Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - A cold start to Spring?

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the Spring chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
56 minutes ago, Cambrian said:

12z GFS op for day 10 looks like a proper Dumbo when compared with the ensemble mean 😀

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature, Art Could contain: Logo, Dynamite, Weapon, Animal, Bird, Flying Could contain: Art, Graphics, Pattern, Outdoors, Nature, Modern Art

Uppers not bad in either though.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Art, Outdoors Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Accessories, Art, Graphics, Pattern

Doesn’t look like this mild spell is gonna fly.

It's just a shame we don't see the coldest air up north make its way down towards us to maximise our chances for settling snow  later on in the month

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
6 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

What drama !

And I might even see some snow down here , although the main action looks to be further north where there’s a better chance of avoiding a snow to rain scenario .

More model changes look likely so certainly lots to keep coldies interested.

Everything was on the table hey, still is but yeah fun.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Cambrian said:

The 12z ECM op holds out a lot of promise for where the trend might ultimately take us over the next few days. 

Notable differences appear as early as day 4 - at 96h, when compared with the 0z at 108h. 12z’s first….

59546A8E-E53B-4E7E-BE30-716B4B051D3B.thumb.gif.2a70c87658ed32f5c7f866912fcac1ef.gif Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors

The trough is noticeably more disrupted, and it and the 0+ T850s are held about 100 miles further south. The -8 T850 isotherm is further south across Northern England and Northern Ireland too, with the maintenance of a direct northerly feed into Scotland.

51C05691-7733-4607-83A8-9DA5B5AEFBC0.thumb.gif.3c3bbf50d597f0ccb93103171cc65b98.gif Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, Water

Further indications that Thursday into Friday is far from resolved, and it wouldn’t be a surprise if this is just the beginning of a considerably longer holding off of the mild air towards the end of the week and into the weekend. This is a very positive development, with many more in the mix for seeing a proper, more longer lasting battleground snowfall. 

Well put Cambrian. Brave man to dare mention the end of the week. These LP`s to the West are basically the focus this week, cold is there, they are not yet.

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

You can see the latest fax charts for T36hrs and T48hrs.

The front moving south slows as that small wave develops over the southern Netherlands . 

You can see just how slow the progress of the front is between those two time periods .

T36 hrs                                                 T48 hrs

IMG_0637.thumb.GIF.c260858f04663eff184fa5fb4cff206c.GIFIMG_0639.thumb.GIF.3beb78ac8989a5b8ecdbd1c7134b71c9.GIF

That allows the colder air more chance of undercutting the precip .

Perfect Nick, can almost see you grabbing that last bit of DAM 😉

• Like 6

Posted

What a beast of a ecm12z for myself and @Battleground Snow!!but once again im gona say it wont happen lol!!funny how ecm looks better with the battleground snow events but then dont look as good as gfs and ukmo between 144 and 192 hours for the continuation of cold!!!weird that!!!!one thing that the ecm has lagged behind on is the potential snow event for tomorrow night!!it now goes full wack for snow across parts of england and works its way south!!!gfs has been on this for some time!!

• Like 6

Posted
12 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

What a beast of a ecm12z for myself and @Battleground Snow!!but once again im gona say it wont happen lol!!funny how ecm looks better with the battleground snow events but then dont look as good as gfs and ukmo between 144 and 192 hours for the continuation of cold!!!weird that!!!!one thing that the ecm has lagged behind on is the potential snow event for tomorrow night!!it now goes full wack for snow across parts of england and works its way south!!!gfs has been on this for some time!!

Thursday is an eternity away with this kind of setup, 12z EPS and mogreps are all over the shop still past day 4.

ECM control could be interesting looks to push cold south again early Friday .

Tuesday should give us a covering 

Edited by Battleground Snow
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
52 minutes ago, Chesil View said:

Irs a real pity the cold air isn't more genuinely entrenched. Its gets here about two days before it has to start fighting off the Atlantic push.

It's like busses. You wait all winter for a bit of weather, then 2 lots turn up at once.

• Like 4

Posted

510 dam air approaching north Scotland’s coast. That’s very cold air.  Over night lows sub -10C.  I wonder how far south that 510 dam line will get.  The 528 dam line is running east /west along the South Downs. Could get very snowy indeed over the South Downs midweek 🥶❄️😯

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Bear, Mammal, Wildlife, Machine, Wheel

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Can someone please post snow depths from ECM control or point us in the direction of where to find it 🙏

There is this, though the members aren't labelled so I don't know which one is the control.

https://meteologix.com/uk/forecast/2643743-london/ensemble/euro/snow

Could contain: Text

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
5 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Can someone please post snow depths from ECM control or point us in the direction of where to find it 🙏

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature, Ice, Person, Face, Head

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Still too much model variance and run to run changes to be overly confident on potential snow event across S England during Wednesday, 12z EC and UKMO / 15z UKV quite similar, but could easily end up too far south. E.g. ICON over France. More runs needed until I get too excited.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Snow depth next sat lunchtime (bucket load of salt )

Could contain: Accessories, Gemstone, Jewelry, Nature, Outdoors

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms in summer, cold/snow in winter
2 hours ago, PiscesStar said:

So, being in Herne Bay, Kent... Are we still in the snow zone at this stage? 

Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Electronics, Formal Wear, Tie, Face, Chart, Plot

As a fellow resident in the bay I'm thinking falling snow Tues/Wednesday quite likely but lying snow much less so

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!
10 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Snow depth next sat lunchtime (bucket load of salt )

Could contain: Accessories, Gemstone, Jewelry, Nature, Outdoors

I fancy you would need more than a bucket load to melt that lot 

• Like 1

Could be a Netweather first.....Drumroll..🥁...Ladies and Gentlemen I give you....wait for it ....🎆ALaro!🎆

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors It only shows that bit of Blighty, Just so happens to be in the bit I Iive! ( my new favourite model)☃️

Posted
Just now, Snowmut said:

Could be a Netweather first.....Drumroll..🥁...Ladies and Gentlemen I give you....wait for it ....🎆ALaro!🎆

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors It only shows that bit of Blighty, Just so happens to be in the bit I Iive! ( my new favourite model)☃️

Looks like a great model to me

• Like 1