Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion- October 2023

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Must admit, I thought the skies, at least especially earlier today, looked very convective looking. Although when it become all grey and rainy here this afternoon I just thought it would just be a general spell of rain until, like a few others, a few odd rumbles of thunder suddenly came unexpectedly. Including the odd lightning flash too!

Looking at the radar though, it looks like there’s some particularly angry looking showers to the South and East of here. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
6 minutes ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

Clearly a more unstable airmass in the mid layers than forecast, maybe a bit more of a northward shunt of energy than expected? Temps are near 30C now on the north French coast.

Possibly, might also be an increase in forcing due to this. Does mean a chance that the energy forecasted to be in the channel overnight might be a bit further north into the south for further development, main issue was lack of any real forcing though. The storms further north may just send the pressure slightly off down here, especially given the depressing cold front. Gravity waves might just influence something thundery somewhere in the south, just a few musings. 

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Astounding developments the past couple of hours, absolutely no change here in Kingsbridge from the drizzle and murk all day, yet there was lightning just offshore to the east!

Will note this was at least forecast as a possibility, so not completely random🤣

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
10 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

Few intra cloud flashes with some nice rumbles, otherwise a torrential thundery shower. 

Does make it now both the second September and October in a row to see storms here, be it either thunder or distant lightning.

Nice quality audio on that thunder.🤗

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Screenshot_20231002_165247_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0e267955ea076db509cadc38fc661c77.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive

I see the Met Office managed to cough out a yellow weather warning for the south east (probably after their roof got struck by lightning).  Curiously they omit the Reigate area - it's all further north and east.

Yet their own radar shows some thunderstorms heading for....Reigate and environs.  And then they wonder why people have given up over the yellow warnings!

I'm hoping we'll get a couple of rumbles here. Unless the storms take their customary u-turn on Reigate's borders.  😀

PS - just one nit-pick at the Netweather radar and lightning indicators. The 1-10 minutes colour of strikes is pretty much the same colour as the heavy rain, making the indicators invisible in storms. And I'm slightly colour blind to reds, too....  ☹️

Edited by StormLoser
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Sky is just so volatile currently..

20231002_171015.thumb.jpg.878e50a039cc76e3f75c0a4dca52d8c6.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, anything interesting

I swear I saw some asperitas clouds out the window in my lecture, but now I’ve gone outside they’re gone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
10 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

Gunshot thunder in Eastleigh, Hampshire. 

Blimey that was a big one!!!!!😲

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and all extreme weather! :)

Storm here in Fareham was quite impressive. Loads of bright flashes, some of which had some loud thunderclaps. Sadly it wan't close enough to get amazing footage of it but I think I'm going to make a 2-3min video on youtube about this month's best strikes. 

Typically, I forgot I was using my 0.6x camera, so the flashes didn't really pop up as well on the video as i had hoped. Note to self: Stick with the main 1x camera.

That video was insane! Wish I was there haha

11 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

Gunshot thunder in Eastleigh, Hampshire. 

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Could contain:

Amazing pic Flash...

Plenty of convection to my east moving ne..sky gone all misty again..what an afternoon..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Dark purple colours are advancing very close, very fast, and there is a constant rumble of thunder. This won’t last long but I can tell we’re about to get blasted!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
1 minute ago, minus10 said:

Amazing pic Flash...

Plenty of convection to my east moving ne..sky gone all misty again..what an afternoon..

Not the most electrically active but proper bolts in there!

the sky beforehand was really striated as well - 7/10 thunderstorm in October!

• Like 4