Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
3 minutes ago, Stravaiger said:

Although it doesn't look great on the face of it, I'm really encouraged by the GEM evolution on today's 12Z.

It ends up with the heights/cold in Scandi holding firm, forcing energy from the Atlantic to disrupt SE into C. Europe, which will ultimately open the door to heights in the north retrogressing and, at the very least, giving us coolish zonality without the awful Iberian / Bartlett high that has plagued recent winters.

Plausible outcome and preserves the awesome Scandi cold pool - we could do worse!

GEM2.thumb.png.b9bee4d08185780e41f64cc359510435.pngGEM.thumb.png.45fd32312d33f8248a83d6ac47c7fdd3.png

Yes, agree, this is the scenario I was on about earlier, which is a very plausible outcome - much more than the GFS 12z in FI.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter
14 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I think that unless we get a ‘wtf ukmo’ run like we saw a decade ago then this is heading in one direction. That infamous ukmo run found a wedge at day 4/5 which sent the atlantic lw trough se and kept the whole country in the cold air.  You’d expect modelling to have advanced a fair bit since then though.

Just an observation but I found charts more reliable 19 years ago than nowadays,  I don't know if there's any substance to this.

Or there's just to much data and technology these days.

I won't proclaim to knowing this accurately, it's just my take.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

GFS under too much statistic influence (hyping the atlantic, I hope)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!
24 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I think that unless we get a ‘wtf ukmo’ run like we saw a decade ago then this is heading in one direction. That infamous ukmo run found a wedge at day 4/5 which sent the atlantic lw trough se and kept the whole country in the cold air.  You’d expect modelling to have advanced a fair bit since then though.

A surprising amount of GEFS members do just that Nick. At least 11 look to block off the Atlantic quite strongly at 150. 

My experience tells me @IDOis on the money but while there’s a chance… there’s a chance…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

Thanks guys. The frustration of scientific papers that are behind a paywall and you can only read the abstract and first page. The abstract says "The stratospheric warming and circulation change of January and February 1963 are discussed.......    ........warming initially appeared at 10mb over southeastern Canada.......  ......the subsequent events..... .....destruction of the wintertime polar cyclone......"

And the last sentence of the first page says "Beginning in mid-January 1963 the stratospheric circulation was interrupted by intense temperature and height changes of a scale as large as any previously documented".

I concluded the Canadian warming was early January, leading to a full-blown SSW late February, but I'm happy to accept that the Canadian Warming was in November, leading to the above in Jan/Feb. Have you guys got a source of info to confirm Nov 1962 please? There are precious little scientific papers on the phenomenon, although last week Prof. Judah Cohen stated he was involved in a study, so that's good news.

Whatever, for those of us with a cold persuasion, let's keep our fingers crossed that this Canadian Warming has a similar impact to the winter of 1963.

On Gavs Weather Vids during last years winter updates he talked about it and did a reanalysis section (can't remember which model) but the Canadian warming was definitely November 1962.

• Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Jackski4 said:

Seems that all Exeter do these days is play catch up!

In a very uncertain situation, I’ve never quite understood why Exeter’s view on yesterday’s runs is considered to be pertinent to our view of the runs rolling out right now.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Jackski4 said:

Erm...that chart is 8 days away🙄

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Jackski4 said:

That's the trouble with issuing long range forecasts. The further ahead you go the less likely you are to be correct. Then you have to change it everyday to keep it semi accurate. The way the models change it doesn't seem worth going more than a week ahead.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, LRD said:

Damned if they do, damned if they don't

I think the Met Office do a terrific job most of the time but they do no right in some people's eyes. Get 8 out of 10 things right and are criticised for the 2. Weird

Anyway, another warm op run obviously with 2 distinct clusters setting up. Interesting. Short ensembles:

image.thumb.png.8898fdc433f496ab15d1a9ed3b15163b.png

That's a significant cold cluster at least, what's that 65/35 in favour of mild.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
2 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

That's a significant cold cluster at least, what's that 65/35 in favour of mild.

Yeah, I'd say it's about that. Maybe 70-30

It continues deeper into the ensemble run

image.thumb.png.893b8df80338d139e9f1127e1151dee7.png

Edited by LRD
  • Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, LRD said:

Damned if they do, damned if they don't

I think the Met Office do a terrific job most of the time but they do no right in some people's eyes. Get 8 out of 10 things right and are criticised for the 2. Weird

Anyway, another warm op run obviously with 2 distinct clusters setting up. Interesting. Short ensembles:

image.thumb.png.8898fdc433f496ab15d1a9ed3b15163b.png

Yes, ensembles are showing an increasing battle between scandi high and more mobile weather. Watching the trends! 

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

If the EPS show the same thing later this afternoon, the game’s right back on…

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
2 hours ago, MattStoke said:

Weekend trough popping up again on the ICON.

12_78_ukpreciptype.png

1 hour ago, Tim Bland said:

GFS similar to icon with a cm or 2 for some Sat night into Sunday morn 

E0C15346-3B8F-4D94-91BB-644A46EFB90A.png

E7FCAAE3-8B82-4B21-AB8E-DD30612720ED.png

Model output in "Cold spell might produce some non-frontal lowland snowfall" shocker.

Edited by The Enforcer
  • Like 1