Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

The op is clearly wrong - just await the ENS to come out 👌

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
6 minutes ago, Mr snowman 2018 said:

It’s not negative at all I’ve been following charts for 15 years and I know where this is going we all get our hopes up every single year every time we see decent outputs but it gets watered down and eventually we get nothing we haven’t had anything significant UK wide since  2018 and I can’t see that changing either 

Completely agree with you I’ve stated that several times before that everything seems to get watered down more often than not.  But being constructive moving forwards, I would really like to see the amount of times these charts have gone wrong fed into a system That could potentially improve accuracy or reduce the amount of times this happens. I don’t just mean because people like myself want to see some cold and snow. I mean from an interested point of perspective whether it’s rain heat thunderstorms snow if there could be a way to identify when something was forecast did not happen what was the outcome and keep feeding those patterns in to system so for long-term benefits I wonder if then the chances and ratios could be increased for accuracy no matter what the weather is

I know it’s becoming extremely difficult to forecast the weather as with Arctic high-pressure systems in a mess and on a day-to-day basis seems to be difficult to forecast what’s going on up there also combined with a warmer sea temperature than normal and also the fact of subtropical, high-pressure belt slightly further north and also expanding and strengthening Hadley Cell. 
weather pattern seem to be slightly more clearcut years ago, whereas now everything does seem to be in much more of a mess, so if they could start feeding in to a system all the predictions all of the outcomes to then improve pressure charts, moving forward.

I would also like to see if there’s a possible way to track underwater volcanic activity and also the continuous streaming of underwater vents. these release fast amounts of heat and they have to also play apart in Ocean temperatures so I wonder if there’s a way to integrate this information as the sea temperatures also affect the weather conditions and weather systems. 

Just an idea. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

GFS 06z not an entirely satisfactory run although somewhat better than the dreadful 00z & at least hinig at a Scandi High

GFSOPEU06_276_1-1.thumb.png.3fe617a63345ef04ff0b077c1fec6532.png

• Like 1

Posted

The net weather model thread when a model(especially the GFS) is showing a 'poor' run.

"GFS is clueless" "GFS is a joke" "GFS is a cannon fodder model".

Always the same, I will say I think the cold reaching the whole of the UK is looking sketchy now, its what I said yesterday that there's still a chance the northerly could be quite tame. I think we got to accept it's very unlikely we are going too see a very strong Arctic blast and the trend of blocking receding is a concern. 

Still all runs do show some cold air making it way southwards from the 15th which is what has been consistent with but the uncertainty how cold and how far south that cold gets remains. Hoping for a bit more positive 12Z runs but would not surprise me if it goes the other way either. 

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The Pacific Heights are changing the pattern from D8, with the axis of cold moving from N-S to E-W over the pole, so guess who is in for a cold spell on the 06z, D8-12:

animhxz7.gif animphg8.gif

That is clearly something that could easily change.

• Insightful 1

Posted

What has been startling is the loss of oomph from the cold from the north.

It did seem nailed on there would be an artic sweep well through the country, now at best we are relying on developments to the south to dictate what happens.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

The net weather model thread when a model(especially the GFS) is showing a 'poor' run.

"GFS is clueless" "GFS is a joke" "GFS is a cannon fodder model".

Always the same, I will say I think the cold reaching the whole of the UK is looking sketchy now, its what I said yesterday that there's still a chance the northerly could be quite tame. I think we got to accept it's very unlikely we are going too see a very strong Arctic blast and the trend of blocking receding is a concern. 

Still all runs do show some cold air making it way southwards from the 15th which is what has been consistent with but the uncertainty how cold and how far south that cold gets remains. Hoping for a bit more positive 12Z runs but would not surprise me if it goes the other way either. 

At day 7 the UKMO and ECM have this - granted the cold 850s aren’t sinking into Spain but it’s a strong signal - the GFS Op has been an outlier on numerous occasions. The METO are saying it could be a cold few weeks - I don’t think saying the GFS Op is clueless is far from the truth at all. 

Granted - we need upgrades on the 12zs and can’t afford the signal to keep weakening for a more lengthy cold outbreak. 

IMG_2560.png

IMG_2555.png

IMG_2551.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Arpege with the solid block into Greenland and consistent with it's previous run 👌

arpegenh-0-102 (16).png

But, it’s after that where it all goes wrong. 

Posted

Yikes, been busy for a day or so and come back to extremely disappointing output, for my location anyway, the HLB is no more… looks like there is signs in the longer range of the vortex reforming over Canada as well, feels like a missed chance for a proper cold spell, albeit there could be some decent snow events for some before a quick melt.

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

The op is clearly wrong - just await the ENS to come out 👌

The OP is not "wrong" it is a model based on data inputs , therefore it isn't wrong, it just shows a different outcome to what you are hoping for expecting and also differs from other model runs

Edited by James Maidstone
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
Just now, James Maidstone said:

The OP is not "wrong" it is a model based on data inputs and computer power, therefore it isn't wrong, it just shows a different outcome to what you are hoping for expecting and also differs from other model runs

If it’s the UKMO and ECM vs the GFS - and the GFS is the worst (for coldies) then people should be confident that it hasn’t got the modelling quite right - we shall see though 👀

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Unfortunately, the GFS control is going the same way as the op at day 6

image.thumb.png.acd53f666002b9a38695ab3dc7aaabf8.png

The mean is also indicating a strengthening signal for the same compared to the 0z (although the difference is only slight).

image.thumb.png.6f897dff007bb0bed23708a733086cfd.png image.thumb.png.7c790dddc26001c38a54fb3d8f6c6a25.png

That's enough for me now, let's hope the GFS is being useless. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
15 minutes ago, IDO said:

The Pacific Heights are changing the pattern from D8, with the axis of cold moving from N-S to E-W over the pole, so guess who is in for a cold spell on the 06z, D8-12:

animhxz7.gif animphg8.gif

That is clearly something that could easily change.

IDO..

I think you have hit the nail on the head with that jpg.

Going back to  the weekend when the ECMWF was having a wobble I produced  post which showed that it was the Pacific grossly inflated and rounded high that had thrown a spanner in its works. It caused all the Vortex to move back from Siberia to Greenland for a few runs. I put it down to strat warming.

The GFS now seems to have come across the same requirement  - with exactly the same results.

The question is - what is causing the models to think that the Aleutian high is going to happen?

Everything seems to follow on from that movement.. To fit it in,     everything else  moves around. 

It would appear that it does not know how to fit it in as it 'jumbles' from run to run. 

The net result appears to be chaos. Could it be that it too is picking up on the current strat warming? and that is what is causing the model chaos.

I am convinced that this is what is throwing the model.

MIA

MIA.

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

If some of the recent runs are modelling low pressure systems from the west , the rain is certainly not welcome in the worst affected flooded areas, and will not help the 100+ Flood warnings in force.

Posted

The most significant change in the GFS mean that I have spotted is the squeezing of the Greenland block and the PV spill of colder airmass into North America. The latter usually creates a westerly -NAO, hence why that colder push from the north into Ireland/UK is less impactful and longlasting. It is in keeping somewhat with the UKMO's idea of a battleground scenario for UK/Ireland.

The same pattern is not as obvious in the UKMO and ECM until later next week while the GFS sets up such a scenario from early doors. Just an observation rather than a forecast. Forgive my rudimentary arrows.

Plastic.jpg

Edited by WolfeEire
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
9 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

At day 7 the UKMO and ECM have this - granted the cold 850s aren’t sinking into Spain but it’s a strong signal - the GFS Op has been an outlier on numerous occasions. The METO are saying it could be a cold few weeks - I don’t think saying the GFS Op is clueless is far from the truth at all. 

Granted - we need upgrades on the 12zs and can’t afford the signal to keep weakening for a more lengthy cold outbreak. 

IMG_2560.png

IMG_2555.png

IMG_2551.png

Looks fantastic to me

• Like 1

Posted

Which cold are people looking for to reach the UK!? 

It’s cold now! 

Always hunting for narnia! 

• Like 2

Posted

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask but does anyone know if there’s access to GEFS ensemble archives? I’m Interested to see how they behaved at same sort of timescales with a similar pattern.

TIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

Hopefully the GFS is very wrong, but I do feel it’s latched onto things before ECM this winter, always feel like ECM is a step or two behind and always playing catchup.