Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

We're going to be in a holding pattern for a couple of days, before the finer details start to reveal themselves.  But just looking at the macro, the 18z day 10 chart is synoptically very impressive  I would be somewhat surprised if most areas don't see some proper winter weather within the next couple of weeks.  Best model watching for a couple of years if nothing else!

• Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

May struggle on this run too much high pressure in the Meditteranean.

Pressure is dropping over Europe as the trough drops down..watching that low near Portugal could ruin things

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, January Snowstorm said:

Heavy and persistent frosty nights is a slight exageration. 0 to minus 2 across most areas in early January is nothing to write home about...

I spotted a -4 in Wales 😁

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
1 hour ago, Neilsouth said:

Hope we don't get stuck in no-mans land for weeks with the high over us!

Sounds quite appealing to me if I'm honest...

Now for a random observation, I've noticed today that Meteociel has become the latest site to add MOGREPS (UK Met Office ensemble model), and they seem to have a few parameters that other sites don't, and more precise choice of location - I don't think they've got the whole of the UK covered though, just the southern half of Great Britain.

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/mogreps2.php

image.thumb.png.a3480a50fecbc6970cbad69ba26d810a.png

https://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/mogreps_display.php?x=0&y=0&run=12&lat=50.804&lon=-1.978&runpara=0&col=1&type=10

image.thumb.png.5dfb57bf4ee97fb4faad4038d5b0a75c.png

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/mogreps_table.php?x=0&y=0&lat=50.804&lon=-1.978&run=12&mode=2&sort=1

image.thumb.png.72d7c74ed512177d09efd09bcbbb6b92.png

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

18z looking to be monumental…..direct Arctic hit incoming

BFTP

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

Yes day 10 should be fine..

The story of this winter. If only we lived in day 10! I'd have had at least a couple of blizzards by now even here 🤣 

Seen this sort of thing many times over the years. Everything stays out at day 10 until one morning we log on to find a great big fat Bartlett is all over the charts at day 10 which of course verifies 🤣

My guess is that we see the high sit on top of us for a good 10 days, we then get a brief but punchy northerly (2 day spell) and then a further UK high.

Edited by Jason M
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

Carm down the 18z looks beautiful 😍

627F6D9F-C87E-4CD0-93EE-F7A8E939F67A.png

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, January Snowstorm said:

Heavy and persistent frosty nights is a slight exageration. 0 to minus 2 across most areas in early January is nothing to write home about...

Lol.... It's a start. Most Januaries over the last 20 plus years can't even deliver this. Add to that the massive potential going forwards with the ever growing and irresistible trend of retrogression to Greenland. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Trend continues to be a settled outlook, after weeks of unsettled atlantic weather.

All eyes on where high pressure will sit. Initially over the UK to bring seasonal temps and a return of frost. Longer term signal grows we may import notable colder uppers from the north/ north east as it swings away to our NW. 

GFS18z shows it turning very cold and wintry.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!
2 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

18z looking to be monumental…..direct Arctic hit incoming

BFTP

It's onto something 

Posted

And again it’s looking good - the ground will have dried out a little, the surface temp will be much colder after a week of frost - all ready for the big snow events and the deep freeze - memorable period starts this weekend 👌

IMG_2292.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Control BTW

image.thumb.png.11b5f471fa2b6ef0b0249926664bb668.png

• Like 7

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

We seem to be growing our own cold pool as we wait for Mr Arctic to call by.. 

image.thumb.png.6f6667392e3541c6584a105c8d4b4268.png

A bit disappointing from an imby perspective . I was hoping for ice days by this point, but if the high does go into Greenland  a couple of days later that will  be soon forgotten about  

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Harveyslugger said:

Not the smartest here but I think the temperatures would actually be much lower in reality than showed and gfs tends to overdo minimum temperatures😄

Agree with that, whilst not especially cold,uppers of 0 to -5 degrees under a slack airstream and a high direct over the UK with no atlantic feed in early-mid Jan will be cold. The minimal solar heating will help to hold temps down.

• Like 9

Posted

Let's just hope it's not a dirty high. 

I don't think I could cope with a couple of weeks of anticyclonic gloom, not after such an awful winter so far 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Some pretty widespread severe frosts on offer from the 18z despite it being less amplified than other runs/models. Quite a classic cold & dry period coming up! 

• Like 6