Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Strong split reversal on the 06z and a slow burner in the trop that looks primed for retrogression in week 3 

Yep 👍 

C35D1BB2-FCC6-4E45-A570-09409A15EC72.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
2 hours ago, Kentspur said:

You're fine up in Scotland looks primed for some atleast temporary snowfalls being that far north.

Anyway wheres our ECM clusters brigade to bring us some festive cheer?

Not in central belt I am afraid,   anyhoo everyone have a great day 🥳 off on cooking  duties

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Merry Christmas 🎄.. one n, All. And the output should soon start strong assumptions on the upper layers 🤘.. have a good en.     🎄🎄🙏🤘

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
2 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Merry Christmas 🎄.. one n, All. And the output should soon start strong assumptions on the upper layers 🤘.. have a good en.     🎄🎄🙏🤘

All the best pal. Nice to see you back 🙏🙏

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Merry Xmas all - have a magical day ! Some fun modelling ahead for NWP geeks, nice Xmas gift for 2023 and early 2024 !

image.thumb.png.52634dbd62cdcc1e8d0845a9edb4559d.png

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Merry Christmas everyone, latest GFS ends with a significant split and a large reversal of zonal winds. Pretty much every run now is headed in that sort of direction, we've seen it go wrong before but for now, enjoy the festive cheer in the models. 

Given that it's a significant wave-1 perhaps weak wave-2 that's strong enough to split the vortex on this run, then if we get something similar, it could be a pretty major Stratospheric event. Not often we get a Wave-1 strong enough to completely thermally cut through the vortex. The release of energy from the Ural omega block is clearly having some potential. Would be an interesting case study if it were to occur. If the models keep modelling this with mot much impact from the attempted Greenland warming and more the Ural-north Pacific wave, I'll probably go in-depth at some point. For now, enjoy it. 

winds10hpa_20231225_06_384.thumb.jpg.752628ed1261cab049b61c8dc0e69c30.jpg

10temp_anom_20231225_06_384.thumb.jpg.738ef717915e1f4b7bf0c47037acc7a5.jpg

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Light winds and sunny. Cold in winter, not hot in summer.
52 minutes ago, snowspotter said:

Presume we’re looking at the average red dotted line ? If so believe it shows a warming (moderate) early January ? Am. Correct . The purple line obviously goes off on one but not until April so that’s no use 

I think you’re misreading the plot. It’s not showing temperature, it’s showing the westerly component of stratospheric wind. An SSW leads to this falling below zero (reversal to easterly). The OP refers to the GEFS which is the green. Red is not an average, it is what happened last year.

• Thanks 1

Posted

A very merry Christmas to all my winter (and mild lol) lovers on this great forum 🎄🎄❄❄♥♥. I hope you all have a fantastic day with your loved ones. Love and peace to you all ❤ ❤ xxx

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Blessings to everyone. Good times ahead next year for everyone and hopefully some great weather, whatever your preference 🙏🙏🙏

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
23 minutes ago, BartyHater said:

It might be 384 and into the middle third of Jan, but the P word can probably be used here….at last.

Hopefully that P will be realised in the 2nd half of the month and into Feb.

IMG_5684.jpeg

As expected GFS 6z op run an outlier towards the end (full ensembles not out just yet on wetterzentrale) but trending colder for north and south alike

Screenshot_20231225_115301_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231225_115306_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow

Merry Christmas everyone.

Just a comparison between the last two EPS of the GFS. The difference is huge. The 00 being s lot colder. This is the 2m for my location. Something about the reliability of the GFS6?

gfs-leeuwarden-knmi-nl-5.thumb.jpeg.d676230b2eae4989bff48340575eb9f3.jpeg

gfs-leeuwarden-knmi-nl-5(1).thumb.jpeg.6486662d6aeb5b7a7e999d130ad80dbc.jpeg

It's a real chaos. 

Edited by AO-
  • Like 3

Posted
28 minutes ago, BartyHater said:

It might be 384 and into the middle third of Jan, but the P word can probably be used here….at last.

Hopefully that P will be realised in the 2nd half of the month and into Feb.

IMG_5684.jpeg

What is p please?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

Morning everyone,merry xmas!Gfs anomolie chart at the end of its run is amazing..so much reds around Greenland

It feels to me like charts beyond 240 hours are being taken way too seriously. They are nothing more than cannon fodder. An optimal SSW response for the UK is 5050 with a tropospheric vortex the strength it is currently.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
8 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

It feels to me like charts beyond 240 hours are being taken way too seriously. They are nothing more than cannon fodder. An optimal SSW response for the UK is 5050 with a tropospheric vortex the strength it is currently.

Within the 31 there’s many pretty “cannon fodder” which leads to a lovely mean”😃🎅

IMG_9802.png

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 1

I don't think a major SSW and polar vortex split will reduce the strength of the Azores high much. The jet stream yes, but that high pressure system is driven by other telleconnection factors which can't change as quick. Some short sharp cold spells still seem possible if we get the SSW and PV split but anything prolonged looks unlikely for this reason.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
1 minute ago, Kasim Awan said:

I don't think a major SSW and polar vortex split will reduce the strength of the Azores high much. The jet stream yes, but that high pressure system is driven by other telleconnection factors which can't change as quick. Some short sharp cold spells still seem possible if we get the SSW and PV split but anything prolonged looks unlikely for this reason.

The ensembles must be seeing something the GFS op was mostly a warm outlier anyhow im keeping the faith and happy to wait it out...

Screenshot_20231225_121443_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231225_121459_Samsung Internet.jpg

2 minutes ago, That ECM said:

Within the 31 there’s many pretty “cannon fodder” which leads to a lovely mean”😃🎅

IMG_9802.png

At that range it means nothing. Models loose grasp on the main driving pressure systems by around 240h.

Just now, Kentspur said:

The ensembles must be seeing something the GFS op was mostly a warm outlier anyhow im keeping the faith and happy to wait it out...

Screenshot_20231225_121443_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231225_121459_Samsung Internet.jpg

I think a few temporary cold snaps mid month, CET will likely be between 4 and 5.5C.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

At that range it means nothing. Models loose grasp on the main driving pressure systems by around 240h.

I think a few temporary cold snaps mid month, CET will likely be between 4 and 5.5C.

That's not great then..we need a CET of between 1.5 and 2.5c..that would make most of us happy

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

That's right kasim..and them particular charts often look a lot better then they are!and I agree it's probably a little too far out too take seriously

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
2 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

That's not great then..we need a CET of between 1.5 and 2.5c..that would make most of us happy

It’s absolutely fine. None of us including Kasim are in control.😃👍

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 4