Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
2 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

You know what I'm seriously thinking here folks.

This could be the  Winter when all is said and done that the teleconnections scratch there heads and say what the bloody hell just happened here!

I remember reading somewhere recently back in Summer from a climatological expert that there are so many variables coming into play right now that we are literally entering the unknown!

The moral of this story is do not be that suprised if you wake up some days and see that NWP as completely changed its direction.

The background drivers could well be overuled by overriding factors on occasion.

What are the overriding factors?

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

You know what I'm seriously thinking here folks.

This could be the  Winter when all is said and done that the teleconnections scratch there heads and say what the bloody hell just happened here!

I remember reading somewhere recently back in Summer from a climatological expert that there are so many variables coming into play right now that we are literally entering the unknown!

The moral of this story is do not be that suprised if you wake up some days and see that NWP as completely changed its direction.

The background drivers could well be overuled by overriding factors on occasion.

Totally agree here, this has been an unusual year weather wise and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

the El Niño is dealing out some quite dramatic weather globally that coupled with global warming is leading us into unknown territory.

looking at historic trends is not going to give us a clue this year at all in my opinion in the current climate 

• Like 4

Posted

The gfs control also upgrades the 850s for next few days. It's becoming quite the cold spell now and the depth of cold has been underestimated if gfs is right!!

Look at this over Ireland by next Tuesday, bitterly cold even still and evidence of home grown cold!!

image.thumb.png.94970a9211d05d88423d9b013d8affd9.png

Edited by January Snowstorm
  • Like 9

Posted

I'm going to do a quick update on the SST stuff I went through a few days ago.

Today things are still looking fairly similar to last time:

image.thumb.png.4230b620fa34364d1fd1875d74d22d39.png

At T+120/T+240/T+360, we have a similar trend to last time - gradual cooling around the UK, but probably looking closer to average now, whereas two days ago the charts were more bullish about cooling around the UK. Also, I would note the slight re-intensification of the anomalies in the Azores area.

image.thumb.png.aea4c4cbdbdc7ccdadbabbdf38bce530.png image.thumb.png.32f010ec87c12a3324a0a2469bbb9f86.pngimage.thumb.png.40e8e7dad3a6e8a20521cac9fe45c872.png

I think this is part of the source of the huge spread we see on ensemble charts at the moment. Any cold pattern is likely to be as cold as you'd expect, or maybe a little colder, whereas a mild pattern is likely to be very mild indeed.

Raging south-westerlies over SSTs 2-3C above average could give record-challenging temperatures as we go into December. I wouldn't even rule out the first 20C if we get perfect synoptics for it.

But if we stay with the cold and blocked pattern, the loss of the east coast SST modification will make a big difference to the chances of frontal snowfall if we do get an easterly. Basically, if it's cold you're looking for, you want it more easterly than northerly, because anything more towards the NW will be heavily modified.

Overall though, I think this has to count as a downgrade from a cold perspective.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
15 minutes ago, near northampton said:

What are the overriding factors?

Variables that appear from warmer and colder sections of oceans which seem to be increasing,various degrees of Ice melt...changes in solar activities...larger amounts of emissions through pollutants and volcanic activities which seem to be on the rise. This is probably only a handful of other factors at play here.

Edited by MATTWOLVES 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

Hello everyone 

Just a few things to add,  any reintroduction of a Westerly regime will be brief.  This has been a very unusual El Nino year for us, with unexpected blocking. 

The block we are talking about is an Omega Block and it doesn't look ot it was will go away soon .

image.png.b91a027bc9ce0ebec6e5daa99c6ecf512.thumb.png.08732ad7f469639f1cee01529807682e.png

Another trend Ive noticed if that the Euro models  long range trended colder towards the actual month . The month of interest is December.

ps2png-worker-commands-57c6c5cc6f-hzcms-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-PfIfeB.thumb.png.11bd55794245f2befbcb3a39367928db.png 

Current month ( November) prediction for December 

ps2png-worker-commands-57c6c5cc6f-hzcms-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-bG5HjA.thumb.png.cc2da3a1860cf02ca99a8ea683e190e1.png

Octobers prediction for December

ps2png-worker-commands-57c6c5cc6f-pcnrh-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-ha5pDb.thumb.png.33553a82ba560ca832e8e505f45689de.png

Septembers prediction for December 

Trend is your friend. Drivers. For blocking are surprisingly in place. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
2 hours ago, Tim Bland said:

ECM has rain for most with snow on hills Sunday 😏

F7219B9F-4B95-44BB-8C90-5CCFE391A049.jpeg

wow. some cold spell this is!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Whilst I'm anticipating a turn to milder conditions in the middle of next week, it's far from a done deal. 

image.thumb.png.c2c820858109265344aed743d7815ee3.png

The 18z GFS above briefly goes for a mid-latitude block and whilst it doesn't work out in this instance some small changes to this chart could easily send things off on a cold tangent for longer.

12z EC also goes for a brief ridge but this is coming from the SW and later the Atlantic fires back up.

The UKMO is poor at the same time.

Whilst I'm downbeat about the prospects of a memorable cold spell at this point in time the mild weather could easily get put back but we'd likely need to see the Scandi high signal re-emerge. This can either occur if a ridge moves across us from the SW or ideally a lobe of high pressure moves from Greenland and builds towards Svalbard. Some ensemble members show this:

image.thumb.png.8216f84f29a6bb5a28d81cf170c8af28.pngimage.thumb.png.b59984c8d85bccda1356b5b5b3ae4e02.pngimage.thumb.png.c1b61665a83cb4e309a045665a9aa8d0.pngimage.thumb.png.e53410b4feb21594f3cd693c6645eff9.pngimage.thumb.png.bcc714488834ad039826deb81e30bc1f.pngimage.thumb.png.3d3f9ee5c4ada46c27a3d6b11c808f96.pngimage.thumb.png.ceb69054cea2e4e4812e1f780de10fca.pngimage.thumb.png.6f432646db50c4fa7d1bc71c90f80268.pngimage.thumb.png.eb697481279ccf101257fb083db2c110.png

image.thumb.png.050369c480f2b78ddd98638785282135.png

A few more twists and turns over the next day or two before the T120-T144 period of uncertainty comes to an agreement. That will likely have a butterfly effect on what follows after.

Edited by Derecho
  • Like 6

Posted
34 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Becoming rather difficult to keep up the rhetoric for a continuation of cold beyond the first week of December now, MOGREPS showing a clear trend towards less cold air moving in across the UK, in agreement with the GEFS & EPS.

GADfu_1X0AAjzFV.thumb.png.35e851e0f999e93d1f702426434106b8.png

Hopefully we can squeeze as much snow out of this week as we can!

Less cold for a few days seems inevitable now, but whether it becomes a lot milder, and for how long it lasts,  is far from certain. There is not much sign of raging zonality for weeks on end as of yet

• Like 4

Posted

I wouldn't worry overly much about a return to mild conditions showing on the models beyond day 7. I mean just look at this mess - around day 9 and we're already showing nearly a 20C range to the 850hPa temperatures. That's not a milder trend, or a colder trend, it's a nobody-has-a-clue trend!

image.thumb.png.855b47036ba5a3c37cdc658c58938e5e.png

It'll probably get even more ridiculous as it runs out to the end...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
6 minutes ago, WYorksWeather said:

I wouldn't worry overly much about a return to mild conditions showing on the models beyond day 7. I mean just look at this mess - around day 9 and we're already showing nearly a 20C range to the 850hPa temperatures. That's not a milder trend, or a colder trend, it's a nobody-has-a-clue trend!

Looks like the mean delays the return to mild by a day or so compared to the 12z ensemble, so looks like a decent extension on this 18z ensemble.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, WYorksWeather said:

Last sentence definitely true, watching the ensembles roll out think they might need to rescale that above chart in a couple of frames time for ensemble 21 minus 16 uppers might make it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Interesting to see the higher thickness anomalies return accross the pole further on into December on the gfs18z. Although fi, this is what needs to be looked for on subsequent runs and other models to tie in with the  bigger driver developments such as MJO and AAM previously detailed..as i understand it....

animxww7.thumb.gif.1b9453e57f6b4ac31dd6062f757fd625.gif

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Mcconnor8 said:

Looks like the mean delays the return to mild by a day or so compared to the 12z ensemble, so looks like a decent extension on this 18z ensemble.

Yep, crosses the mean line at the 8th December in London. But I would say that that's not a mild signal, even if the mean verified it would only be average conditions for the time of year. We're not talking about raging south-westerlies and temperatures into the mid teens by day! And as I highlighted earlier, the uncertainty range is immense.

image.thumb.png.7c6f9170f12aef6a9076b3c9228fbe51.png

In short, I'd say cold for the next 5 days pretty much certain, 7 days quite likely, and as we approach day 10 less certainty, but no clear signal for mild.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
2 minutes ago, WYorksWeather said:

Yep, crosses the mean line at the 8th December in London. But I would say that that's not a mild signal, even if the mean verified it would only be average conditions for the time of year. We're not talking about raging south-westerlies and temperatures into the mid teens by day! And as I highlighted earlier, the uncertainty range is immense.

image.thumb.png.7c6f9170f12aef6a9076b3c9228fbe51.png

In short, I'd say cold for the next 5 days pretty much certain, 7 days quite likely, and as we approach day 10 less certainty, but no clear signal for mild.

image.thumb.png.24e5245e7edb6ed65ecb86677e897781.png

Interesting that the ECM ensemble seems much keener to start to increase 850s from Sunday onwards compared to the GFS which takes until Wednesday/Thursday.

Edited by Mcconnor8
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

EC doing it's king model thing vs an adventurous 12z GFS, the NATL Ec Anom plot at D10 pretty much as expected via other drivers. Enjoy this cold spell, look ahead to 13th Dec progressions coming around.

image.thumb.png.b76acb2cfabbab6392454063333ab6d2.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

The latest gefs dew points in the ext'd tells me there is some continental air to tap into,there is a minority that stay below the 0c isotherm if i am reading that correctly

Untitled.thumb.png.0fb6f4937950aefff0aa5ccc186b60c1.png

plenty of undercuts and a smattering of easterlies in those members...

gens_paneleea5_php.thumb.png.e81be111d20ec602601f87a3a0fd1af6.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

a few more corkers in this GEFS suite - if by the end of the whole suite, the 12z op was superimposed on the 18z uppers graph, ive got a feeling it wouldn't be an outlier

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

a few more corkers in this GEFS suite - if by the end of the whole suite, the 12z op was superimposed on the 18z uppers graph, ive got a feeling it wouldn't be an outlier

Yeah I’ve just had a quick look through and I would say at least a third went down the Scandy high route.

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

A Few approaching -15, definitely interesting model watching, just hoping the moving parts fall into place pre Xmas for once

• Like 6