Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
1 hour ago, SummerShower said:

I think June was too good a month to rate the summer as a poor one.  Sure, July has cancelled it out to make it just average and August will be pretty average overall, but we have had far worse summers than this.  It's looking like being a warm summer too (16C plus CET).

I caveat that I do see the positive in everything though so appreciate not all will see it this way.

Weirdly enough I seem to remember last June being nothing spectacular, even somewhat cool in the evenings. It was bad enough that I started regularly scouring news updates for any mentions of "2022 summer heatwave" and eventually stumbled upon the early predictions of the 40°c weather. I found it hard to believe at the time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
7 hours ago, midlandsun said:

Another day of cloud all day until late afternoon/evening when it clears up 🙄 completely unusable fooking garbage. Complete waste of time this year has been weather wise. Utterly utterly fed up with it.

It still clear now,  but got some fog that smell like smoke, and it makes me cough like smoke, but can't see a fire or anything.

Posted
7 hours ago, AWD said:

The motorways are empty?????

I’m on a job this week that involves me driving a train up to Acton in West London then travelling back across to Bristol via the M4.

Damn job/journey is taking approx 45 minutes longer than it should do normally due to heavy traffic on the M4 both days so far this week.  Lucky if I reach 60mph for any length of time.  Circa 3 hours to do 110 ish miles!!  Can’t wait for kids to go back to school so I can finish work on time!  🤣🤣

May be lots of peeps are traveling to the west country for staycations.

Posted

I hope that northerly doesn’t come off, what a disgrace that would be in August especially after what we’ve endured since early July! 🙄 Looking forward to the potential warm up next week though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
14 hours ago, CharlieBear9 said:

Glad you're improving.

I carry on pretty much as normal, whatever the weather's doing. If we've had some heavy rain I'll perhaps put my fishing outings back a day or two until the levels are suitable but if it's raining on the day and the river hasn't risen too much I'll still go anyway. Then all the gardening, hedge-cutting, car-cleaning etc I just fit around whatever's happening at the time.

How often do you go fishing? Sounds like it’s quite relaxing. I guess you don’t want it too hot. Do you sleep there or just go for the day? 
Forecast doesn’t look too bad, think there’ll still be issues with cloud and wind occasionally but better generally than of late. Proper summer in Czechia, will be a shock to the system lol

• Like 1

Posted

Manchester Summer Index 

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

2022 261

1947 255

1933 251

1901 249

1921 249

2003 247

1925 246

1996 245

1935 243

1994 240

1934 238

1940 238

2021 238

1941 236

1970 235

1969 234

1973 234 

1999 234

1997 232

1990 229

1917 228

1926 227

2023 225 (up to 14th Aug)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Mellow mists…….

Could contain:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Cracking morning. Clear blue skies and already 20c. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

No complaints here... 

Too few "true summer" mornings like this since June.

Could contain:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, warm sunny days , gales in Autumn , frost in Winter .

Beautiful start to today as well and continuing,  now 22.1C not bad at all . 

Tomatoes are ripening,  sweet peas still blooming but seed pods forming ( will save for next years seed).

Cucumber plants flowering again and fruiting . 

Will sit out in garden and get the vit D I need . 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny summer with thunderstorms, freezing cold snowy winters.

Another grim day here, 100% cloud cover with the sky full of North Sea cloud. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

another lovely blue skies day here as I just got up 😅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The EC for next week has dew points of 26C in the south. That has to smash a record if there is one kept. I've rarely experienced that even when storm chasing in the US. Would feel utterly disgusting!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny warmth, thunderstorms, frost
1 minute ago, NorthSeaCloud said:

Another grim day here, 100% cloud cover with the sky full of North Sea cloud. 

I was hoping it would burn off during the morning, but the cloud has doubled down over us now.

It's been so poor for so long up here, I don't see how the season can be salvaged sufficiently to justify calling it a summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
17 minutes ago, northriding said:

I was hoping it would burn off during the morning, but the cloud has doubled down over us now.

It's been so poor for so long up here, I don't see how the season can be salvaged sufficiently to justify calling it a summer.

I feel for you folks up in the N-East...considering you were also plagued by the clag for weeks when us in the S.East were also, throughout all of May and early June. Obviously, July was dire for pretty much the entirety of the country, and early August wasn't much better. 

6/7 weeks of cloud, rain and temps in the high teens does NOT qualify as a 'summer' season! Regardless of how good that 2-3 week period was in June. That is simply Autumnal weather, and unpleasant Autumnal weather at that.

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
53 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

No complaints here... 

Too few "true summer" mornings like this since June.

Could contain:

Also started this way IMBY, however, surprise StratoCumulus has since spawned out of nowhere and completely obscured the sun. Certainly wasn't in the forecast but hopefully it will only be for a short duration? Hopefully...

• Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, razorgrain said:

Weirdly enough I seem to remember last June being nothing spectacular, even somewhat cool in the evenings. It was bad enough that I started regularly scouring news updates for any mentions of "2022 summer heatwave" and eventually stumbled upon the early predictions of the 40°c weather. I found it hard to believe at the time!

Think it was quite an 'IMBY' month, from memory. Didn't start of too fantastically but definitely plenty of warm, sunny days in the 20s and then there was the hot spell / plume that landed around the middle of the month where it exceeded 30c in London (I remember this because it was during the run-up to my holiday to Spain and I ended up pretty tanned in ol' Blighty before even setting foot in Spain! 

Upon returning from Spain, I can recall getting off the plane in London and thinking "Oh, its pretty warm here" as opposed to the usual "Bloody hell its grim!" reaction that is standard-fare for arriving back in the UK after somewhere warm and sunny. 

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 1

Posted

Been sunny all morning again, after how this year's been, the weather since Saturday has been truly unbelievable. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons

Somewhat less infilly than yesterday where it was cloudy from 11 to 2 although cleared up fully by 3ish. I would guess less moisture in the ground and a drier airmass is leading to less infill. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

The EC for next week has dew points of 26C in the south. That has to smash a record if there is one kept. I've rarely experienced that even when storm chasing in the US. Would feel utterly disgusting!

I'm personally not a fan of humidity, though I will take it if we are guaranteed thunderstorms. But otherwise, dry heat is more my sort of thing.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Gfs and ecm have really not a clue on the details of next weeks Synoptics! Is it going to be hot, very warm , dry, wet, thundery, cooler settled or unsettled 🤣 Although both models show some kind of warmth for next week for southern areas the rest of the details are vague…..😵‍💫

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Gfs and ecm have really not a clue on the details of next weeks Synoptics! Is it going to be hot, very warm , dry, wet, thundery, cooler settled or unsettled 🤣 Although both models show some kind of warmth for next week for southern areas the rest of the details are vague…..😵‍💫

It will be what your profile name suggests - any weather! 😝

• Like 1