Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

ECMWF ensemble. Flat as a pancake from a temperature point of view for London.

image.thumb.png.5f33cd75b99e44cde793ebe2d817c24b.png

Colder for longer in Aberdeen.

image.thumb.png.9637a30e5641c63cbb14d9213cfe907c.png

And this time, the cold is hanging on better into Scandinavia.

image.thumb.png.76d443b866375dd2238236d5bdecb882.png

Slightly more optimistic than the 06z GFS was looking earlier - let's see how this goes over the next few runs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.
3 hours ago, Catacol said:

Yes - strong phase 7/8 progged by EPS also.

image.thumb.png.50ae9a94c6b32e388572f1fd5455338d.png

GWO now starting to climb back into Nino phases, 

image.thumb.gif.d0d484f80eec691ba584f7f14bb28a6a.gif
supported by a solid rise in relative AAM

image.thumb.gif.57dced8e052f36cc81e493436c15da28.gif

+EAMT starting to engage as a driver in this

image.thumb.gif.edfc4b359eab8220652aded02f647932.gif

courtesy of high pressure sweeping SE over the Tibetan Plateau. 
image.thumb.png.fe59d124ea52b7816f105e4f9ac82205.png

Teleconnective end result looks about as nailed on as it can be and given the speed of the MJO through the IO changes may occur at the early end of the “final third” envelope.

A SSW at the turn of the year on top?

I can't remember who mentioned it much earlier in the thread, but it was highlighted that an SSW could potentially scupper the prospects of cold if the teleconnections are aligned favourably. Is that the case or did I misunderstand?

• Like 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Fair point. For me this is 3rd day running we've got atleast a dusting of snow with a light covering this morning.. Very memorable for this time of year. So maybe a bit IMBYism.. 

But look at the event parts of Cumbria had yesterday, the North East, parts of Scotland and a small part of Midlands have seen some snowfall.. So not exclusively in my kneck of the woods. 

Point is doesn't take much for unexpected events for good snowfall when ya get locked into -5 uppers for few days.. Unfortunately for the South it just wasn't your turn.

Our snow "event" occurred again from WSW via more organised systems. Otherwise we would still be waiting for a shower to reach us from the NE and last around 15min. Ofc this setup doesn't benefit the south of the country. 

• Like 2

Posted
25 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Surprised there isn't more commentary on the outer edges of the ECM Op tonight. 

240h

image.thumb.png.612a846579045f6d197d2ef13c2517ff.png

Same general them as the GFS op and ensemble suites earlier today. I still dont think we will see the pattern click cold until later in the month, but from mid month we have undercutting and high tendencies backing west. Wouldn't rule out some wintry scenarios in the middle third despite the sense it will be a generally mobile pattern.

Ooh, Spanish plume!!!! Does that mean i can turn my meeting off 🤣

Looking through the GEFS earlier there was a an increasing number of runs building pressure over Iberia, so something like this isn't completely out of the question IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Been a few days since I did the ECM SST forecasts, so let's break them out again. Remember that a week ago we were showing major reductions in the SST anomalies by day 15, but in another update a couple of days later, this signal had weakened a lot. Let's see how it looks this time.

Currently, we have near-normal SSTs to our immediate SW and NE, milder than average near Greenland and Iceland, and much milder than average around the Azores. 

image.thumb.png.7c6f9bae9bafa3aeb4d259c499ddca52.png

Here are the charts for day 5, day 10 and day 15. Throughout the period. we see a general trend towards decreased moderation of NE and direct W spells. The Azores continues to show very high SST anomalies, and the NW is still somewhat milder than average.

Hence, we really want easterly setups for notable cold, which may be more impressive than of late. A NW / SE jet stream alignment probably has a lower chance of delivering cold than usual, and there's a greater than normal chance of unusually mild conditions if we get any south-westerlies originating from the Azores.

image.thumb.png.27afe077184d2c6c7be8ec57cd0fce2a.png image.thumb.png.1123d0838f7b9e89d5ed42965134274d.png image.thumb.png.044e15d9ff016b40874df6fd0379b335.png

• Like 6

Posted

This would be a good place to be by day 8 I think!! 

IMG_1712.png

• Like 4

Posted

I actually still think the cold block to our north east is giving the models some headaches. The ecm op tonight is quite an eye opener and I can't believe it hasn't received much coverage on here this evening. 

• Like 7

Posted
3 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

It’s not even worth speculating on the Det runs when the ensembles look like this. An absolute mess with no signal on a route forward.

IMG_3614.thumb.png.b2949669b8a36d3acff7f1b87c64ec88.png

Indeed. I've felt for the last couple of days that the models are in a state of flux. 

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

It’s not even worth speculating on the Det runs when the ensembles look like this. An absolute mess with no signal on a route forward.

By the 17th December it is just laughable! Range from -12C to +14C on the 850s. By the way, I'm almost certain that +14C would be a record breaker for mid-December? What would that be under the right conditions - 20C at the surface maybe?

And of course -12C would be an interesting run up to Christmas...

I always find these ensemble charts interesting for precisely this reason - if you think as I do that the ensembles are kind of like possible worlds, it's interesting to think that there's a potential world where we're out in shorts and T-shirts in mid-December, and also one where we're prepping for an absolute snow-fest.

All interesting but nonetheless unlikely to verify. Then again, we all though that when 40C was first picked up by a rogue GFS run in early July last year...

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Got no clue do they? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

Pub run, ordered on Wish

image.thumb.png.c0ebe6f3e7817647e7494c3825e68401.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
Just now, WYorksWeather said:

By the 17th December it is just laughable! Range from -12C to +14C on the 850s. By the way, I'm almost certain that +14C would be a record breaker for mid-December? What would that be under the right conditions - 20C at the surface maybe?

And of course -12C would be an interesting run up to Christmas...

I always find these ensemble charts interesting for precisely this reason - if you think as I do that the ensembles are kind of like possible worlds, it's interesting to think that there's a potential world where we're out in shorts and T-shirts in mid-December, and also one where we're prepping for an absolute snow-fest.

All interesting but nonetheless unlikely to verify. Then again, we all though that when 40C was first picked up by a rogue GFS run in early July last year...

Warmest I've ever seen was uppers of about 10-12C in December back on the 27th of December, 1983 but there may be instances of it being higher. That spell brought temperatures of 15-17C so you could imagine at least 17-19C being possible. I don't think it has anything more than approximately 1% chance of verifying!

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Historical weather events. ❤ the seasons! Winters crisp snow!
25 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

IMG_3614.thumb.png.b2949669b8a36d3acff7f1b87c64ec88.pngScreenshot_20231203-225125_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.fdd80525de9ec13665d3de8fc7c21267.jpg

Imo these two distinct clusters show the direction of travel around mid month. Teleconnections coming into play as yourself and a few others have suggested. One to watch 

Screenshot_20231203-225125_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.ee18a67764f0b552b03f8fb1f4bc1667.jpg

Edited by icykev
  • Like 4