Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter 2023/24 Chat and Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
40 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

But I couldn't -- my laptop wasn't working. . .

Welcome back Pete, thought you'd gone a bit quiet lately 😁

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
2 hours ago, Metwatch said:

Have escaped to Fuerteventura again for another week, just had to given how dull it's been back home and no snow either, got to keep my sanity. 😂 Missed out on those nacreous clouds, but I'm sure there'll be another chance to see them.

Few rain showers this morning but that cleared and has been decently sunny, with temperatures reaching a very comfortable 21°C. Outlook looks good, only tomorrow small chance of more heavier showers / thunderstorms.

The sun strength is about what the UK has at the end of March, which is very good to not get burned, but can also spend a good amount of time under it. 10 hours of daylength to be enjoyed too.

20231221_105831.jpg

20231221_114920~2.jpg

I've effectively forgotten what a clear blue sky looks like by this point - those photos look odd to my eyes 😆

Think the last time I had a properly clear sky in my area was the very start of December during the cold snap. Madness. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

As surprises absolutely no one, a real beauty of a forecast for Xmas day, especially in the South...lol.

Screenshot_20231221-183239~2.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, Methuselah said:

Hey, peeps, how's it looking? My laptop has just come back from rehab! 😁

wondered where you'd gone Ed, even made 'what happened to' thread

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way
9 hours ago, Row w said:

Much better photo once the clouds cleared.

rainbow5.jpg

& the reasoning behind these amazing clouds, courtesy of Jo Farrow 

Managed to see them on the school run too , this afternoon though on my way down and back up the A55 to pick up my lad.

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/9319-what-is-so-special-about-nacreous-clouds--mother-of-pearl-polar-stratospheric-clouds

At present we have -70c to -80c 10hpA Stratosphere Temp over the UK coupled with a very turbulent W-NW flow thanks to Storm Pia 

Up stream of me are the mountains of Mourne NI, and for you Row , Snowdonia , if I read Jo's blog correctly 

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Ooooh wow!

Ive had some bright stuff!!! Not sure I like it too bright

From bright snow-capped mountains to cold rain in Košice (in eastern Slovakia). It's lashing it down here.

This is probably the last snow I'll see for a while:

20231221_145153.thumb.jpg.ef9b3d34c1f0bb8dc2287f2a8d44f467.jpg

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
15 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

wondered where you'd gone Ed, even made 'what happened to' thread

And now that I'm back, EE is giving me the same probs with connectivity that BT did! 😁

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!

Some people seem to prefer the 'mild' even if it's cloudy...give me a day of freezing seasonal temperatures (and hard overnight frosts!) if it's associated with gin-clear blue sky and sunshine any day. Mild and grey in the last third of December is just horrible. The first half of December 2022 was perfect, cold weather but with beautifully clear and sunny days...I love snow, but will happily trade it for the deep cold and incredible light that the winter sun can produce at this time of year. All too rarely, sadly...

The only 'mild' I want to see is down the pub! 😄

Edited by SollyOlly
  • Like 9

Posted
2 minutes ago, SollyOlly said:

Some people seem to prefer the 'mild' even if it's cloudy...give me a day of freezing seasonal temperatures (and hard overnight frosts!) if it's associated with gin-clear blue sky and sunshine any day. Mild and grey in the last third of December is just horrible. 

I wouldn't mind pouring rain. Anything is better than this constant grey borefest. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

It amazes me how reliably the lead-up to Christmas is mild, wet, and windy these days. The first half of December almost always seems to be colder than the second half (I haven't verified this so please prove me wrong if this is false).

Edited by Relativistic

Posted
2 hours ago, Methuselah said:

And now that I'm back, EE is giving me the same probs with connectivity that BT did! 😁

Then it's not the provider it's the line ... Esp if POTS line as this is down to open reach to maintain. 

Posted

Another Christmas of absolute weeble weather! Same thing year after year. 13c forecast here on Xmas eve… I’d be happy with that in Spring! I just lose interest in cold weather after December which I know is ridiculous as we rarely get cold or decent cold for Xmas. Still…. It negs me out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

December 1st to 20th sunshine 🌞 

Not great for most but East Yorkshire topping the pack with an "ok" amount of hours. 

Some places are doing rotten, hanging around the 10 hour mark!

Screenshot_20231221_222745_Sheets.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Atlantic dross for the foreseeable future, even the EC46 which was predicting an erosion of the Iberian heights by mid-January is now putting that back to the end of Jan so that glimmer of hope has been snatched away.

I may as well give up on seeing any more cold this winter.  The writing's on the wall.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, SunSean said:

December 1st to 20th sunshine 🌞 

Not great for most but East Yorkshire topping the pack with an "ok" amount of hours. 

Some places are doing rotten, hanging around the 10 hour mark!

Screenshot_20231221_222745_Sheets.jpg

12 hours for here🙄👎

Posted
3 minutes ago, CLReeve said:

Atlantic dross for the foreseeable future, even the EC46 which was predicting an erosion of the Iberian heights by mid-January is now putting that back to the end of Jan so that glimmer of hope has been snatched away.

I may as well give up on seeing any more cold this winter.  The writing's on the wall.

Don't worry,the usual lot on the mod thread will carry on blowing the cold , background trumpet(even when it fly's in their face). I've had a reply off one of them tonight and I was only replying to someone else....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
9 minutes ago, CLReeve said:

The SSW predictions getting pushed back by any chance?

Posted

Ah. I just had my first post removal on that thread. I'm so proud.

My crime was mentioning models in the model thread, I guess. I was very slightly critical perhaps, of one of the big names there, but I thought my post was relevant, and included citations to today's fantastic weather in the Stratosphere that many of us have been enjoying and posting pictures of. My contribution is below.

The model thread appears to be a bunch of self-harmers mindlessly chasing a weather pattern that hardly ever happens in this country. Even back in the 70s and 80s, it was nearly always mild, grey and wet. There were always Iberian heights. Welcome to the UK!

#rantover

nacreous.jpg

Edited by Chris Smith
  • Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, raz.org.rain said:

The SSW predictions getting pushed back by any chance?

They're still talking about the chances of an SSD but I only skipped through the posts, too much hopecasting and I don't want to get my hopes up.

Posted
2 hours ago, SollyOlly said:

Some people seem to prefer the 'mild' even if it's cloudy...give me a day of freezing seasonal temperatures (and hard overnight frosts!) if it's associated with gin-clear blue sky and sunshine any day. Mild and grey in the last third of December is just horrible. The first half of December 2022 was perfect, cold weather but with beautifully clear and sunny days...I love snow, but will happily trade it for the deep cold and incredible light that the winter sun can produce at this time of year. All too rarely, sadly...

The only 'mild' I want to see is down the pub! 😄

I am some people. 15C forecast for Sunday here in London. December is bound to be grey so might as well be mild instead of bitterly cold. Saves gas consumption too, which is another silver lining. I am sad when it's cloudy in spring and summer, but winter? It's the season for dark and cloudy, after all.

Edited by SunnyG

Posted
6 minutes ago, Chris Smith said:

Ah. I just had my first post removal on that thread. I'm so proud.

My crime was mentioning models in the model thread, I guess. I was very slightly critical perhaps, of one of the big names there, but I thought my post was relevant, and included citations to today's fantastic weather in the Stratosphere that many of us have been enjoying and posting pictures of. My contribution is below.

The model thread appears to be a bunch of self-harmers mindlessly chasing a weather pattern that hardly ever happens in this country. Even back in the 70s and 80s, it was nearly always mild, grey and wet. There were always Iberian heights. Welcome to the UK!

#rantover

nacreous.jpg

Hopes of getting rid of the Iberian thingies have been postponed to at least the end of Jan, apparently. Lovely pic, btw.

• Like 1