Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?

Posted

Yikes, this could have been costly had it gone 'tech' any longer.

WWW.COUNTYPRESS.CO.UK

PDG Aviation has confirmed one of its helicopters experienced a technical defect while carrying out flying tasks on the Isle of Wight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 minutes ago, Thunders said:

i would keep them off if its bad at 7 or 8. if you have had some really Strom winds also. it might not be safe to travel because fallen power lines ect. i thought i only had to say that when predicting stroms in the usa

also. WE DONT THINK SAFTEY OF TRAVEL IS PART OF THE THINKING. what are they on. they issued the warning that says. risk to life and it looks severe. how is transport not a key priority. if it wasnt. then how would people get there in the first place

Mine only have to walk over a down, but guess where the pylons are, yep, they are not walking under those tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold weather. Storms are pretty good too.
1 minute ago, Thunders said:

i would keep them off if its bad at 7 or 8. if you have had some really Strom winds also. it might not be safe to travel because fallen power lines ect. i thought i only had to say that when predicting stroms in the usa

I have to totally agree with this comment. If the wind is severe then ignore the schools. It sounds like teachers might not make it in but kids are expected to?Any complaints from the school and I would point out the double standard. I was on the coast during the 87 storm and it was horrendous, I only had a 1 year old baby then but with trees down and power out make your own decision about school or not.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOWWWWWWWW
7 minutes ago, Sentinel said:

Same here, on the spectrum. Maybe we need a thread for people like us as I'm always fascinated by the weather!

Southend on sea is my hometown! How ironic. Yes I would love such a thread!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hurricanes, and my favourite tornadoes
Just now, alexisj9 said:

Mine only have to walk over a down, but guess where the pylons are, yep, they are not walking under those tomorrow.

i have trees and pylons littering the road that i live on too. i think they should just shut the schools tbh. its obviously not safe if we are all ranting about 70-90mph gust and how its 'similar to 87' i wouldnt know tho as i wasn't around then

• Like 2

Judging by the latest track, I think the authorities are acting on data that’s already out of date. Other than exposed southern coastal areas and the Channel Islands I think this will be more a storm in a teacup with the usual over cooked media hype. Yes it will be windy (it’s normal, it’s autumn!) but this isn’t a hurricane or is it?!!

Posted

WHO IS LETTING OFF FIREWORKS IN THIS WEATHER.  this is mad, why are they letting off fireworks in this windy weather. 

do you guys think they should issue a red warning for the exposed southern coasts?

Edited by Thunders
  • Like 3

Posted
Just now, Thunders said:

WHO IS LETTING OFF FIREWORKS IN THIS WEATHER.  this is mad, why are they letting off fireworks in this windy weatyher

Just silly people I guess.

Posted
2 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Don't forget to ask the school whether they will provide transport home if you consider it too dangerous to pick them up.  But if you wake up and the advice in your area is to stay indoors, I'd send a terse email to the school telling them that they're your children and you decide whether it's safe enough for them to go out. Some schools treat their customers appallingly but tend to back down if you threaten legal action, few of them can afford legal fees. 

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Thunders said:

also. WE DONT THINK SAFTEY OF TRAVEL IS PART OF THE THINKING. what are they on. they issued the warning that says. risk to life and it looks severe. how is transport not a key priority. if it wasnt. then how would people get there in the first place

By the way the travel part was my thinking on how the message sounds, they don't say that. I guess the contingency for mine, would be leave earlier and walk around the down, still wouldn't avoid trees or shop sidings signs etc.

Posted
44 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

Local Water companies and power supllier have sent individual emails telling is to boil a kettle and put it in a flask

Candles and torches should be located.

A first, never had these emails before

Same. We’ve sorted the garden and candles out yesterday just in case.

My son’s school is still open for now. Not happy for him to walk in as usual tomorrow as he goes through an area with lots of trees. So it’ll either be mum taxi or say stay at home if I don’t think it’s safe

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way
8 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Just read the email from the school my self, basically get your child here, make contingency plans for if transport is out, we will also be making contingency plans here incase teachers can't get in, we'll keep you informed. So things might change, but I don't think safety of travel is part of the thinking right now.

Hi Alexis,  Similar here with Storm Agnes , forecast winds of 75mph + later in the afternoon (coinciding with school finish time), no school closure notification, almost as if school attendance is more important than the safety of the children and parents / careers doing the school run.  
My children had the day off , and I sent a very blunt email to school

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Penguin16 said:

ECM rolling out now

It's toeing the line with UKV and keeping a Southerly track moving through London.  Really Arome out on a bit of a limb now with GFS/Arpege/Icon in the middle ground 

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Saint coolio said:

anyone else with headache/sinus issues ahead of rapidly dropping pressure?

or is it just me imagining it?

I suffer barometric headaches when pressure changes, once in a pressure pattern I loose the headache until the next change for example high to low low to high.

I’ve had a foggy head all day.

• Like 1

Posted

Just had an email from my son's sixth form college, Peter Symonds in Winchester.

Dear Parent/Carer

You will be well aware of the adverse weather conditions forecast for tomorrow. We have carefully monitored the situation, reviewed the risk to our students and staff and conferred with transport providers.

As a result we have taken the decision to close the College and move all teaching, learning and support services on Thursday 2 November online.

..........etc, etc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

I live in Eastbourne just two blocks in from the pier / seafront and have been concerned about this since Sunday - I live in a top floor flat with a slate roof which is at risk. Slept through the 1987 Great Storm but got evacuated from school during the Burns Day Storm of 1990 - our class watched the workmen's trailer slowly flip across the playground. 

I hope that everyone stays safe along the south west, southern and south east coasts as this is going to be pretty extreme and is probably the windiest for quite a while...we had one storm with 75mph gusts in the past decade, but this is supposed to be a little higher and for much longer.

If the higher and stronger gusts are correct then the Channel Islands and Northern France are in for a pretty worrying night.

Don't even mention the rainfall amounts on already saturated ground 😔

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

As a result we have taken the decision to close the College and move all teaching, learning and support services on Thursday 2 November online.

..........etc, etc

They're optimistic about the robustness of the National Grid. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
2 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

Same. We’ve sorted the garden and candles out yesterday just in case.

My son’s school is still open for now. Not happy for him to walk in as usual tomorrow as he goes through an area with lots of trees. So it’ll either be mum taxi or say stay at home if I don’t think it’s safe

Hi lottie.

Hard to know really how it will all pan out?

We are in the high risk areas,but with models all over the show with the exact track,the three options on the table seem equally as likely.

1, a run of the mill Gale.

2. Gusts to 60mph to 70mph ( a yearly event here)

3 or something that is the windiest for a couple of decades.

( the 87 option is not on the table imo.)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, misty, slightly damp

I have literally just joined to post this as I am seething. I'm an assistant Scout leader and I'm trying like heck to get my session tomorrow cancelled because it takes place in a rural location, middle of the woods, bottom of a hill, next to a river, couple of miles away from towns on unlit country roads.

It's very clear that I'm considered a bit of a lightweight and they're going to make a decision tomorrow morning because it will all be over by the time we're due to meet tomorrow night.

Slightly precipitation-obsessed here as I have weather-related PTSD (how I wish that was a joke) so I am a long-term lurker!

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, MR CB said:

I live in Eastbourne just two blocks in from the pier / seafront and have been concerned about this since Sunday - I live in a top floor flat with a slate roof which is at risk. Slept through the 1987 Great Storm but got evacuated from school during the Burns Day Storm of 1990 - our class watched the workmen's trailer slowly flip across the playground. 

I hope that everyone stays safe along the south west, southern and south east coasts as this is going to be pretty extreme and is probably the windiest for quite a while...we had one storm with 75mph gusts in the past decade, but this is supposed to be a little higher and for much longer.

If the higher and stronger gusts are correct then the Channel Islands and Northern France are in for a pretty worrying night.

Don't even mention the rainfall amounts on already saturated ground 😔

live in old town on the hill. ill be seeing alot of gusty winds im guessing. also motcombe school has just had their firework display about 5 mins ago

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way
5 minutes ago, StingJet said:

Hi Alexis,  Similar here with Storm Agnes , forecast winds of 75mph + later in the afternoon (coinciding with school finish time), no school closure notification, almost as if school attendance is more important than the safety of the children and parents / careers doing the school run.  
My children had the day off , and I sent a very blunt email to school

Remember !  the weather at it's most violent takes no prisoners.. safety first above all !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
12 minutes ago, Wivenswold said:

Don't forget to ask the school whether they will provide transport home if you consider it too dangerous to pick them up.  But if you wake up and the advice in your area is to stay indoors, I'd send a terse email to the school telling them that they're your children and you decide whether it's safe enough for them to go out. Some schools treat their customers appallingly but tend to back down if you threaten legal action, few of them can afford legal fees. 

I'm glad mine are grown up, there doesn't seem to be a great deal of common sense  coming out of the mouths of some of these teachers these days. I can remember taking my two out of school for a holiday in the mid 90s for example, nobody batted an eyelid. 

Edited by 78/79
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Wivenswold said:

They're optimistic about the robustness of the National Grid. 

🤣Yes but to be fair it's probably a bit more robust than the train services which many of the students rely on ...travelling in from all over Hampshire.

• Like 3

Posted

d

Just now, Kiwi said:

🤣Yes but to be fair it's probably a bit more robust than the train services which many of the students rely on ...travelling in from all over Hampshire.

as you live in Hampshire, is lymington meant to get a bit of wind, good friends moved there and their house is coated in trees and stuff