Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - September 2023

Supacell

Posted
2 minutes ago, infiniteblackskies said:

Worst storm season ever for me here in Hampshire. Can someone tell me why literally every storm system this year just ends up in the Midlands/North? I thought after all this heat my area would get at least something but once again… 😞 

It’s been no worse here than 2022 and 2021 which also featured absolutely no storms. Three years running now in summer. We seem to do better in May/October for thunder so here’s hoping.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

That cell is dying off absolutely, hope we get some rain at least lol

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 minute ago, LIGHTNING ACTION said:

I think I'm dreaming....

IMG_0031.thumb.jpeg.eebc4a069f95d9bf5107e1f757713b07.jpegIMG_0030.thumb.jpeg.57fbd52a6c4d79607c0846dc396f0380.jpeg

IMG_0035.thumb.jpeg.3121e4fc96c6861e6b4c802115d0f4eb.jpeg

That looks like a funnel on the 2nd pic,...nice shots BTW😊

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
19 minutes ago, parhelion said:

I wondered about that, too. About the time it was close to Immingham? I'm still not sure whether it was just backbuilding or whether it briefly had some supercellular characteristics.

It's now resumed the NE direction. It did have a hook briefly early on so it could be an supercell.

Posted

Dropping cooler still..

IMG_20230909_194500.thumb.jpg.3fd0672b88c06c761a35a173d177ae3e.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, anything interesting

Good looking ukv run for East Midlands northwards. Idk how strong these storms might be 

IMG_0315.webp

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

There's been some fantastic photos posted of todays storms, massive congratulations to those that managed to get a storm

Tomorrow is looking very interesting for Many areas further north, so hopefully those of you that missed out today will get some proper storms tomorrow. 

The latest UKv is pretty much a variation of the same theme from today's 12z So all to play for 

I'm going to risk it for a biscuit and head towards Weymouth/Charmouth way, any storms that do fire  this evening will be elevated, so I should still be able to capture something even if storms develop slightly further west

Good luck everyone in the coming 24 hours or so ⛈️🌩️⚡😜 

If they're any locals in here from west Dorset, with knowledge of locations that are reasonably high and have good all round views, please can you let me know, cheers 

Edited by Southern Storm
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Hi gang, just noticed possible several cells breaking out over north of breast peninsula, and here on west mendip i  c an see tops of a few threatening clouds way to my south of south west. Im hoping that its just kicked off for us further south and hoping that you further north get a few imports from the west country , just getting stuck in to our sausage baps and oven crinkle chips cheers all .

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
1 minute ago, Tony M said:

Just before the rain hit, a few miles east of York. When it arrived, it was squally with very strong gusts. 

Could contain:

Could contain:

Looks like a bowing segment

Posted
6 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Dropping cooler still..

IMG_20230909_194500.thumb.jpg.3fd0672b88c06c761a35a173d177ae3e.jpg

The cell that was active South of Stoke, it appears the setting sun has killed off the energy in it, leaving gorgeous sunset in it's wake 😍

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

As @Southern Storm said some fantastic photos, particularly of the storms at sunset...really envious in a nice way...although storms tomorrow are forecast further north im really hoping we can eek out a few surprises further south than today also...(please 🙏)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Some frequent lightning towards Market Weighton way rounding off the day nicely 🙂