Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2023 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

reef

Posted

Well cold nagging northerly seems to have been with us forever. Summer has arrived with a bang! Lunchtime walk in a fleece. Even when sun was shining last week, soon as it got late in the day, started to feel the chill. 

Posted

Just looking at the synoptics of the last few weeks , imagine what would the weather be like if this was January or February.  

• Like 2

Just been walking the dog down the beach and have to say I was surprised to feel the water was surprisingly mild. It’s usually absolutely tepid at this time of the year. 

Beautiful evening all around! 

Posted
18 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Just looking at the synoptics of the last few weeks , imagine what would the weather be like if this was January or February.  

The skin would be peeling from my face I suspect, with cold dry wind and grey skies, and very chilly temperatures. Some light powder snow with absolutely no moisture in the air otherwise. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, richie3846 said:

The skin would be peeling from my face I suspect, with cold dry wind and grey skies, and very chilly temperatures. Some light powder snow with absolutely no moisture in the air otherwise. 

I imagine very bleak, grey leaden skies, snow flurries and temps in the 0-3 degree range. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Despite the second half of May being largely settled with plenty of sunshine for some areas, it still isn't enough to save what has overall been a poor spring. It took way too long for it to warm up which got tiresome, and on the most part was quite dull. My verdict on each spring month is as follows:

March - The most mixed month of the season bringing a mixture of wintry and more springlike conditions. I enjoyed the snow event which happened early in the month, particularly as my area didn't have any snow during the winter. I like the fact that the month was quite varied, but what let it down was the lack of sunshine. It was dull on many days.

April - I found this to be the most trying month of the season. Not much sunshine and temps stuck mostly in the 10-14 Celsius range throughout which got boring. A bit of spring warmth and sunshine wouldn't have gone amiss.

May - First half of May continued with the dull theme seen throughout most of April, albeit warmer with my neck of the woods seeing its first 20 Celsius day of the year on the 7th. It was nice to see temps finally making progress, but there was a lot of rain and not much in the way of dry useable days. The second half of May was much more settled and warmer with sunshine for many areas. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Something of a collectors item. Don’t think I’ve seen the weather app on my phone have ten days of full sun! 

Could contain: Text, Electronics, Mobile Phone, Phone, Number, Symbol

Edited by Alderc

Posted

Another day. Still wall to wall cloud.

11 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Something of a collectors item. Don’t think I’ve seen the weather app on my phone have ten days of full sun! 

Which app is that please?

3 minutes ago, Rammie said:

Another day. Still wall to wall cloud.

Which app is that please?

That’s the standard iPhone app that’s prebuilt into the phone. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
49 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Funny you say that. I’ve got such a screenshot from early last august which is the only other time I’ve seen that on the app.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

Happy Groundhog day!

• Thanks 1

Posted

Someone posted in the other thread where a town recorded 56 days without rainfall last year. I can see that being beaten. My location is nearing 20 odd days now, the last 10 have been unbroken sunshine bar Tuesday. The ECM day 10 chart is amazingly similar to that of today, no sign of anywhere seeing rain for the foreseeable.

In the last 5years we’ve now had June 2020 which recorded 0.6mm, May 2020 with just 0.4mm and last July which was completely dry. All incredibly rare. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
21 minutes ago, KTtom said:

Someone posted in the other thread where a town recorded 56 days without rainfall last year. I can see that being beaten. My location is nearing 20 odd days now, the last 10 have been unbroken sunshine bar Tuesday. The ECM day 10 chart is amazingly similar to that of today, no sign of anywhere seeing rain for the foreseeable.

Pattern change next week matey....Pattern change next weekend....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
Just now, ANYWEATHER said:

Pattern change next week matey....Pattern change next weekend....

Folk have been saying that for over a week now.  I’ll believe it when I see it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

The thick cloud blanket (and chill) returns for the morning as per usual. This is like clockwork now. I can't remember the last time I woke up to a properly blue sky / sun coming in through my window.

Where/how/why does this muck keep re-appearing to such a degree overnight!?

Really frustrating that we have to wait until 1/2pm (at the earliest) for the sky to be clear. Sunny mornings are some of my favourite periods at this time of year. 

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
8 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Despite the second half of May being largely settled with plenty of sunshine for some areas, it still isn't enough to save what has overall been a poor spring. It took way too long for it to warm up which got tiresome, and on the most part was quite dull. My verdict on each spring month is as follows:

March - The most mixed month of the season bringing a mixture of wintry and more springlike conditions. I enjoyed the snow event which happened early in the month, particularly as my area didn't have any snow during the winter. I like the fact that the month was quite varied, but what let it down was the lack of sunshine. It was dull on many days.

April - I found this to be the most trying month of the season. Not much sunshine and temps stuck mostly in the 10-14 Celsius range throughout which got boring. A bit of spring warmth and sunshine wouldn't have gone amiss.

May - First half of May continued with the dull theme seen throughout most of April, albeit warmer with my neck of the woods seeing its first 20 Celsius day of the year on the 7th. It was nice to see temps finally making progress, but there was a lot of rain and not much in the way of dry useable days. The second half of May was much more settled and warmer with sunshine for many areas. 

Yes, a well balanced view of what Spring was actually like!

7 minutes ago, AWD said:

Folk have been saying that for over a week now.  I’ll believe it when I see it!

I've not seen anybody saying that until now.....😂

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
2 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Yes, a well balanced view of what Spring was actually like!

I've not seen anybody saying that until now.....😂

You must have been hibernating then!  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
21 minutes ago, James1979 said:

Happy Groundhog day!

It's what I call "living in a Tupperware box". 

Sometimes our great overlords above are nice enough to take the lid off the box for a few hours in the afternoon so we can get some light. Before they put it back on for the evening, of course.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
3 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

It's what I call "living in a Tupperware box". 

Sometimes our great overlords above are nice enough to take the lid off the box for a few hours in the afternoon so we can get some light. Before they put it back on for the evening, of course.

😄  I've also called it the lid for many a year!  Just as I see it too. 

There are the tiniest of blue holes here and there now, who knows, maybe we'll be treated today! 🤗

Posted
16 minutes ago, James1979 said:

😄  I've also called it the lid for many a year!  Just as I see it too. 

There are the tiniest of blue holes here and there now, who knows, maybe we'll be treated today! 🤗

It will probably clear by afternoon, but it's still frustrating - these mornings feel genuinely chilly, no warmth in the air at all. Even the birds have been more quiet that usual due to the lack of sunny mornings!

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

The thick cloud blanket (and chill) returns for the morning as per usual. This is like clockwork now. I can't remember the last time I woke up to a properly blue sky / sun coming in through my window.

Where/how/why does this muck keep re-appearing to such a degree overnight!?

Really frustrating that we have to wait until 1/2pm (at the earliest) for the sky to be clear. Sunny mornings are some of my favourite periods at this time of year. 

It's so depressing. I look at the plants in the garden being swept by this cold breeze, the grey sky, and it feels like October. I bet that October (considering we'll have En Nino by then) will be warmer than now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, SunnyG said:

It's so depressing. I look at the plants in the garden being swept by this cold breeze, the grey sky, and it feels like October. I bet that October (considering we'll have En Nino by then) will be warmer than now.

Wouldn't be surprising, we often reach 20c in October, and definitely have many sunny days in the mid to high teens. The shorter days just make the sunshine less usable. 

Of course, we're around the period of the year with longest daylight hours...which means it'll be cloudy for 75% of the time. Because Britain.

Apparently sunrises and sunsets are a thing. I've seen them on Google.

• Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, SunnyG said:

Yep. It's the chill that's getting me down now. Last 4 days here 17c 16c 14c 16c. Despite 2 of them being predominantly sunny. We get Nov to March every year for chill/cold. I don't want it in June. Go away !

• Like 2

Posted

P.S - I'm refusing to shift over to the 'Summer' chat/thread until it actually becomes Summer here in the SE, lol. 

It may be June, but its currently 11c and a cold breeze. Which for all intents and purposes is November. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1