Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - A cold start to Spring?

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the Spring chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
3 minutes ago, Jacob said:

May someone send me a link to where I can find the 6z ECM? Most websites only include the 0z and the 12z

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Meteociel propose le modèle deterministe de ECMWF CEP en Open-Data avec une résolution de 0.4°

Posted
4 minutes ago, Jacob said:

May someone send me a link to where I can find the 6z ECM?

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Meteociel propose le modèle deterministe de ECMWF CEP en Open-Data avec une résolution de 0.4°

3 minutes ago, Thunder Snow said:

Is the ecm taking Cumbria out of the sweet spot

Total accumulation for precipitation from now until 90 hours, impossible to say how much will be snowfall v rainfall

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map

Edited by Battleground Snow
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild, sunny winters/stormy, snowy winters and warm, dry summers
Just now, sheikhy said:
WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Thank you!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ice days,and snow,snow,snow...
5 minutes ago, Jacob said:

May someone send me a link to where I can find the 6z ECM? Most websites only include the 0z and the 12z

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Posted
6 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:
WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Total accumulation for precipitation from now until 90 hours, impossible to say how much will be snowfall v rainfall

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map

Is there anyway we can view the precipitation type charts?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, Ali1977 said:

The GEFS Mean has moved it much further north too 😍

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Plant, Rainforest, Tree, Vegetation

Pp mean is too high again for the coast, even higher than 0z 

• Like 2

Posted

No idea how good the COSMO model is but it has the snow line still across the Midlands and North Wales midnight Thursday.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Atlas, Diagram, Map, Plant, Vegetation

Posted

Looks like some of the snow showers are making it inland, I'm getting snowed on as I type, a welcome surprise considering it wasn't on any of the forecasts I saw

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

Could there still be a battle going on by next week?

Could contain: Text, Calendar

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms
17 minutes ago, thetipster said:

Forecast model: ECMWF 9km
Provider: ECMWE 06z 
Next update expected at: 19:39, in 5h 55m 37s
Update interval: 6-7 hrs
Reference time: 2023-03-07T06:00:00Z

That’s a lot of falling snow for SE Wales over around 24 hours. Heads of the valley looks a prime sweet spot 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Could contain: Chart, PlotCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Person, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
30 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

No idea how good the COSMO model is but it has the snow line still across the Midlands and North Wales midnight Thursday.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Atlas, Diagram, Map, Plant, Vegetation

Some interesting background info on COSMO: http://www.cosmo-model.org/content/support/icon/default.htm

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow

Going by some of the graphics on this page, it looks like the Wednesday low stalls during the afternoon / evening. Is the M4 corridor the sweet spot for a change? Am I seeing that correctly?

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, MidnightSnow said:

Going by some of the graphics on this page, it looks like the Wednesday low stalls during the afternoon / evening. Is the M4 corridor the sweet spot for a change? Am I seeing that correctly?

It looks that way I'd say just south of the m4 up to luton area

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Lampostwatcher said:

It looks that way I'd say just south of the m4 up to luton area

Sweet spot has adjusted a little north since even the 00z. Still time for movement north or south particularly with that second pulse coming through later on Weds.

The broad outlook from the models for Wednesday would be snow in early hours for most of southern counties, the heavier it I'd the greater accumulations will be, maybe a little patchy due to this imo. 2nd pulse maybe focused 30-50 miles north of 1st front. Much higher chance of rain for far south, the core being definately inland near rush hour may justify a amber if we get stronger agreement on exactly where it hits due to timing.

However soon it will be time to radar watch and keep track of reports. If your above 100m I'd be feeling very confident of snow settling tonight into early morning (4-7am) but even for lower places as long as your not on the weaker edge it should settle to some extent.

As for Thursday, no point in really looking too into that until tomorrow low zips out. I've got a gut feeling it could become VERY significant, maybe even on March 13 levels for the lucky ones.

• Like 6

Posted
40 minutes ago, thetipster said:

Forecast model: ECMWF 9km
Provider: ECMWE 06z 
Next update expected at: 19:39, in 5h 55m 37s
Update interval: 6-7 hrs
Reference time: 2023-03-07T06:00:00Z

Well if that was right I’d be hoping for 6 inch’s of snow or more, 23 hours in some places!!

I have v v high hopes now - just hoping it works out for many of us!! A bit of wind on high ground coukd we’ll mean blizzards too 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Arpege pushing the second wave of snow ever northward then reinforcements move in

animsqp1.gif

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 6

Posted

I actually haven't checked the models as much today as I feel they have reached the limit of what they can tell us. There continue to be differences of up to 100 miles in the extent of precipitation one way or another at less than T24, which I can't believe is normal but perhaps my memory fails me. 

I do, however, think it is very likely most places will see some white stuff at some point.

Seeing that my area in the Solent is in a weird snow shield that many hi-res models have down for zero snow cover, just seeing snow feels like it would be a bonus! Appreciate others will want more 🙂👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1