Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - September 2023

Supacell

Posted
9 minutes ago, Liam Burge said:

For those thinking they're gonna miss out in the SW, I believe most in somerset will see a massive thunderstorm roll through sometime between 2am and 3am. We can already see the start of it forming in the channel, and it's expected to merge together into a massive storm.

image.thumb.png.d980cba7813b17ea9f29510142213289.png

Let's hope your right fella,appears to be a bit more action just off of brest so fingers crossed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Saw quite a few flashes when driving on the M18 near Doncaster as new storms exploded. Heading back home now on the M1, still seeing distant flashes behind.

Been a decent day seeing some stunning cloud structures rather than core punching the storms!

Could contain:

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

12z UKv for 8pm Screenshot_20230909-203720.thumb.png.7ee49fe28c7100522b4e6f0a46d712f2.png

Vs 20:35 netwather radarScreenshot_20230909-203636.thumb.png.cf57732652b076ace673743575b82539.png

Its modelled the far southwest reasonably well, same can't be said for the northeast but I'm sure that won't concern those getting a storm in that area 😁

My concern is what's expected to develop down here in the south, it's good to see things going to plan so far.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

The York cell images are examples of a beautiful Mothership. I'm interested if we've got any members in and around Grimsby? Classic Supercell and inflow present on radar I'd be interested of tornado sightings with that 🧐

Screenshot-20230909-204254.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, Southern Storm said:

12z UKv for 8pm Screenshot_20230909-203720.thumb.png.7ee49fe28c7100522b4e6f0a46d712f2.png

Vs 20:35 netwather radarScreenshot_20230909-203636.thumb.png.cf57732652b076ace673743575b82539.png

Its modelled the far southwest reasonably well, same can't be said for the northeast but I'm sure that won't concern those getting a storm in that area 😁

My concern is what's expected to develop down here in the south, it's good to see things going to plan so far.

This trough, I wonder what direction its heading in. if so its very early

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather

That was honestly the best thing I have seen this year. Lightning strikes every few seconds in the distance on the rivers edge and tons of Timelapse’s.

Edited by The Tall Weatherman
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
3 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

The York cell images are examples of a beautiful Mothership. I'm interested if we've got any members in and around Grimsby? Classic Supercell and inflow present on radar I'd be interested of tornado sightings with that 🧐

Screenshot-20230909-204254.jpg

I was in the Lincolnshire wolds looking at that south part of the storm, posted earlier had a decent looking rain shaft with weak rainbow, and some rumbles but nothing resembling a Mothership. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: You can always put a jumper on.

I'm a little South of Chesterfield and have been watching the lightning that is currently over or near to Thorn / Crowle / Belton and skirting Scunthorpe.

Just under 40 miles away according to Google Earth.

Amazing.

@ChezWeather

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Aiden2012 said:

Actually gutted I’m stuck at work till 10 😓😓😓

IMG_7625.mov IMG_7624.mov

My condolences! 😢

I'd be thinking of some pretty radical excuses to get out of work🤣 

Hopefully you have something to chase when you finish 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy!
1 minute ago, Metwatch said:

I was in the Lincolnshire wolds looking at that south part of the storm, posted earlier had a decent looking rain shaft with weak rainbow, and some rumbles but nothing resembling a Mothership. 

I’m in Cleethorpes, started with a few rumbles coming off the wolds then it rained but I wouldn’t call it heavy and the thunder came with flashes of Lightning but it seemed to gain momentum as it crossed over the humber towards Spurn and the North Sea. Whilst sat in the garden the light show from it was amazing and seemed to be inside a huge cloud. Still sat in the garden watching the light show from the storm up Hornsea way. 

cheers Glenn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Thunderstorms, Snow

False detection showing heavy rain but still dry here in thirsk. However, very humid and distant flashes of lightning.

Could contain:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Tornados and Windstsorms.
3 minutes ago, Rufus Butterfield said:

The storm literally formed directly above me with no lightning for ages, until it suddenly became quite active. Before that thought, you could see the base almost spiralling around with scuddy funnels (with maybe a wall cloud developing under it?) Not sure if they were actually funnels or if was a weak supercell, probably not but still interesting.

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

For the first two, it is but ghostly.

Posted
9 minutes ago, viking_smb said:

This trough, I wonder what direction its heading in. if so its very early

It's hard to say just going off precipitation, maybe someone with more knowledge can give some idea 

Going to set off soon, just hope it's not in vain and I can find a good spot 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Lightning, Tornado, Hurricane, Heatwave

Got a few good rumbles and a couple of flashes of I-C lightning between Stoke-on-Trent and Tean earlier. Photo from a pub in Tean, Staffordshire and sunset from Cheadle, Staffordshire. 

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
6 minutes ago, LIGHTNING ACTION said:

Here's the time lapse of the wall cloud I have seen earlier, I have never seen such a thing ever

Definitely some rotation and perhaps a brief small beaver tail there at 2 seconds in!

Edited by Derecho

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, warm sunny days , gales in Autumn , frost in Winter .
27 minutes ago, Liam Burge said:

For those thinking they're gonna miss out in the SW, I believe most in somerset will see a massive thunderstorm roll through sometime between 2am and 3am. We can already see the start of it forming in the channel, and it's expected to merge together into a massive storm.

image.thumb.png.d980cba7813b17ea9f29510142213289.png

Well, if I'm woken up( depends if I sleep in the first place )! I'll let you know , but unfortunately the storms have a habit of fizzing out or they skirt around us . 

• Like 2