Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2023 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

reef

Posted
14 minutes ago, SunnyG said:

It's so depressing. I look at the plants in the garden being swept by this cold breeze, the grey sky, and it feels like October. I bet that October (considering we'll have En Nino by then) will be warmer than now.

Yeah, I can see that happening this year, with a very mild November and December into Christmas period. The upshot of this will be less need for the heating 👍

Posted
1 minute ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

P.S - I'm refusing to shift over to the 'Summer' chat/thread until it actually becomes Summer here in the SE, lol. 

It may be June, but its currently 11c and a cold breeze. Which for all intents and purposes is November. 

Luckily for us here sun just breaking through now but still only 9c. But I am in solidarity with your stance !

Posted
Just now, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Luckily for us here sun just breaking through now but still only 9c. But I am in solidarity with your stance !

The summer thread will start in September and last until January lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
4 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Yep. It's the chill that's getting me down now. Last 4 days here 17c 16c 14c 16c. Despite 2 of them being predominantly sunny. We getJust  Nov to March every year for chill/cold. I don't want it in June. Go away !

Unfortunately this trend looks to continue well into June 😔 I had a feeling it'd be the case because we get stuck into patterns now, and the latest models all attest to this - a West vs East split carrying on for the foreseeable. So for many of us, it's - largely dry, but with subdued temps below average maxes (especially in morning and evening), alot of cloud, and that chilly N-Sea breeze being persistent. Rubbish.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Woke up this morning hoping to see that blue thing above, but… the not-do-blue-thing is there instead. 😕 Pretty chilly too. Am hoping the sunshine shield will break apart soon, however. 

Always kind of seen the period between the beginning of June to the 21st June as a crossover between Spring and Summer. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
1 minute ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Single digits at nearly 10am in June is dire lol. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

How are the West-Country folk still dismissing this as a terrible Spring for us who don't live in there regions? Can't recall the context but I had someone yesterday telling me I was basically imagining it all, because based upon the 'averages' we've had a good Spring in the SE, and and that it was just a case of me being jealous of the weather in Wales and Cornwall. 😂

Posted
1 hour ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Really frustrating that we have to wait until 1/2pm (at the earliest) for the sky to be clear. Sunny mornings are some of my favourite periods at this time of year. 

As someone who works outside from early on I agree, there’s a limited time of the year when it can be 18c and sunny by 08.00 and a period of that is being eroded. 

Don’t get me wrong the dry is good for me, however I too love sunny mornings.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 hour ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

The thick cloud blanket (and chill) returns for the morning as per usual. This is like clockwork now. I can't remember the last time I woke up to a properly blue sky / sun coming in through my window.

Where/how/why does this muck keep re-appearing to such a degree overnight!?

Really frustrating that we have to wait until 1/2pm (at the earliest) for the sky to be clear. Sunny mornings are some of my favourite periods at this time of year. 

Sunday?

Posted
Just now, danm said:

Sunday?

I was over in Kent then, and it was cloudy that morning. 

Regardless, that's nearly an entire week of sunless mornings which is poor in my book for early summer...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

The bad news is we've yet again woken up to cloudy skies for many southern, central and eastern areas of England and Wales. The good news is that the cloud will break up much more quickly today. Clearer skies are already rolling into the London region.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Single digits at nearly 10am in June is dire lol. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

How are the West-Country folk still dismissing this as a terrible Spring for us who don't live in there regions? Can't recall the context but I had someone yesterday telling me I was basically imagining it all, because based upon the 'averages' we've had a good Spring in the SE, and and that it was just a case of me being jealous of the weather in Wales and Cornwall. 😂

Well averages are just that. True for Dudley last couple of weeks lots of sunny days but temps never exceeded 22c. Which was in fact 1 day. A couple of 21c's. The rest average/below average. It's the perception you get. In my case never truly warm. 

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Woke up this morning hoping to see that blue thing above, but… the not-do-blue-thing is there instead. 😕 Pretty chilly too. Am hoping the sunshine shield will break apart soon, however. 

Always kind of seen the period between the beginning of June to the 21st June as a crossover between Spring and Summer. 

I find mid May until the June solstice as the transition from spring to full summer. The real hot weather usually turns up once we reach or pass the June solstice. 

1991 and 94 took time to get going and the hot spells came after late June. Maybe 2023 will follow?

5 minutes ago, danm said:

Sunday?

Yeah it was blue skies all day between last Wednesday until Sunday. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

Well there was hope at 9 this morning a brief blue sky here in Norfolk, but has filled in just as quick as it came along…Cannot see this breaking I really can’t, the wind is still so cold and 11c making it feel even colder….I can’t remember a time having this type of set up for so long in Norfolk….We have hardly had any sun this spring, and when we have it’s been that nagging breeze.

In a southwesterly/ southerly wind direction Norwich always leads the highest temperatures this time of year. Many times we have had temps at 25c by mid morning, then cool off a lot once the sea breeze kicks in by early afternoon, where Heathrow normally takes the lead.

Absolutely no sign of a 25c anytime soon here let alone a 30c 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, laddie said:

Lot brighter today but it's what seems like day 1000 of the relentless NW wind

Yeah it’s been woeful with that cold wind since March.

Don’t worry folks, because from September until December we will get those lovely south westerlies when we don’t want them 🤣

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I find mid May until the June solstice as the transition from spring to full summer. The real hot weather usually turns up once we reach or pass the June solstice. 

It's all luck IMO. Last year for instance, we'd already exceeded 25c more than once (across most of the country) by late May. Early June saw regular 20c+ sunny days, and then we had the big plume as we headed into mid June with some serious heat. I see next to zero chance of that happening this year - the set-up just isn't there. We're still overall a very 'cool' feeling, with it only feeling properly warm when the sun is out. 

So this year, my bet is that we'll have to wait for July for any proper warmth/heat, at least outside of the Western areas of the country.

Bear in mind, we had a similar set-up in 2021 and that year we had the summer solstice in June at the same temps as the winter solstice 6 months prior lol. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Another chilly morning in London.. could say cold in the wind.

I don't care if the sun comes out at 2pm and it reaches 40*C - if the mornings require jeans and thick jackets then it's not summer weather. Meh!

Posted
22 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

I am definitely jealous of the weather in the West, doesn't mean I am imagining that London has had a crappy spring, because it has! Dull March, indifferent April, cold May. It's June and I could do with the heating on: how is this not rubbish????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
18 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

1991 and 94 took time to get going and the hot spells came after late June. Maybe 2023 will follow?

Yep, often the case with the hot weather. Some of the hottest spells occurring towards July (especially the July and August period. That hot spell last year was incredible). 

I could quite easily see this year following the same pattern as those. Feel unconfident of seeing something as hot as last year, although that 38*C+ spell was very exceptional. The most flamingly hot temperatures to have witnessed. A bit higher than what I have experienced in the likes of Italy and Spain.

Edited by DiagonalRedLine

Posted
10 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

It's all luck IMO. Last year for instance, we'd already exceeded 25c more than once (across most of the country) by late May. Early June saw regular 20c+ sunny days, and then we had the big plume as we headed into mid June with some serious heat. I see next to zero chance of that happening this year - the set-up just isn't there. We're still overall a very 'cool' feeling, with it only feeling properly warm when the sun is out. 

So this year, my bet is that we'll have to wait for July for any proper warmth/heat, at least outside of the Western areas of the country.

Bear in mind, we had a similar set-up in 2021 and that year we had the summer solstice in June at the same temps as the winter solstice 6 months prior lol. 

New Years' Eve 2021 was warmer than today lol I remember my friends playing tennis in shorts and I had to keep the windows open it was so warm

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Another chilly morning in London.. could say cold in the wind.

I don't care if the sun comes out at 2pm and it reaches 40*C - if the mornings require jeans and thick jackets then it's not summer weather. Meh!

Yeah, if this continues for The whole summer, it will be poor. Sunshine after 3pm is no good if the mornings are cold and dull. 

5 minutes ago, SunnyG said:

New Years' Eve 2021 was warmer than today lol I remember my friends playing tennis in shorts and I had to keep the windows open it was so warm

Yes I remember that, but it was also a dull dank fest. And by the 3-4th of January it was back to frosty cold and sunny, which was in opinion the better option.

Posted

Finally an early break up of the clouds, should hopefully be a good end to probably the most miserable week of the year so far.

Edited by Snowy L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Seasonal

Brighter here in East Norfolk - but no blue sky yet. Cold on the morning dog walk. Promise of something better tomorrow (always a promise!) before the cloud returns from Sunday onwards. It's so cold!!!