Hot?
IGNORED

Spring 2023 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

reef

Posted
8 hours ago, SunSean said:

Final table

Cornwall had a May 2020.

South West England and other Western areas did really well for sun.

South East ended mostly decent but not so much for the East.

Yorkshire didn't fare so well!

Probably be a similar chart for June too since the "West is best" pattern is looking to carry on for a bit longer at least. 

Also to note, I don't think Herstmonceux is a great representation of East Sussex since Eastbourne, who don't do daily sunshine totals apparently, always come out as one of the sunniest places. 

Also, was West Yorkshire really that dull??

Could contain: Text

I've noticed many a time that Herstmonceux often seems anomalously dull and Manston anomalously sunny (and dry) compare to the other SE locations.  

We got off lightly round here, it's not often Shawbury is that high up in the warmer half of the year. 221 there is more than any May between 1997 and 2018! There wasn't even one over 200 between 2001 and 2016. 

• Like 1

Posted

If find it interesting that the vast majority had average or above average maxima during May, I wouldn't have thought this to be the case, given the carry on we've had in this thread the last couple weeks 🤣2023_5_MaxTemp_Anomaly_1991-2020.thumb.gif.e03a3695880946695f3cc809efd1e539.gif

And again, sunshine average or above, for most, even in the East 2023_5_Sunshine_Anomaly_1991-2020.thumb.gif.427b203c63e69e0d42bfabc863e8079a.gif

Dry too

2023_5_Rainfall_Anomaly_1991-2020.thumb.gif.033631571df64a685e192d6461d4b119.gif

• Insightful 1

Posted

Not a chance the temperature map is correct for my location!

From memory, same as last month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
28 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

What's that bright thing in the sky? 🤔

Could contain: Flare, Light, Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Sunlight, Cloud, Cumulus, Weather, Tree

A UFO

22 minutes ago, richie3846 said:

If find it interesting that the vast majority had average or above average maxima during May, I wouldn't have thought this to be the case, given the carry on we've had in this thread the last couple weeks 🤣2023_5_MaxTemp_Anomaly_1991-2020.thumb.gif.e03a3695880946695f3cc809efd1e539.gif

And again, sunshine average or above, for most, even in the East 2023_5_Sunshine_Anomaly_1991-2020.thumb.gif.427b203c63e69e0d42bfabc863e8079a.gif

Dry too

2023_5_Rainfall_Anomaly_1991-2020.thumb.gif.033631571df64a685e192d6461d4b119.gif

It's perception imo. Temps have been often bang on average, but that doesn't "feel" warm. Because we usually have plenty of spikes *above* average (and below).

For instance in London it's been largely around the mean temps (albeit with lots of cloud and a cold wind) but the lack of those 20c+ spells we usually have in April and May has given the feeling that it's been overall cool. Which it has, from a perception perspective 

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Airedalejoe said:

Not a chance the temperature map is correct for my location!

From memory, same as last month.

Maybe those temperature maps are based on their forecasts, rather than reality 😀. Pretty sure it didn't get above 14c here today, and I'm a long way from the coast .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
52 minutes ago, richie3846 said:

Dry too

Always interesting to view the actuals map alongside the anomalies. 

If I look at my location, London, from an anomaly POV, for mean max temperatures it's been bang average versus above average further west. But in terms of actual temperatures London has been on par with those western areas:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person

From a sunshine perspective, the SE/London been average or a little below for the month of May. From an actual sunshine hours standpoint (see below) it is surprisingly not too far off many western areas. The best part of the country for sunshine last month was coastal Devon, Dorset and Cornwall, plus the extreme SW and NW of Wales:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Edited by danm
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
4 hours ago, dryfie said:

Afraid you're going to be very disappointed.  Many of the Met climate sites in the south and west of Scotland have been piling in with 22/23 for days on end.  Further, wouldn't accept data is being reliable from any airport anywhere in the UK.

Why? Airports are actually cooler than towns and cities.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Interesting to read perspectives on the current recent conditions. As would be expected those further east and south east who would normally expect to see the driest sunniest and warmest weather are remarking on the lack of it relatively speaking, though it is dry in said regions. However, as ive said this is the time of year of slow moving easterly spells that can result in a role reverse. Not every year, and not often to the same scale as now, but it is not unprecedented. If we were in the late June to Feb period I would describe as exceptional, but not in late May/ early June. It doesn't make it any better. Believe me I'll be moaning when the dreaded SW flow returns, whilst those in the south and east languish in the sun and heat. 

I genuinely stand to be corrected, but;  I recollect reading that for all the months and all regions there is only when the prevailing wind is not SW’ly.  That is May in Scotland where it is E’ly.  Correct?

Posted
4 minutes ago, danm said:

Always interesting to view the actuals map alongside the anomalies. 

If I look at my location, London, from an anomaly POV, it's been bang average versus above average further west. But in terms of actual temperatures London has been on par with those western areas:

From a sunshine perspective, the SE/London been average or a little below for the month of May. From an actual sunshine hours standpoint (see below) it is surprisingly not too far off many western areas. The best part of the country for sunshine last month was coastal Devon, Dorset and Cornwall, plus the extreme SW and NW of Wales:

Heathrow actually slightly above average for May, around 220 hours. Normal is 208.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, B87 said:

Heathrow actually slightly above average for May, around 220 hours.

Says a lot that doesn't it? I bet many will be very surprised by that statistic. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, danm said:

Says a lot that doesn't it? I bet many will be very surprised by that statistic. 

The spring as a whole has still been very dull though, with March and April just being shambolic throughout.

Heathrow's average temp for May was 18.6c/9.3c, a mean of 14.0c so average temperature wise.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
30 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

A UFO

It's perception imo. Temps have been often bang on average, but that doesn't "feel" warm. Because we usually have plenty of spikes *above* average (and below).

For instance in London it's been largely around the mean temps (albeit with lots of cloud and a cold wind) but the lack of those 20c+ spells we usually have in April and May has given the feeling that it's been overall cool. Which it has, from a perception perspective 

No, not a UFO, a UAP: an Unexplained Aerial Phenomenon! 😁

Posted
14 minutes ago, B87 said:

The spring as a whole has still been very dull though, with March and April just being shambolic throughout.

Agree. The second half of May saved the month from a sunshine perspective. 

Overall for the entire Spring, much of southern England and Wales, NE ENgland, Northern Ireland and eastern Scotland (plus the Hebrides) have all been dull. Only parts of NW England, NW Wales and W Scotland had above average sunshine:

Looking at the actuals does paint a different picture and highlights how perceptions differ based on what people experience vs the average for their location:

For rainfall, much of southern and eastern parts of England and Wales plus N Ireland were a lot wetter than average:

Actuals again shows little difference north to south. So NW Scotland had a very dry month, versus much wetter in the SE, but actually much of western Scotland  had more rain this Spring than the SE:

For mean max temperatures, W Scotland, N Ireland, NW England SW Wales and SW England were all above average. Only the N Kent coast and parts of the Suffolk and Norfolk coasts were appreciably below average: 

Actual mean maxes turned out as below:

Edited by danm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, Snowy L said:

Same here cloud no problem rolling in at the time the sun should easily be beating it. The North Sea should not be this strong of a  cloud machine in June.

to do with land v sea temps I think, March and April, the mist is not as thick, burns off sooner, Feb it dosent even seem to roll in at all

Posted

Just shows that what we think of as a poor month in the SE would be considered average or even good elsewhere in the country!

I looked at Sheffield's summer 2021, and if that was a London summer we would be complaining non stop! I understand it was a decent summer up there though?

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, B87 said:

Just shows that what we think of as a poor month in the SE would be considered average or even good elsewhere in the country!

I looked at Sheffield's summer 2021, and if that was a London summer we would be complaining non stop! I understand it was a decent summer up there though?

A London summer that fails to register a month of 25-30c is a poor one in my book. 21-22c for days on end with cloud and breezy conditions doesn’t cut the mustard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

A London summer that fails to register a month of 25-30c is a poor one in my book. 21-22c for days on end with cloud and breezy conditions doesn’t cut the mustard.

Yeah. A July or August averaging 22c is awful for summer.

• Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, danm said:

Agree. The second half of May saved the month from a sunshine perspective. 

Overall for the entire Spring, much of southern England and Wales, NE ENgland, Northern Ireland and eastern Scotland (plus the Hebrides) have all been dull. Only parts of NW England, NW Wales and W Scotland had above average sunshine:

Looking at the actuals does paint a different picture and highlights how perceptions differ based on what people experience vs the average for their location:

For rainfall, much of southern and eastern parts of England and Wales plus N Ireland were a lot wetter than average:

Actuals again shows little difference north to south. So NW Scotland had a very dry month, versus much wetter in the SE, but actually much of western Scotland  had more rain this Spring than the SE:

For mean max temperatures, W Scotland, N Ireland, NW England SW Wales and SW England were all above average. Only the N Kent coast and parts of the Suffolk and Norfolk coasts were appreciably below average: 

Actual mean maxes turned out as below:

That’s a really good bit of analysis, which does show the importance of perception.  Over the whole of spring, my location (just north of Manchester on west side of Pennines) appears to have had very similar sunshine, temp and rainfall to London.  After a slow start, my perception is of a good spring, whilst in London the perception is of a bad one.  The anomalies all show positive for NW England, and 2 1/2 weeks of glorious weather (warm, sunny and comfortable is perfect for me, rather than heat) to finish May, heighten that perception considerably.

Of course, endless moist SW-NW winds over an inflated Azores high - a very common synoptic the last few summers (most summers really), and it’s a very different story.

I’m enjoying the current weather, but can sympathise with those more often under grey stratus and a nagging cold wind.  

Edited by Maz
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

A UFO

I can understand that, though that doesn't explain why you've had average sun down there, and still talk about a lot of cold and cloud. Glass half full or empty may also play a part. London has landed around average for temperatures, sunshine and rain. There is no evidence to suggest you guys have had the appalling month I've heard about on this thread day after day. 

Maybe a little bit of green envy has skewed perceptions? Difficult to accept average when the west is basking in 16 hours of sunshine every day?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

Just back from a relativey finally warm and sunny london to the cloudy fridge. The joy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Came up to the midlands for business for a few days and it’s like a different season compared to back home! 🥶

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, richie3846 said:

Dry too

I find these maps fascinating, in months where convective rain occured you can genuinely see where the heaviest storms occurred.

• Like 1

Posted

For all the justified moaning about the endless nor easterly it must be said that where and when the sun does appear the conditions are pretty much perfect; gentle breeze, reasonable temps, cool nights. The cycling today in Shropshire/Mid Wales was fantastic. 

Apparently picking up tomorrow in Lincs/E England so thumbs up all round.