Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
2 hours ago, Kasim Awan said:

I disagree, I can't see full model backtracking of such a powerful jet stream. Though it is possible, if it happens it will be due to models overestimating the jet stream and not underestimating the influence of surface cold.

Models can get both the jet stream and surface cold wrong equally 

Posted
4 hours ago, Kasim Awan said:

Looks like a few hours of light snow central / North Midlands & southern parts of Northern England. Freezing rain possible south of Birmingham and rain in the South.

We had light snow here for a short while and zero rain

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
4 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

You think that's a coherent signal for milder air? Disagree, its a flat line until the 7th for Aberdeen and then a 75/25%  in favor or mild for now but it's as week away and you can see some of the members keep it freezing. 

For London, yes. 1 cold straggler on its own from the 6th/7th

Edited by LRD
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, MattH said:

but despite what some may think, cold air can get displaced.

Good post,  but would like to point out, nobody said the above. Just that it can be hard to displace. 

• Like 9

Posted
1 hour ago, That ECM said:

If I was living north of Swindon I’d be looking at tomorrow evening/Sunday morning with interest.

I suspect not enough for a METO Amber warning? Looks like a fairly brief 'event' on GFS 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
7 minutes ago, BartyHater said:

Even 63 didn't kick off until after almost 4 weeks of winter and even then, there were some significant milder periods of thaw across the remaining 9 weeks. Even in Arctic Norway where I spent plenty of wintertime in the early 80's, we had frequent days, sometimes several back to back, where temps climbed up above freezing and we saw a fair amount of rain.

Agreed, it is virtually impossible to get a Winter without at least a few mild interludes in the UK, as shown even in the coldest winters on record which have these, this Winter is looking very interesting for the 2nd half especially.

Posted
1 hour ago, bluearmy said:

I assume that what many are looking at is the huge mass of frigid air building over scrussia - this can deflect the jet on a more se trajectory. We would expect that the eps with 137 vertical levels a would resolve this better than the gefs. But it’s all connected and if we do see a scandi high establish and split the flow just west of the U.K. then it will likely be due to several factors and not just the cold mass of dense air to our ne assisting in holding the current majority west to east modelled pattern further west. 

housekeeping - ec 06z a bit further north with the cold air sun am and also with the Mon am snow on the northern edge of the runner 

Any pics mate from the ecm 06z?!!!

Posted
8 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Any pics mate from the ecm 06z?!!!

image.thumb.png.d963ba340b13e0eb84274cb4a918a16d.pngimage.thumb.png.5cfb237027fb27acac1330073fa9cc2a.pngimage.thumb.png.254f5e8fe4527c0066f254f02aaafecd.png

Definitely looks like Saturday night into Sunday morning should be good for the Midlands.

image.thumb.png.5a561954860fab6e989a704998e2713f.pngimage.thumb.png.f944b8b72ed8c93a1835546ad60024bb.png

Also has precipitation during the day on Sunday but not sure how much of this would be Rain or Snow, if there is a covering overnight that should help.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mcconnor8 said:

image.thumb.png.d963ba340b13e0eb84274cb4a918a16d.pngimage.thumb.png.5cfb237027fb27acac1330073fa9cc2a.pngimage.thumb.png.254f5e8fe4527c0066f254f02aaafecd.png

Definitely looks like Saturday night into Sunday morning should be good for the Midlands.

image.thumb.png.5a561954860fab6e989a704998e2713f.pngimage.thumb.png.f944b8b72ed8c93a1835546ad60024bb.png

Also has precipitation during the day on Sunday but not sure how much of this would be Rain or Snow, if there is a covering overnight that should help.

Yes mate it would defo help if they had precipitation type charts for 06 and 18z on meteociel🤦‍♂️!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, booferking said:

Ec control keeps in the cold air till Wednesday that little uk high between the 2 lows holding back the Atlantic onslaught.

gens-0-1-120.png

gens-0-4-120 (1).png

gens-0-2-132.png

Beautiful!!op looked better at 90 hours aswell with a bit more amplification just to the west of us!!fingers crossed whatever snowfall hits the midlands wales area should stick around for a few days!!

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, booferking said:

Ec control keeps in the cold air till Wednesday that little uk high between the 2 lows holding back the Atlantic onslaught.

gens-0-1-120.png

gens-0-4-120 (1).png

gens-0-2-132.png

Yes Wed now looks favourite for the breakdown.

Tues night could be the coldest of the lot under that surface cold,if snow-covered terrain and its slack I wouldn't be surprised to see -10 Midlands way.

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, booferking said:

Ec control keeps us in the cold air till Wednesday that little uk high between the 2 lows holding back the Atlantic onslaught.

gens-0-1-120.png

gens-0-4-120 (1).png

gens-0-2-132.png

image.thumb.png.59ac3c0e0215e768334c49224436ad6a.pngimage.thumb.png.917dd0846ccf258090a6bec28ed5bb38.pngimage.thumb.png.cf272ab5086c7782e2c6be91c2225def.pngimage.thumb.png.a67ba876ae1fcec0d66f88235aa7a7bd.png

06z Vs 0z for Thursday morning, cold putting up more of a fight, the breakdown just keeps getting slowly delayed each day.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
Just now, sheikhy said:

Beautiful!!op looked better at 90 hours aswell with a bit more amplification just to the west of us!!fingers crossed whatever snowfall hits the midlands wales area should stick around for a few days!!

Thursday 7th and Atlantic finding it hard sliding low snowy breakdown for some.

gens-0-1-144.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, booferking said:

gens-0-1-144.png

Wow ecm control keeping it very cold out to day 6 and maybe beyond!startin to get nervous again❄️👀!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Yes Wed now looks favourite for the breakdown.

Tues night could be the coldest of the lot under that surface cold,if snow-covered terrain and its slack I wouldn't be surprised to see -10 Midlands way.

Thursday 7th on Ec control 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, booferking said:

gens-0-1-144.png

Could be like one of 06z gfs members @Mike Pooleposted earlier. In the past I was indifferent to control members but as @bluearmyhas informed on several occasions ECM control is run at the same level as the op and should be aliged with up to around day 7   

Edited by TSNWK

Posted
11 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Wow ecm control keeping it very cold out to day 6 and maybe beyond!startin to get nervous again❄️👀!!

I find it fascinating, watching a big system just grinding to a halt like that, 

Everytime it looks like the milder air is going to get in, it adjusts at 96-120 hours 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Battleground Snow said:

I find it fascinating, watching a big system just grinding to a halt like that, 

Everytime it looks like the milder air is going to get in, it adjusts at 96-120 hours 

You reckon snow cover is messing around with the models aswell?!!!!our area seems to be the battleground from saturday night all the way to monday !!!!

Edited by sheikhy
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

You reckon snow cover is messing around with the models aswell?!!!!our area seems to be the battleground from saturday night all the way to monday !!!!

Needs to shift south by 150 miles 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

I think it's mainly going to be above 200 meters for both sat night and Monday, hence why there isn't a warning out yet, and annoyingly I sit at about 150 meters, but probably going to he a nowcast, especially with evaporative cooling in the mix

• Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Battleground Snow said:

I think it's mainly going to be above 200 meters for both sat night and Monday, hence why there isn't a warning out yet, and annoyingly I sit at about 150 meters, but probably going to he a nowcast, especially with evaporative cooling in the mix

Lucky you!!im at 110 i think!!!!

• Like 1