sun this month (still poor I know) but most of it has become before 11am and after 4pm lol.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, danm said:

Yep there's no heatwave! 🤣

Still good sunny spells here, although more cloud than first thing. 

IMG_6185.thumb.jpeg.c422a3de81604be64e8fa0a3b007b902.jpeg

The grey muck is expanding here but it feels nice enough in the sun. Currently a whopping 20°C

Could contain:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: despite my username, I like warm weather :)
12 minutes ago, Catbrainz said:

What are some examples of synoptic set ups that are good certain times of the year and bad other times of the year? Bartlett highs come to mind they are a dream summer set up especially for the south although northern areas can benefit too if they don’t end up outside the high but are a winter killer. Greenland highs come to mind too for a winter dream but a summer killer. 

Yeah the Greenland high is a classic summer and spring killer, but good for seasonal winter weather.

The Bartlett high is kind of poor for Estonia in the summer, as it usually features a big area of LP around NW Russia, but it's okay in autumn and early spring, bringing quite mild westerly weather. Good for SE UK summer though.

Imo Scandinavian Blocking is pretty good in all seasons. Cold crisp weather in the winter and sunny hot in the summer. Maybe sometimes in the spring (March-April) it can be bad, as the NE winds are still very cold then and that can bring quite wintry temps.

One setup I hate though is a strong mid-Atlantic ridge. (Which sometimes comes combined with an GL high)  Usually all of Europe is under a trough and northerly in that case. Another total summer killer and also in the winter tends to bring blizzards, which are not that fun honestly. I guess Ireland and NW UK can get dry and sunny weather with this setup though.

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

I hope Wednesday and Thursday are not as cloudy as models are suggesting. Having warm temperatures is no good if there's little to no sunshine.

Screenshot_20230807_125110_Windy.thumb.jpg.eef0efea4f106f2d0c89b2e93542405a.jpgScreenshot_20230807_125001_Windy.thumb.jpg.eba6467cbd46fa7916b66a516fe98258.jpg

Edited by Snowshine
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

When I think back to the disaster that was 2012 - I remember there was that day in the summer where those massive supercells hit the midlands and north east with several tornadoes and massive hail.

It's genuinely been the most uninteresting summer ever from that POV - I know we had those MCS early on, but since then? All i've seen in the chat thread has been the odd sad looking shower with maybe a rumble or two.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, TheOgre said:

When will this nightmare end? 😒 you know this is a bad summer when we’re excited for one measly 25C day on Thursday.

I'm not. I'm not even excited when I sat the sun for a bit this morning. I appear to have lost all joy and zest for life. I need heat now. 30c heat.

1 hour ago, Snowshine said:

I hope Wednesday and Thursday are not as cloudy as models are suggesting. Having warm temperatures is no good if there's little to no sunshine.

Screenshot_20230807_125110_Windy.thumb.jpg.eef0efea4f106f2d0c89b2e93542405a.jpgScreenshot_20230807_125001_Windy.thumb.jpg.eba6467cbd46fa7916b66a516fe98258.jpg

I'm expecting nothing less than cloud. Some are getting over excited about the continuing cloud fest.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
5 hours ago, IcySpicy said:

I don't have the exact link, as it was a few years ago and I don't know if it's still around, but IIRC it was on a site called City-Data.

Yeah, BC vs UK was actually discussed here a while ago and they are a good match. Still, BC has more reliable weather in Jul-Sept. Although some places on the NA East Coast are similar to Europe too. Some locations in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, Canada are quite similar to Scandinavia. Although it's wild that those locations are around 45N, while most of Scandinavia's population lives around 55-65N. At 45N in Europe we have places like Lyon, Venice, Zagreb, which hve proper warm summers.

Europe has the advantage of having a massive desert immediately to the south too, coupled with a warm and high salinity Mediterranean. North American coastline is open to the elements of the Atlantic Ocean and on the cooler eastern portion of the trade wind theory, so their trade winds are mostly dry continental.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Snowshine said:

Britain's dominate feature is cloud, the persistence and ease of which this Island is able to become cloudy, as well as become cloudy within the span of 15 mins from a clear-blue sky, never ceases to amaze me. For all the meteorological technology and centuries of weather forecasting knowledge we have at our disposal as well, cloud-cover forecasts are often laughably inaccurate, even on the day of. Which just shows how unique our landmass is in its relation to cloud.

I wouldn't be surprised if we're one of the cloudiest places in the Northern Hemisphere annually. Not sure where could be cloudier tbh, other than the Faroe Islands. Scandinavia and the Baltics certainly not as we often get weeks of cloud in winter whilst their properly cold and frosty conditions mean alot less cloud, and anywhere south of us obviously gets less cloudy weather throughout spring, summer and autumn.

• Like 3