Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild, sunny winters/stormy, snowy winters and warm, dry summers

Looks like the PV stopped existing yet we are still getting westerly winds and mild-ish weather lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Enemy? No. It is aiding a significant attack on the strat vortex. And then - as it fades - the pattern shifts east to west. Clear on both ensemble means today. So far the trend for this month, after a cold spell that I think has generally over delivered, is sticking to the script.

I very much hope you're right...but I'm yet to be won over by this argument, having seen this kind of thing a few times over the years. I'll reserve judgement until midweek, by which time I hope GFS has brought the change forward into at least the semi reliable timeframe and isn't still toying with it in deep FI

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
37 minutes ago, swfc said:

Tbh Nws was making a point about going forward, not really picking any bones. 🙄

Yes I was agreeing with him.

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, BartyHater said:

I very much hope you're right...but I'm yet to be won over by this argument, having seen this kind of thing a few times over the years. I'll reserve judgement until midweek, by which time I hope GFS has brought the change forward into at least the semi reliable timeframe and isn't still toying with it in deep FI

I'm with you.  Lots of theory but for most coldies it's about impact on the ground. For example a Canadian warming is much lorded however on this occasion I'm not convinced on its  merit. Yes the vortex has been kicked aside but we are still effected by the jetstream and westerlys 

Edited by TSNWK
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
2 hours ago, Liam Burge said:

A fairly significant cluster of ECMWF ensemble members are going for an SSW during the 1st-2nd week of January. This has been shown for some time, and every day more members are joining this cluster.

FWIW, I do believe that by mid Jan we'll be seeing an SSW.

image.thumb.png.76ab6adb17f2b1b4edcb72a64ee121d8.pngimage.thumb.png.1087fe4df2675505149656721ba53e5d.png

Yes looking good.What is also noticable is the dramatic drop off in the mean zonal winds leading up to Christmas.

A much weaker and preturbed tropospheric vortex looks likely in a couple of weeks or so.All in line with the expectation of Arctic heights building later in the month.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

This really does remind me of last December, a very promising start with plenty of very cold frosty weather with snow for a lucky few.

Then when it broke down we all thought the Atlantic wouldn’t be in control for long, but it took an age for the next real cold chase that ended in a whimper in March.

Once the Atlantic gets in, it can take an age to get back to something cold for the UK even without a strong PV as we’re seeing now. Background signals look somewhat promising, but we’ve all fallen into that trap before chasing the never ending carrot 🥕

Let’s just hope this winter is a little different!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
12 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

I'm with you.  Lots of theory but for most coldies it's about impact on the ground. For example a Canadian warming is much lorded however on this occasion I'm not convinced on its  merit. Yes the vortex has been kicked aside but we are still effected by the jetstream and westerlys 

Can you point out wich jet you mean? I only see fragments of it… as posted earlier by me 😅

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

So, the GFS 06Z is complete, and it looks as if (for the time being at least) the cold air is on the retreat:

image.thumb.png.08cfb479c48e2ca2dc52d835ee5af597.png   image.thumb.png.4ba5b759d9aa2cd5c18eb06a14397494.png

image.thumb.png.4815bb699c1ce865241f287eeb5aee51.png   image.thumb.png.4b5725b3f245f0e7a347c3e2ce1f80c0.png

image.thumb.png.da76906afd5a42ffbe8f308912b8aa63.png   image.thumb.png.da0465b2c7ce9c418233120090aabfd7.png

But at least the 15C 850s to our south look interesting! :santa-emoji:

• Like 4

Posted
10 minutes ago, Vikos said:

Can you point out wich jet you mean? I only see fragments of it… as posted earlier by me 😅

Jets in bits or not  we still have low pressures to introduce atlantic 

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

We need some jet and associated low systems from the west to prop up the heights and avoid a general sceuro ridge where we can’t advect any proper cold from the east. As Matt mentioned earlier, avoiding high euro heights is pretty much essential for a proper cold spell across the southern half of the U.K. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
19 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

I get your frustration but it's a matter of looking at the bigger/longer-term picture. Accept the next 10-14 days of westerlies and keep an eye on what the output, teleconnections and the likes of MattyH, Catacol, bluearmy, Tamara, etc say about the 2nd half of the month. I'd suggest there is no point agonising over this next period

Besides we need some jet energy going into Europe

Edited by LRD
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Ec 0z control (op) looking to find winter again in later stages...with a few cold ens in support..wide spread though reflective of mean hugging LT mean..

ens_image-2023-12-03T115839_681.thumb.png.5db01e633606566f7c85ceb7ef7b8188.png

..will hopefully see this downward modelling in 850s ens increase in the extendeds in line with the drivers becoming more favourable as outlined in the informative posts of MattH , Catacol and others above...no guarantees of course but hopefully in a better position re drivers than last year...

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

Bloody azores high trying to ruin things 

Just you wait, Azores high upgrades will be few and far between come the summer… 😅

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
1 hour ago, Jacob said:

Looks like the PV stopped existing yet we are still getting westerly winds and mild-ish weather lol

Unfortunately, that is the result of a Hadley cell, which these days do seem to be larger and more influential and at times stubborn to shift. You can have a Mobile train of weather systems, but that doesn’t always involve the high-pressure and the systems just ride over the top of it dragging in the moulder south Westerly or Southerly winds. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Very late in the run and of course very much fi but that gfs op almost splits the spv at 10hpa. It certainly does a bit further down 

And then the gates to narnia opens… patience is needed by a few here, outcome can be epic around xmas…

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Just you wait, Azores high upgrades will be few and far between come the summer… 😅

That can sometimes be the case that it seems like it just influences at the wrong time which we all wish for. in other words bugger off in winter and please come home to the UK in summer. Beggars certainly can’t be choosers with our weather on this island.

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, LRD said:

I get your frustration but it's a matter of looking at the bigger/longer-term picture. Accept the next 10-14 days of westerlies and keep an eye on what the output, teleconnections and the likes of MattyH, Catacol, bluearmy, Tamara, etc say about the 2nd half of the month. I'd suggest there is no point agonising over this next period

Besides we need some jet energy going into Europe

Agree with you to a point, but there have been occasions where the Teleconnections don’t apply to our local at times stubborn weather patterns. 

• Like 2