Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

Not really sure we any closer to resolving the first few days of the new year yet and in it’s latter stages the ECM looks rudderless, with a S Scandi High and a massive N Atlantic dartboard Low.

The ENS from GFS still show plenty of scatter, but the mean never drifts to far from average in the new year and the Op still manages to be one of the coldest members later in the run.

As for the minor models all show a variation on the ‘colder’ theme without demonstrating any kind of inter run consistency, so imo the 12 suite continues to ask more questions than it answers…. and I suspect that situation will persist for several days yet.

Edited by BartyHater
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
26 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

now we just need to correct set up 🤞🤞🤞🥶🥶🥶

And there lies the problem - easterlies becoming less and less common, warmer sst's aiding short waves becoming of note of recent years.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
45 minutes ago, Catacol said:

I love it when the models struggle for coherence. ECM toward the end of the run is a mess - doesn’t know if it is coming or going. Sure sign that things are becoming more than a little interesting…

We could very easily end up with nothing cold wise. As has more often than not been the case.

Need the GFS and ensembles to agree on the cold solutions.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

We could very easily end up with nothing cold wise. As has more often than not been the case.

Need the GFS and ensembles to agree on the cold solutions.

Correct. Although this is the overwhelming outside chance with what’s about to go off in the atmosphere this next 2 weeks!

• Like 3

Posted

So while we look forward to a promise of wintry conditions in January worth commenting that most will have endured yet another snowless December. It must be around the 10th mild Bland Christmas here in a row, which rivals anything the 90s threw at us...

Now the positive stuff, it's clear to me the Strat is going to have a major impact as we move into the New Year. All of the big weather guru's including the Met Office seem to be going for this one!! When last did we get a decent January cold spell?? I genuinely can't remember one other than the tail end of '09

If we were gambling we'd be bankrupt long ago, a royal flush in January would be sweet

Edited by January Snowstorm
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Correct. Although this is the overwhelming outside chance with what’s about to go off in the atmosphere this next 2 weeks!

We’ve had that before - and still ended up with nothing.

I wouldn’t go any further than a 10% chance of a significant cold spell. We need a lot more runs yet.

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, January Snowstorm said:

So while we look forward to a promise of wintry conditions in January worth commenting that most will have endured yet another snowless December. It must be around the 10th mild Bland Christmas here in a row, which rivals anything the 90s threw at us...

Now the positive stuff, it's clear to me the Strat is going to have a major impact as we move into the New Year. All of the big weather guru's including the Met Office seem to be going for this one!! When last did we get a decent January cold spell?? I genuinely can't remember one other than the tail end of '09

Yeah, I was overseas for the 2009 Jan cold spell - and the Nov/Dec 2010 spell for that matter  - and poorly fur the 2018 BFTE 🤦🏼‍♂️ - I feel like I deserve a proper prolonged winter period - and an SSW early Jan is just about perfect timing in relation to the coldest point of winter a few weeks later 🤞

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
5 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

If we were gambling we'd be bankrupt long ago, a royal flush in January would be sweet

The Met Office are going for drier and more settled cold conditions which may not include widespread snow though.

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Now that’s an interesting ensemble. And strays yet stays within its realm b4 base dropping!. The perturbations plots will tell more ..

018AAFBB-0E7E-48AE-A6CD-F0453E60DAEE.png

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Scott Ingham said:

The stratospheric warming is 85% certain to happen and 60% of these produce wintry spells of significance so that 10% figure is a wild assumption backed by no discernible evidence

60% may produce wintry spells but there’s no guarantee that we will be in the right place to benefit.

I’m just trying to ground people’s expectations. And we also know that the vast majority of modelled cold spells go wrong.

So my 10% is based on many years of model watching experience.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
8 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

Mid Jan 2013 was pretty good. Don't know about Cork but my home area had 18 inches of snow by the 22nd.

IMG_2600.png

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, BartyHater said:

With a couple of obvious exceptions, December has pretty much become a late Autumn month across much of the last 20-30 years, with cold weather being far more likely in March.

Indeed but it's a different cold really isn't it. Mindsets have moved on to thinking of Spring in March. Cold spells are not disruptive in March compared to mid Winter. Your point is right though, March is statistically colder than Dec

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

The Met Office are going for drier and more settled cold conditions which may not include widespread snow though.

Any long range forecasting of an easterly will likely say it will be drier and more settled, it generally is on the whole but with bands of snow and times - and more showery on east facing coasts. Looking at the temps in Scandy, and some sea temps slightly higher than average for Jan; it could be the perfect scenario - should it materialise of course!! 

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
11 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

yes but you can still have a good covering of snow and it be classed as dry. You need a fair bit of snow to be the equivalent of  1" of rain 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

60% may produce wintry spells but there’s no guarantee that we will be in the right place to benefit.

I’m just trying to ground people’s expectations. And we also know that the vast majority of modelled cold spells go wrong.

So my 10% is based on many years of model watching experience.

They only go wrong the vast majority of time if you follow every chase without counter proofing the chances of these cold model spells happening against any known forecasting science. I’m just saying this time and this chase has an overwhelming amount of scientific theory/fact and weather sense to make it more likely than other chases. A considerable number higher than 10% of it happening anyway! Haha! I respect your viewpoint if you like to forecast based on past model experience but I have to politely disagree with your view point mate. As ever all will be known come week 2 in January onwards and we will have a post mortem regardless of good or bad outcome wise in order to drive future self improvement and knowledge

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, Drifter said:

I must admit i feared this after the eps 0z mean 10mb height chart but more particularly GFS suites, although 12z GFS op was an improvement on 00 and 06.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Drifter said:

I bloody hope not, let’s hope that trend disappears quickly 😩

• Like 2

Posted

24 hour change in 12z EPS for London this is start in right direction….

IMG_0964.thumb.png.0e1994c8a8ce42d63d52736c4b8c3e5f.pngIMG_1054.thumb.png.96666d8ab05fc57c8ac49f211dc48b83.png

adding Birmingham

IMG_0996.thumb.png.4993c28540f096d4b9434fcb24a62453.png 

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1