Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

UKMO at 168, WAA about to head to Greenland. Still a little far out. GEM is awesome 

IMG_2137.png

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

GFS and GEM at T240:

IMG_8214.thumb.png.c504ce16c9dfc24f4a6e044f7a7dba38.pngIMG_8213.thumb.png.70260184f730cd0736704b44f02c1aaf.png

GFS is an improvement on earlier runs.  GEM has a setup with much more chance of longevity, I think.  

Definitely looking at them two charts..it's day 10 again though..or you think things were ok before that?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Still could end up with a UK High but there's a way to go yet & lots to be optimistic about, Squares with the maintained narrative from Exeter - More settled and colder.

GFSOPEU12_264_1.thumb.png.943165681f4d89c9233f264b7ac7d2bb.png

Edited by Purga
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Ali1977 said:

UKMO at 168, WAA about to head to Greenland. Still a little far out. GEM is awesome 

IMG_2137.png

That looks very cold and slack.. pop up opportunities 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
2 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

IMG_2137.png

image.thumb.png.15eb43b8ff4802be4f9772224df7e4eb.png

Cold air over us a week today, that's fine from UKMO

• Like 2

Posted

GFS beginning to sniff at it, but then just can't bring itself to do it, issue is the negative tilt of the wave break. You need a dig SE on the back of the break to push the jet south. You can see this on the 168 from UKMO, and subsequently the low coming out of the states has energy already heading SE.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
2 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

Definitely looking at them two charts..it's day 10 again though..or you think things were ok before that?

GEM and ICON good at day 8.  GFS, I didn’t like the angle and as you can see it is collapsing.  UKMO I am unsure about.  On to ECM.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

GFS and UKMO at 168 pretty well matched side by side...

gfsnh-0-168.thumb.png.34b79e0fd5f7850868ada2bdf5c521ab.pngukmonh-0-168.thumb.png.1f2fbb5bab572767fede6e24a1beb627.png

• Like 3

Posted
19 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

West based -NAO a real concern now.

It’s possible - especially if we get a quick downwelling wave at high latitude with first reversal around 3 Jan. I think the ec control run this morning went that way.  There was a drift to bring the euro low heights a little further north on the 06z gefs but we’d need to see more before becoming too concerned about it. Especially as we’ve seen a tpv segment keen on hanging around over e Canada 

certainly something to be aware of given that the nwp may not be picking up how much neg AO may arrive approaching mid month 

although I get that you are worrying about earlier in the run than I am speaking about 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

GEM/ICON have an easterly South West of Greenland whilst the UK is under SW Winds. Lots of high pressure but not conducive to significant cold / snow.

gem-0-180.png

icon-0-180 (2).png

Not due to a West based -NAO though, but down to the absence of a -NAO.

Posted

At the very least it looks like it will become cold and dry- after all the rain of late I will take that. We have floods in places that  usually don't flood at the moment 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

GEM/ICON have an easterly South West of Greenland whilst the UK is under SW Winds. Lots of high pressure but not conducive to significant cold / snow.

gem-0-180.png

icon-0-180 (2).png

5 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Favourite chart for me is the UKMO ..there appears to be extensive hp moving northwest..and the push seems far stronger then other models..I think that would go into something special!

Posted
Just now, Kasim Awan said:

5050 between cold and Azores high pushing in for me.

We could get faux cold if the Azores high pushes in after a while. I obviously want snow as much as the next guy  but we know if there is a way for it to go pear shaped for us it usually does. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow

Nothing west based NAO- in this run, but the block collapses. Untill day 10 great. Room for improvement later on in the run.

GFSOPEU12_288_1.png

Edited by AO-

Posted
17 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

IMG_2137.png

Seems to me a toppler in a couple of days. On the westside of the anticyclone the movement is too much from west tot east. 😉