Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
4 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

Surely the UKMO is not gonna be wrong with the uppers starting at T84 . -12s In the south east . I’d ignore the gfs at this early time frame surely ? 

B3561A65-D605-4AA0-A16B-BF11EC5A313F.png

DF75E6E1-7B21-4159-9FAC-EB8B7523B612.png

B4CDDC90-F768-466D-91AD-65C9BC6185E2.png

Yes the high Res models agree with much lower uppers too, so gfs is having a bit of bad time in the early timeframe.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.
4 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

If the GFS is right (it's a MASSIVE if), then it'll be a huge dent in the confidence of long range models, teleconnections and global drivers. It would, for me, be the final time that I ever trust them.

If the GFS in wrong (far more likely), it just reinforces the fact that it's a hopeless model.

ECM 12z will be a key run. I'd like to see the GFS also backtrack.

Reading this thread over the past few days there has been so much self congratulation at charts +240hrs away. We may still see a decent spell of cold weather but it just seemed premature to me to be saying it’s a done deal.

Hopefully this wobble is just that and we see the clean evolution return.

The GFS has led us up the garden path so many times and let us down.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Isn’t this just typical of the GFS though.

shows you filth one day then goes AWOL to suddenly showing the filth again.its either picked up a new signal or its going off on one.not to be discounted of course,but I think its been barking up the wrong tree for the last few runs.

we will see.

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

The sudden massive changes in amplitude across southern greenland on last few gfs runs is something to behold!!!!doesnt mean its correct though!!!!gfs was wrong as early as 48 hours yesterday on the 06z yesterday for the colder easterly on monday but came back around on the 12z!!!

Not long to wait until the 06 ECM 👀

I'm feeling pretty model fatigued at the moment!

But it's one of the best model watching periods we've have for a while, especially in a January 

Edited by Battleground Snow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I think gfs is having one of those wobbles and shall come back around in the next couple of runs!!!ideally i wana see the ecm 06z bring in that colder easterly to bolster that high a bit further north and west!!hopefully it happens...

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

This JFF FI chart sums up the UK chances:

image.thumb.png.599ea222a1ecf7577587794c147396bc.png

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
2 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

A lot of members seem to be going with the op at day 8..a bit concerning

The mean seems improved to me on the 0z at first glance though?

• Like 1

Posted

It goes wrong at 180, it should undercut the low but doesn't and just sits it in mid atlantic. I am guessing this model has issues with split flow (sorry if already been said), but this is a classic split flow situation and it just doesn't know how to handle it.

Edited by warrenb
  • Like 2

Posted

Just as a reminder, since a few posts have already been moved in there. If you just want to moan (or ramp for that matter) without any discussion of the actual model output, please head to the dedicated moans and ramps thread:

https://community.netweather.tv/topic/99729-moans-and-ramps/?do=getNewComment

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
9 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Isn’t this just typical of the GFS though.

shows you filth one day then goes AWOL to suddenly showing the filth again.its either picked up a new signal or its going off on one.not to be discounted of course,but I think its been barking up the wrong tree for the last few runs.

we will see.

I've been saying it for years...in possible northern blocking scenario's it goes from one extreme (47/63 white out det runs) to completely backing down, at a certain range it's useless only occasionally does it pick out trends.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

Mean at 228h

image.thumb.png.79cd62e6ea71dc66b7b4b84caed05e68.png

• Like 2

Posted

It’s worth noting Marco (UK Met) alluded to models overdoing Greenland blocking. Have we seen this over recent days - leading us up the garden path possibly. Are recent gfs runs more realistic as to where we are heading.

With so much potential on offer I think this fail if indeed we see one will hurt more than any other. The lack of ‘pro’s’ Onboard is concerning.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
4 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

The mean seems to be ok at day 9..but it's gives me the impression more of an Atlantic ridge.rather the a gh!

Or impression of cold from the N/NE 🙂 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
Just now, weathercold said:

It’s worth noting Marco (UK Met) alluded to models overdoing Greenland blocking. Have we seen this over recent days - leading us up the garden path possibly. Are recent gfs runs more realistic as to where we are heading.

With so much potential on offer I think this fail if indeed we see one will hurt more than any other. The lack of ‘pro’s’ Onboard is concerning.

To be fair he was talking more specifically about MSLP values over Greenland due to the height modelling over estimates the gap, 500hPa charts are not impacted by this issue. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

I've been saying it for years...in possible northern blocking scenario's it goes from one extreme (47/63 white out det runs) to completely backing down, at a certain range it's useless only occasionally does it pick out trends.

The good news though is that the day 12 charts that everybody will get depressed about today are just as big a waste of pixels as the day 12 charts people were ramping yesterday 😂.

If we look at todays output in the still long range but slightly more realistic day 8 range things haven't changed very much at all overnight. We still 'might' get a very cold outbreak, its still 'likely' to be short lived but its way out in la la land and it will be end of the weekend before we have a better idea.

We have been in worse positions in recent years!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine
1 minute ago, Jason M said:

The good news though is that the day 12 charts that everybody will get depressed about today are just as big a waste of pixels as the day 12 charts people were ramping yesterday 😂.

If we look at todays output in the still long range but slightly more realistic day 8 range things haven't changed very much at all overnight. We still 'might' get a very cold outbreak, its still 'likely' to be short lived but its way out in la la land and it will be end of the weekend before we have a better idea.

We have been in worse positions in recent years!

I agree let's see where we are come Monday morning. I know many of us want 2010 redux but that was a once in a hundred year event. For me some hard frosts and possible freezing fog and potential ice days will do just fine. I think this is pretty much guaranteed for much of next week. The following week starting the 15th is still ten days away so anything is possible. Personally I don't think narnia is on the way but just enjoy the cold and frost if you can. It can produce lovely picturesque scenes in itself. 

• Like 7