Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion- October 2023

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Although generally the UK is more likely to see storms between April and September it is definitely not unheard of to see storms outside of these months. Infact, over previous years I have noticed October storms become more common and just last year we saw some big storm events in the month of October.

With some models showing a very late season burst of heat next weekend it is certainly possible there could be more storms. Indeed, in the more reliable time frame we have a risk of storms. 

Tomorrow it looks as though a waving front through central parts will reinvigorate as warmer and more humid air is pulled northwards. This could allow thunderstorms to develop just to the south of the waving front, more especially later in the afternoon and then through the evening and night. I'm still not seeing total agreement as to whether anything will happen but its worth keeping an eye on.

To see back on September, which was an active month for some, the old thread is over here: 

Keep chatting and discussing as we head through mid Autumn. Will there be any more storms?

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, Supacell said:

Although generally the UK is more likely to see storms between April and September it is definitely not unheard of to see storms outside of these months. Infact, over previous years I have noticed October storms become more common and just last year we saw some big storm events in the month of October.

With some models showing a very late season burst of heat next weekend it is certainly possible there could be more storms. Indeed, in the more reliable time frame we have a risk of storms. 

Tomorrow it looks as though a waving front through central parts will reinvigorate as warmer and more humid air is pulled northwards. This could allow thunderstorms to develop just to the south of the waving front, more especially later in the afternoon and then through the evening and night. I'm still not seeing total agreement as to whether anything will happen but its worth keeping an eye on.

To see back on September, which was an active month for some, the old thread is over here: 

Keep chatting and discussing as we head through mid Autumn. Will there be any more storms?

The longest storm I've ever been in happened in October, was down to coastal orographic lift, lasted from about 2am in the morning till 12pm the next day.

The loudest thunder and most damaging cloud to ground definitely positive lightning strike happened in march. Storm season can be any time of the year.

• Like 4

Posted

Last Octobers storms were some of the strongest I’ve seen this country. Certainly seems a trend that while thundery activity is diminishing in summer proper it’s increasing in September/October, almost a bit like a very moderate Mediterranean climate.

• Like 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

The longest storm I've ever been in happened in October, was down to coastal orographic lift, lasted from about 2am in the morning till 12pm the next day.

The loudest thunder and most damaging cloud to ground definitely positive lightning strike happened in march. Storm season can be any time of the year.

Absolutely. I witnessed a squall line pass over Derby in January 2014. It went on to produce a tornado near to Retford. It's just that storms aren't as commonplace in the cooler months.

However, in simple terms storms are caused by cooler air above warm air. This can happen at anytime and arguably could lead to an increase in coastal storm activity in the Autumn, especially with a warmer SST.

• Like 3

Posted
16 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

I've seen reference to a thunderstorm in London lasting 12 hours starting 4pm tomorrow. Is this a possibility or is it someone trying to earn a few pennies?

God knows, probably came from my post, lol. Totally different synoptics. Here we had cold aloft, warm water and a wind blowing I think it was from the west south west, and orographic lift help storms develop along the coast. It is a pep up of the front over us now, so where ever that happens to be tomorrow will have some storms form to it's south, probably thundery rain at best. We'll see tomorrow I guess 

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 2

Posted
27 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

I've seen reference to a thunderstorm in London lasting 12 hours starting 4pm tomorrow. Is this a possibility or is it someone trying to earn a few pennies?

Yes, someone trying to earn a few pennies. Sounds like a Daily Express style headline. Taking what is a risk of storms for over a 12 hour period and turning it into a 12 hour thunderstorm. A little bit like the risk of snow over Cairngorm translating to a headline of UK wide blizzards 😂

• Like 6

Posted

Does anyone know how often the Metoffice weather model updates? I can see it updated at 12:00, but I am wondering how many times this happens a day. Tomorrow is currently looking interesting around the Gloucestershire area.                                                                                                                image.thumb.png.ececf1a1b81edbb72f36f8792b05ee3c.pngimage.thumb.png.db5db6693c11e1cd5cc8059a9b8e3f1a.png

Edited by donnerundblitzer
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

image.thumb.png.2557b0f4e2641f64ce5fb20aea4bada6.png

Some storms possibly on Tuesday

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Looking at the origin of that theta-E plume, today really could've gone bang if it was happening in July or August! 

Also, it looks to be the last possibly 'interesting' day of weather for a while, before we enter a long benign period 🥹

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms. Warm weather. Not hot or cold weather.
Just now, Mapantz said:

Lightning detected back home.

Lightning  near Weymouth. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist
4 hours ago, ChannelThunder said:

Looking at the origin of that theta-E plume, today really could've gone bang if it was happening in July or August! 

Also, it looks to be the last possibly 'interesting' day of weather for a while, before we enter a long benign period 🥹

October/November can be good along southern/western coasts. Ok not summer MCS but waterspouts and thunder 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
3 minutes ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

A handful of sferics showing up across Dorset and Wiltshire. 

Could contain:

Posted

Now several booms of thunder. At ground/low level it looks like a bog standard dull, wet afternoon. Above it something has really kicked off! 

Could contain:

Could contain:

Posted
7 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

A sudden absolute downpour after some light rain. Huge drops of rain.

What is happening above the low level murk!?

It's unstable, hot air moving north v cold front moving south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Seems much more unstable than forecast. Bonds (possibly) better for later on. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Thunder heard South of Cambridge 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Gosh it feels so stormy out even though just grey clag..had a few large drops and a rumble..

• Like 2