Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion- October 2023

Supacell

Posted

Gas explosion story just hit the BBC news. 

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Images and video shared online appear to show the sky to the north-west of the city lit up.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, SnowBear said:

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Images and video shared online appear to show the sky to the north-west of the city lit up.

I'm 15 miles from here and we had nothing!

Shows how local these storms are

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
9 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

I'm 15 miles from here and we had nothing!

Shows how local these storms are

Surprised you didn't here the bang from there.

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Surprised you didn't here the bang from there.

Nothing. I was outside at the time, but it is north of me.

I do remember when the local plant went up in 2016. That was pretty dramatic!

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Images and video shared online show the sky to the north-west of Oxford light up with flames.

Sorry just seen already posted above..

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
13 minutes ago, Sprites said:
G1.IPCAMLIVE.COM

Looks like quite a line of activity passing over Cromer/Sheringham...to top what has been an amazing day for shotgun thunderstorms...certainly not what i expected...October delivers again..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and severe weather events.
On 01/10/2023 at 11:42, Alderc 2.0 said:

Last Octobers storms were some of the strongest I’ve seen this country. Certainly seems a trend that while thundery activity is diminishing in summer proper it’s increasing in September/October, almost a bit like a very moderate Mediterranean climate.

Last October's storm's we're very pokey and pretty well organized indeed for us on the south coast! Quite possibly the most intense daytime storm I've seen in thirty years! I watched this come in from the beach near Worthing and the gust front was loaded! At least 50mph straight line winds and if I'm honest I'm being quite conservative so could have been higher as I was having difficulty standing up properly! Also a fairly decent tornado in the Hampshire/Dorset area too!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist
7 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Looks like quite a line of activity passing over Cromer/Sheringham...to top what has been an amazing day for shotgun thunderstorms...certainly not what i expected...October delivers again..

Yeah it was really frequent about an hour ago, storms were travelling fast, seems to be convergence moving out to sea. 

• Like 1

Posted
On 01/10/2023 at 12:15, Supacell said:

Absolutely. I witnessed a squall line pass over Derby in January 2014. It went on to produce a tornado near to Retford. It's just that storms aren't as commonplace in the cooler months.

However, in simple terms storms are caused by cooler air above warm air. This can happen at anytime and arguably could lead to an increase in coastal storm activity in the Autumn, especially with a warmer SST.

Good call supacell! This can and has happened on a few occasions down here on the Sussex coast. We currently have sea temperatures here at around 18 degrees still and with cold air aloft some of the vital ingredients are in place. A warm moist plume undercutting cold uppers is also key too👌!

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, sunnijim said:

A35 heading toward Dorchester,secret McDonald's by the roundabout if anyone is familet

An early morning stop off point for me when I'm driving down to Cornwall at silly o clock in the morning to avoid the traffic 👌! Have even seen a storm from there a few years back traveling down to st Ives one morning 😉!

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, ChannelThunder said:

Some nice structure on the high base and a few CGs to boot.

20231002161532_LC312.thumb.jpg.d7d75c2c58947dd41fe3575a6d6ed79a.jpg

PXL_20231002_152519501.thumb.jpg.11aace0bc00fa55a89b46cc5b0ffa77a.jpg

PXL_20231002_151428937.thumb.jpg.39c9af47bbb1f3c4aa1f934d77932406.jpg

Cracking shots matey! That's a decent looking structure on that thing indeed.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
4 hours ago, Metwatch said:

Someone got a strike right next to or even on the BT tower in London just now.

Could contain:

The full clip of that, 4 bolts hitting the ground in a split second, those storms were quite something with the CGs!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Metwatch said:

Gunshot thunder in Eastleigh, Hampshire. 

This is very close indeed! I had a similar hit here in west Sussex just over a week ago and the strike was absolutely colossal! Around 450-500 meters from my house according to lightning maps and I felt the shock wave outside in the back yard! This I think is a good 100m closer because of the real crack at the start and because of my experience of numerous occasions where I have pushed my luck and witnessed close and sometimes dangerously close strikes! 70-80 ft is the closest for me but by far the loudest was in the new forest. A single CG struck a tree around 100m away right in front of me and the force and noise from it was astonishing. I am certain that I will never hear that sort of sound ever again from a storm, this strike was on another planet ⚡⚡! I think this could be under 400m away as a conservative guess from my past experience with that sort of sound but possibly a bit less too. A massive strike nonetheless!

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Could contain:

That's absolutely unreal! Great shot Flash💪!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
36 minutes ago, Woodboss said:

This is very close indeed! I had a similar hit here in west Sussex just over a week ago and the strike was absolutely colossal! Around 450-500 meters from my house according to lightning maps and I felt the shock wave outside in the back yard! This I think is a good 100m closer because of the real crack at the start and because of my experience of numerous occasions where I have pushed my luck and witnessed close and sometimes dangerously close strikes! 70-80 ft is the closest for me but by far the loudest was in the new forest. A single CG struck a tree around 100m away right in front of me and the force and noise from it was astonishing. I am certain that I will never hear that sort of sound ever again from a storm, this strike was on another planet ⚡⚡

I've done quite well this year as well!

2 very close CG's sub 400m, 9th May the one during the day and 18th September at around 3am which was more like around 200m away. 

Definitely one of the best years for storms in my locality along with 2020, some other cracking storms in June and early July as well. 

Made the vids shorter as I do freak out in them but full versions are in other convective threads.

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
29 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

2 very close CG's sub 400m, 9th May the one during the day and 18th September at around 3am which was more like around 200m away. 

Definitely one of the best years for storms in my locality along with 2020, some other cracking storms in June and early July as well. 

Made the vids shorter as I do freak out in them😂

Two great captures there, just a shame they were cut short as it would have been great to have heard the thunder in its entirety.

EDIT: Just read the rest of the post above so no problem with the vids being short here.

Edited by wimblettben

Posted
5 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

Definitely one of the best years for storms in my locality along with 2020, some other cracking storms in June as well. 

Made the vids shorter as I do freak out in them😂

Ive seen both of these and they are likely the best I've seen on here this year, you've certainly hit the jackpot so really well done! The one at night you caught is likely only 100m away,that made a similar sound to the strike I saw in the New forest as I mentioned above. The one in the field is a monstrous strike and was almost identical to what I saw here just over a week ago at night! You definitely done good with getting these on film but definitely be careful in open fields because the strike I witnessed from just 80ft away a few years back was in an open field and I was very lucky to have not been harmed and it was a very sharp reminder that I will never forget⚡!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
11 hours ago, SnowBear said:

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The Netweather Radar from around that time and spot difference from photos of Cassington Plant at Yarnton and Derby one 

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 3