Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Mid Summer Onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

10 day outlook, EC left and GFS right...
image.thumb.png.cedfdecb9037cb4a0d24680dfd580613.pngimage.thumb.png.faaf8438292f24f6bc249b8a4a81d37a.png

Today - Looks like some heavy showers in the east, the odd banger perhaps

image.thumb.png.3a8e4dfbf344a2c1ba744107f2a77ec3.pngimage.thumb.png.3dcf7c2e3a88d5cf9b023bd8dccc20c7.png

Tomorrow - Showers more widespread but lighter and well scattered in nature with sunny spells between them

image.thumb.png.79c7d21a8045d56f389d103a62cc9047.pngimage.thumb.png.6acbe864ec342150c9cd69d64d0b8597.png

Friday - A mostly cloudy day with a bit of patchy rain in places, perhaps something more persistent in western Scotland

image.thumb.png.c1d45a709ae91ad99ecf4c39d6c92f75.pngimage.thumb.png.e5a11bf79cb36191e3f67123e06b341f.png

Saturday - Yuck, a real stinker of a chart.

image.thumb.png.e432731d8b12ba02c87f53b06b72c499.pngimage.thumb.png.10ad541f0669a75cee37360432ae8e77.png

Sunday - Uncertainty creeps in, EC goes for a washout over northern England and southern Scotland. Thundery showers further south. GFS has a more muted pattern.

image.thumb.png.c9cbe028aed7e77a998d2fa7793294de.pngimage.thumb.png.2e2800d5ee5d8ac3d1ae3e38a2f8d42c.png

Middle of next week - Returning to something more generic for a time with the GFS throwing up a small ridge... might be as good as it gets.

image.thumb.png.d4b123851564f0e04bc2cf37ea876d98.pngimage.thumb.png.c76f08c6eda90931c45a79aa701342cb.png

End of the week - GFS still pushing low pressure across us, unsettled and wet. EC going in a similar direction albeit slower.

image.thumb.png.04d5714c3545036c2417dce497712b16.png

Temperature wise... northern Europe the only area of the globe with substantially below average temperatures aside from pockets of cold anomalies in Antarctica. Stuck in a rut!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

In a nutshell, unsettled all the way ,no sign of settled summery weather even in the Ten day charts of FI........😰

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.
10 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

Im not going over this yet again. If you think that then scroll on. I dont care. 

This subject has been done to death, theres a reason why i use these charts as the basic guide ...

That is fine we all have our own personal opinions and I support that. 

Personally still follow on what I stated yesterday, I feel the anomalies will take longer to pick up on a drier and warmer signal. Granted, we may get a few days in and the signal wanes, but the latter parts of the GFS recently has been consistent with the Azores High pushing east and it becoming drier. The ensembles think so too. Let's wait and see what the other models think when it gets to 216/240hrs. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

So the schools break up on Friday. And the charts from the ECM & GFS are dire. They were some settled days next week on yesterday’s GFS06Z output but that now seems very unlikely. Seems the order of next week is showers or longer spells of rain. Anyone away in this country next week I feel so sorry for. 😩😩

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
11 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

The desperation for people to see some summer like charts are becoming more apparent with their frustration on the current weather and output. Yes the weather will improve at some point, but with the failure of long range computer models and teleconections forecasts gone horribly wrong ,for me personally! I have little faith in charts and forecasts away from the current dross that's shown.  But keep the faith folks ,the weather will improve,  as and when the weather does ☺

I wouldnt read in to the teleconections too much. With GSDM you are told not to try and fit them in to your prefered outcome in the winter, I dont see why it should be different in summer. There are other Global pattern that can dictate European circulation, like the persistant subtropical ridges who once they establish are dificult to turn around, remember 2007,2012 or 2015. Those were all lenghty hot periods in south/central Europe, and really long unsettled UK spells. The GSDM probably more useful tool for American continent as it starts to affect them first by the tíme the Rossby Wave is supposed to hit Europe who knows at what angles will the cyclonic/anticyclonic wave breaks happen. I know at certain times like perhaps this May and June you could call the GSDM a success with what happened but there were equal amount of times when it did not lead to prefed outcomes. Another issue is timing and its dangerous to presume certain dates of Large scale changes as I ve seen forecasters ending being laughed at on Twitter when they tried to use GSDM for a specific forecast dates ended being wrong/or few hundred miles out.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
5 minutes ago, josh-weather said:

What is GDSM? I can't find any reference to it except for here 🙃

Its a subseasonal tool used/created by some now retired NOAA senior meteorologists(Barry,Wieckerman) that calculates a ballance between global wind circulation(budget) vs speed of which Earth turns around its axis. These always seek an equilibrium so where is a complex method how one can try to predict at what lattitude will the westerlies/easterlies increase or decrease based on this budget/ballance.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.psl.noaa.gov/map/clim/wb2007_ams.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwitzuHAs5qAAxVISvEDHa2-DOMQFnoECAkQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0kx_Hm2WLuIDTQzT68qE4r

• Thanks 1

Posted

ECM ensembles update for the end of the month ... still less than half of members suggesting a clear-cut change of pattern to something more settled, generally through the Azores High. However, things generally flatter out west (which is a start), and less unsettled to the NE than of late:

gens_paneldzp51907202300Z_T300_php.thumb.png.d8a84d18375bbc418d447d4fba51b06f.png

The clusters format shows the rather high numbers of possibilities more clearly - the one that continues to elude is the one which might have the best chance of leading to a heatwave - a strong build of heights through central Europe

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2023071900_300.thumb.png.ab2d8f4df378f0c435b7c910f5e932ed.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

ECM ensembles update for the end of the month ... still less than half of members suggesting a clear-cut change of pattern to something more settled, generally through the Azores High. However, things generally flatter out west (which is a start), and less unsettled to the NE than of late:

gens_paneldzp51907202300Z_T300_php.thumb.png.d8a84d18375bbc418d447d4fba51b06f.png

The clusters format shows the rather high numbers of possibilities more clearly - the one that continues to elude is the one which might have the best chance of leading to a heatwave - a strong build of heights through central Europe

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2023071900_300.thumb.png.ab2d8f4df378f0c435b7c910f5e932ed.png

Only cluster 5 looks anything like ok to me .

The rest suggest the beginning of August looks crap.

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Only cluster 5 looks anything like ok to me .

The rest suggest the beginning of August looks crap.

2 and 3 at least break the wave 5 pattern. Those are snapshots but would imagine we would at least have more changeable weather (e.g. occasional weak ridges) rather than the fixed endless low pressure influence we have now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
6 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

The Anomalies -

John Holmes's posts, aided by his long-time 'apprentice', Mushy have been, pretty much spot on over last few weeks.  So, together with latest UK Meto's medium term forecasts, i see no reason to dismiss them.

Been the most reliable weather predictor for this month. 

If the Anomolies were wrong, would that be an anomaly? 😉😄

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

The EC46 seems to possibly be coalescing around a flatter Atlantic than we've seen of late for the first week of August?

image.thumb.png.5c321e84a2ad7a2be01c6599e32815fd.pngimage.thumb.png.88e6e5dfeef26d6fa41404bbc1da19d6.png

Latest GEFS extended for comparison

image.thumb.png.65c47ab837f677cf38db65afa7b4d60c.pngimage.thumb.png.9f3df58cf136a0d4b05681d59f88a2b7.png

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

The Anomalies -

John Holmes's posts, aided by his long-time 'apprentice', Mushy have been, pretty much spot on over last few weeks.  So, together with latest UK Meto's medium term forecasts, i see no reason to dismiss them.

Fully agree.   Winter as well they are now my goto for broadscale week 2. Anything beyond is subject to chaos and day 10 Op runs have left me with egg on my face and disappointment to many times.

Guesswork / hope / chance and good luck for week 3 and beyond

Anomalies for a framework to work within for week 2

Pretty good confidence on detail now up to day 6

Is how I like to play it now

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, Bristle Si said:

The Anomalies -

I also use the EPS now as well, that suite often supports the NOAA but as its a daily slider we can spot minor changes within the NOAA anomaly chart mean. I find using both together when they agree has made them even more accurate, and with the EPS going out a little further, gives us a stronger view of the horizon..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Bristle Si said:

The Anomalies -

They have been superb recently, yes. I feel they do particularly well when things are stable. The 6-10 chart I feel pretty confident about. During some recent summers the 8-14 has missed a couple of heatwaves. But it's usually a good guide. The problem is probably us - we desire concrete predictions as far into the future as possible, and we're perhaps not as close to that as we'd like especially beyond D10.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
38 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

They have been superb recently, yes. I feel they do particularly well when things are stable. The 6-10 chart I feel pretty confident about. During some recent summers the 8-14 has missed a couple of heatwaves. But it's usually a good guide. The problem is probably us - we desire concrete predictions as far into the future as possible, and we're perhaps not as close to that as we'd like especially beyond D10.

To  "stable" id add "regular" ... as in when we have a regular longwave pattern from the West. They do pick out incoming ridges/troughs very well as a rule.. but blocked patterns is when they arent at their best (but nor is any other tool).
But look at us.... amateurs talking about picking out developing patterns at day ten ! not only from anomalies either... i remember when the pros could get past day three!

Thats a testiment to how far the understanding of our weather has come in conjunction with modern technology.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I agree, Tamara; how can anyone hope for a prognosis without a diagnosis? But, that said, after-the-fact 'I told you so's' are more than enough for some. Twas ever thus? 🤔

• Like 6

Posted

Quick thanks to Tamara for all the time and effort put into this site. Certainly requires patience along with all the knowledge.

The following charts are possibly a good way of viewing the weeklies, using probabilities to help add weight to the view. This is the latest run.

Next weeks Lower Tercile Probability for Surface Pressure (I'd take that probability gamble to Monte Carlo and put it all on Red)

image.thumb.png.7244a4f1d91639cbf7b9bfc28bea1dd9.png

The week 7 to 14 August is a major improvement over the week before

image.thumb.png.5cb064ce1cbcdf2dbdba3dbc713f025b.png

• Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

I agree, Tamara; how can anyone hope for a prognosis without a diagnosis? But, that said, after-the-fact 'I told you so's' are more than enough for some. Twas ever thus? 🤔

With a name like yours, you should certainly know it was ever thus

• Like 1