Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Isha, Amber ⚠️

Posted

Latest ukv!this is severe!90 mph gusts on myself and widespread 80mph gusts inland.this would cause havoc.

Screenshot_20240118-183300.png

Screenshot_20240118-183302.png

Screenshot_20240118-183306.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

As above, interesting thing about the 15z UKV is that it brings a spell of 60mph+ gusts of winds to pretty much everyone at some point Sunday night.  Firstly Ireland, Wales & the SW;

IMG_0825.thumb.png.59ea690647caeca1dbb67758599f97ce.png

Then Wales, into the Midlands and Northern England;

IMG_0826.thumb.png.647089ce9d07f3cacc862575f3fadc9f.png

Then into Southern Scotland and Northern Ireland, along with the borders;

IMG_0824.thumb.png.bc6af27751d131faa200f387509d47e3.png

That’s not to say others escape either, the SE and all of Eastern England will see damaging gusts based on this model too.  One saving grace which will help mitigate impacts is that it’s happening overnight at least, when many of us are tucked up in our beds or binge watching Netflix with a box of Jaffa Cakes!

Edited by AWD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Sunday night could be rather noisy for many and we could wake up with a lot of fallen branches and a few tree's as well. There are two positives that possibly will mitigate the damage done by this system 1) The worst of it is predicted to be in the night when most people are in their houses asleep or doing whatever and 2)  There are no leaves on the tree's so that makes them less likely to fall over. Time will tell how severe this will end up being.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

It looks a bit further north, or at least it doesn't lose intensity as quickly as it moves NE. Strange the BBC and met are still decreasing their predicted wind speeds for me (central belt). Currently maxing out under 50 mph but the models are suggesting 65-70 mph.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Still not named by the Met I reckon we should do it here. Live updates by members as well.

Posted
16 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Still not named by the Met I reckon we should do it here. Live updates by members as well.

Probably will be named tomorrow 

Posted

No need for me to post the 15z UKV as others have already done so. I'd have thought this would be amber-worthy across a good swathe of the country, even if you allow for a slight downgrade which we often see with these sort of things. Don't see how we avoid widespread gusts into the 70-80 mph range, which is usually enough to trigger an amber.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The UKV for here has been consistently showing higher wind gust values than all previous storms - beginning of January, December and November. The duration of those stronger winds is much longer too.

• Like 1

Posted

Normally we’d be expecting for the models to downgrade the wind gusts as we get closer to the event, however they’ve been constantly pushing higher wind gusts and aren’t backing down. 

Amber wind warning incoming? 

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

Amber wind warning incoming? 

Possibly red for a few areas. It's going to be a couple of days of strong winds afterwards too.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Rocheydub said:

Possibly red for a few areas. It's going to be a couple of days of strong winds afterwards too.

Which sort of areas you thinking of? Coastal?

Posted

Watching the models, I had a feeling this was creeping up on us a bit without much notice. Hopefully it'll be downgraded as we get closer to the time as this could be quite damaging.

• Like 1

Posted

The forecast wind gusts and potentially worst affected areas are reminding me of Storm Darwin from 12th February 2014. Does anyone have any charts from that to compare?

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Tommytomtom said:

Which sort of areas you thinking of? Coastal?

Yes, they always get the brunt of the 'uninterrupted' winds. Some of the speeds shown on that UKV are certainly worthy of considering red. That said, it's still only a prediction. Warnings will start to appear on Met Eireann by tomorrow evening I'd say if confidence grows!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany

If the forecasts are about correct for what actually happens then this will have a high impact across inland and lowland areas in the south east as they only rarely see these sort of wind speeds.  Overhead line pickup railways always fair badly  - especially in built up areas -  as rubbish that is lying around like plastic sheeting gets wrapped around the wires.  Certainly on the rail line from here to London there is 10 miles or so where it passes through industrial and suburban north London where the trackside contains a constant stream of rubbish, fences are dilapidated and so forth.   

As the MO include impact in their warning system rather than just weather conditions I would expect an Amber warning for the south east at some point.

• Like 1

Posted

18z GFS and all that, but this is a chart that we don’t see often - 80 mph for inland areas.

image.thumb.gif.1781bedd71b220ff94623f58a79670bf.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, wind storms, thunderstorms

Hoping for upgrades love a good windstorm! And before anyone tries the usual guilt tripping, this a forum for weather enthusiasts who love severe weather!

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, ColdWeatherAndBeer said:

Hoping for upgrades love a good windstorm! And before anyone tries the usual guilt tripping, this a forum for weather enthusiasts who love severe weather!

I only like wind when big jet tv gets to heathrow but no thanks already had next doors fence fall into our garden last time hours after the worst winds already passed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Yep, have repaired my roof twice in the last 3 years because of wind! And no. not from my curry consumption!

I love freak weather and watching the build up to it, but I'd prefer watching it on the coastline than watching it strip my roof, and I live in east Ireland, where we usually don't get the brunt of it all!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, wind storms, thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Rocheydub said:

Yep, have repaired my roof twice in the last 3 years because of wind! And no. not from my curry consumption!

I love freak weather and watching the build up to it, but I'd prefer watching it on the coastline than watching it strip my roof, and I live in east Ireland, where we usually don't get the brunt of it all!

The weather will do what it wants 

Posted
13 minutes ago, ColdWeatherAndBeer said:

The weather will do what it wants 

But I feel we've seen a lot of it lately.

Heathrow 69mph during the previous London impacting storm, that is a very rare thing here. Not saying this Sundays will get to that but looking at the numbers it will get close to this number. We are used to 50mph storms but something almost 70mph is something that was very rare.

Posted
46 minutes ago, Richard Fisher said:

No real concern shown on latest BBC1 22:30 live broadcast just mentioned Windy for Sunday. 

They never do its meteo group. No longer the met office