Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

I think the pivotal date to keep your eyes on, is this weekend where there is more or less an agreement from  gfs and ecm of putting some meat on the bones , of a decent shot of proper winter cold and the caveats of snow as well. It may well be that once that cold block is established across the UK,  then we may see the classic winter battleground of mild air trying to push up from the southwest and turning to snow as it does. Its been hinted on already. A way to go before then but I'm watching this weekend, closely as the potential for the floodgates of cold to envelope the uk ,which may in turn give us the goods that winter lovers really want. ....😨

h850t850eu-13.webp

ecmt850-11.webp

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

I’m from the south, and whilst yes it’s true we don’t tend to do well from convective showers in a northerly (easterlies are better for us in that regard), some of our biggest snowfalls have come from embedded cold due to an artic northerly and troughs developing or low pressure systems bumping up into entrenched cold. 

Get winds to veer to the NE or NW rather than a straight northerly and many more areas then also become prone to snow showers too.

Edited by danm
  • Like 3

Posted

ICON upgrade on snow shower risk for today/tonight. This model tends to struggle with shower development beyond very short range.

06_15_ukpreciptype.png

06_18_ukpreciptype.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Excellent runs this morning..

Trend is very good and its about ruddy time we saw a cold spell in the middle of January !!

I think we got lucky but this cold spell will have to go some to beat Jan 21 in my location, which saw 2 great snowfalls - followed by another on Feb 2nd. 

Looking at the models this morning I can understand the worries of some in the far south as it's very fine margins with many runs to go before the cold arrives and therefore opportunities for the cold to move incrementally further north. 

Here's hoping it goes the other way and we can see some cold and snow for all.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
6 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

ICON upgrade on snow shower risk for today/tonight. This model tends to struggle with shower development beyond very short range.

06_15_ukpreciptype.png

06_18_ukpreciptype.png

What i can say is there's alot of ppn towards France and Belgium now crossing the channel i think tonights going to be alot more active than people think

Screenshot_2024-01-08-09-38-26-55_263fc049ba7008d2f6712c9f9000dea9.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Cold, Thunder, Heat
13 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

06_15_ukpreciptype.png

06_18_ukpreciptype.png

Hmm right over my house in the Midlands...Even if it's just a dusting it would make things nice and wintery, and stick around for a couple of days while it's cold. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
7 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

The most misleading post of the day and why so many get confused 

BFTP

Tell me this then - Where have the sub -10’s and NE’lies gone that were showing up in the models last week ?

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Tell me this then - Where have the sub -10’s and NE’lies gone that were showing up in the models last week ?

Nobody's fault mate. Just what the models are showing currently. Probably be different come Wednesday.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

Absolutely this.  If it doesn't happen in my location, I love to see fellow snow-starved members get their fair share (It's not just the south that's had a rum time of it!!!).

Let's hope we all get a healthy dollop (technical term).

And while I'm typing this, it's snowing here 😃

Lucky for you hopefully they spread west..during the day..havnt seen even a flake of snow for couple years!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
8 hours ago, joggs said:

The models are trending pretty much the same over the last 5 days or so in my eyes. Promising nirvana at day 10.

No matter how much we all wish for the deep cold,snow,I can't see it coming. 

Expectations need to be roped in imo,then if the unexpected does happen..........Boom 

Wasn't the switch over to much colder weather always beginning around the 14th/15th of Jan and after that we have different ideas on the table?

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Neilsouth said:

Wasn't the switch over to much colder weather always beginning around the 14th/15th of Jan and after that we have different ideas on the table?

The 14th/15th is when the much colder conditions (ice days) are forecast to supposidly filter across the UK, until then we have a week of cooling taking place. The old addage is get the cold in and the snow will follow, i'm sticking with that for now.

• Like 8

Posted

image.thumb.png.a2c8c99e069b93403dae177e9277043e.png

06z run out to 114 and nothing much has changed as you would expect.

think we can safely say by day 6/7 the second lot of artic air will arrive.

need to watch the low pressure as it develops moving south on day 7/8 shallow feature produced less of a mild sector, or the pattern to back west ward slightly.

as with all output some change will benefit other areas more than others

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
1 minute ago, frosty ground said:

image.thumb.png.a2c8c99e069b93403dae177e9277043e.png

06z run out to 114 and nothing much has changed as you would expect.

think we can safely say by day 6/7 the second lot of artic air will arrive.

need to watch the low pressure as it develops moving south on day 7/8 shallow feature produced less of a mild sector, or the pattern to back west ward slightly.

as with all output some change will benefit other areas more than others

Polar heights looking stronger again than the 0z, hopefully will lead to the Vortex being pushed further South later on in the run

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Cut off high? No, like the run though.

IMG_0919.png

IMG_0920.png

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

The 6z at day 6 is much cleaner around Greenland, *should* be a good run coming up

image.thumb.png.507873ae43bd3d5b981a9570a1812324.png

• Like 2

Posted

image.thumb.png.4cd4580e3714329887dfdf944f28b695.png
on this run we have a feature developing over Iceland that has help shift the pattern west slightly, could have a knock on affect latter on with the next parcel of energy that spills out of Greenland.

also bring into play the low to the south west potentially a large snow machine if conditions support it

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
37 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

06_15_ukpreciptype.png

First time I've seen the ppn reach as far as the West Country / South Wales. Fully expecting the showers to fizzle out before then but maybe not 🤞

• Like 1