Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
Posted (edited)

Summer8906 it’s no sunnier here, not a chink of brightness. Unsurprisingly under the lower pressure any sunny spells are rapidly convectively infilling. Will be the same for days to come. 

Edited by Alderc 2.0

Posted

Today is a better day than expected here with just 0.2mm of rain so far. The forecast suggested it would be quite heavy.

Its the first rain for 11 days and we're only on 9.2mm for the month.

The first 13 days of the month managed 98.4 hours of sunshine and is running +3.3C above average. Not a bad start really.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
Posted (edited)

Alderc 2.0 Interestingly I found this morning much more oppressive and sticky than the fine and much warmer weather we had at the weekend.

Those sort of annoying conditions which feel cool and clammy if you're standing still exposed to the wind, but humid and sticky as soon as you start walking at any speed.

A sure sign that discomfort is as much a function of DP and humidity as it is temperature.

Overseas, I've known fresher days with 29C maxima!

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

danm totally agree about skepticism of apps. I’m more commenting on this experiment the Met are doing and the wide variance within it. If it leads ultimately to an app that can be in some way relied on, I’d be happy with that.

• Like 2

Posted
Posted (edited)

Ended up with 27mm yesterday taking us to the monthly average for the May. So it’s now clear that May will either end up in the wet or very wet category here given the forecast. Could even be one of the wettest on record locally given outlook. 

Edited by Alderc 2.0
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons
Posted (edited)

Looking at models the low will move south over France. Reminds me of Summer 2021 actually with lows over continental Western Europe and a high over northern UK. A funny set up where you could get better weather in the Scottish Highlands than in Paris or Bordeaux. 

Edited by Catbrainz
typo
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Alderc 2.0  Pattern will change soon though eh 😉

Catbrainz Not that funny when it happens twice in 4 years! That's a 50% success rate haha

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme, Aurora, Lightning

Bristawl Si when i was in canaries last we got DANA!  
Has it been stormy since i left? 

Summer8906 yes, i love winter sun locations as it’s a really pleasant dry heat, even feel comfortable in longs at 25C 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

quite a bit dryer than anticipated. it was forecast the rain belt would move in which i did start to question as it moved so slowly. instead just gave very patchy bits of light rain so i don't think it ended up a wet day at all. fairly muggy due to the light rain and cloud but nothing too unpleasant.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

Considering that today is supposed to be the cooler and wetter of this week, it's still feeling mild and there's not much rain to speak of.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
Posted (edited)

LetItSnow! Interesting how it weakened so much between Hampshire and London; obviously here is more exposed to southwesterlies but even still, that's a huge difference. It was prolonged and increasingly heavy here; more like a spell of rain in late summer or autumn rather than spring. I guess unseasonably high SSTs are to blame, so we're getting August-like weather (in some ways) in May.

raz.org.rain I think it's relatively cool but feels mild - even sticky - due to the high moisture content of the air.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted

Fen Wolf no. Just a bit cloudy today, but feels warm at 23c. We can see Lanzarote from 'ours' and normally one can see a 'clearance' coming from its direction. Sun's poking through now and feels warm.

I only changed my location in my profile as we're here for 10 days; we dont actually live here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme, Aurora, Lightning

Bristawl Si ah ok, sounds nice though, hopefully will visit the canaries in the winter again, as it breaks up our uk winter.  🥶 

I have done the ferry a few times from corralejo to lanzarote and was interesting, especially when a tsunami sized wave towers above the boat haha.  

Enjoy the sun mate 🙂☀️

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

models are looking pretty grim for my location for the next 10 days cool cloudy and damp sums it up today at 19c is the warmest day ..the rest anywhere between 9c-14c as highs

Posted

Back to gloomy and grey here but at least not too cold

i seem to have gone and got covid again so I don’t really care tbf 

• Like 3

Posted

Fen Wolf I've felt chilly at 24C, and really cold at 20C, in certain Mediterranean locations in summer after becoming habituated to 30-32C days and 25-27C evenings!

cheeky_monkey Welcome to normal 2024 UK weather! 😉

• Like 1

Posted

Summer8906 UK doesn't have snow in the forecast though 

Posted

cheeky_monkey Ah ok, fair enough, I was looking at the 9-14 and cloudy and damp: that summarises the UK weather of 2024 (prior to the recent warm spell) up quite nicely!

Fairly like that today, too, though probably slightly milder than 14.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Fen Wolf I’ve just been in Marbella for 6 days last week… that coastline, particularly the more west you go, is a very pleasant heat even in the height of summer. Strong sun, but often with a sea breeze, 28-32°C by day but often below 20°C overnight, unlike most Mediterranean places.

• Like 2

Posted

Summer8906 i think i was spoilt by last May ...where we finished with a mean value of 17.2c and an average daily high of 24.5c 

• Like 1

Posted

Normal service resumed here with rain on and off all day although it isn't cold. The BBC have rain every day for the next 10 days however the met office is more optimistic. I think I'll go with them!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

marky810 the BBC basically show the worst weather at any point in the day as the headline symbol. An hour of showers at 3pm, but the rest of the day sunny spells and dry? It'll show showers. When you click into the symbols on the Met Office app for days where it shows a sunny spells symbol, there is also a risk of showers at certain points in the day.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

SunnyG haha so true. Skeptical, moaning Brits. Sounds about right!