Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.

Alderc 2.0 it's only towards the end of the GFS 12Z run that the northern blocking relinquishes its grip.   We need the jet stream to be on our side, bottom line of it all.   

image.thumb.png.a5af59680bfdfb3911500c25bcda0e03.png

• Like 1

Posted

Addicks Fan 1981 off course, but even then as the chart you posted shows even with northerly blocking reducing it doesn’t mean decent weather for us, lowish pressure, cloud and fronts coming down from the north west. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

Saturday is at day 5 now, and the models are homing in on a forecast that looks very "May" - fairly warm, some sunshine, some showers, better further north?

image.thumb.png.0dfc488c131566bb7350ff16f1b05776.pngimage.thumb.png.fb474d18478708db2dc86b56cb7f17de.pngimage.thumb.png.9c460095febe357a88e3468f3eb96f17.png

Come Monday, it seems we might be having some difficulty shaking off that upper-level low, and there might be another disturbance starting to approach us from the west (or even south of west) around that time:

image.thumb.png.b6a2fdc49759830ff15c011852815a6e.pngimage.thumb.png.99480cf7f0cf42f72db9f20a30103b24.pngimage.thumb.png.84e5a6a68944dfd65c8ae03e5085c51e.png

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted

MattStoke Yeah I was aware of that, but my point is that the GFS still 'flipped' in the sense that the true max in that scenario would have been perhaps a degree or two higher, maybe 41-42C, but certainly not 43-44C. And definitely not 48C in northern France!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Ah, I see most of the models are showing garbage weather just in time for my week off next week! Yaaaaay! 🤬😭🤬😭

Someone give me a few rays of hope??

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.

WYorksWeather back to the here and now.  What to the ensemble mean runs indicate, and what does the UKV indicate?

Posted
Posted (edited)

Rather than looking so much at individual runs, I think the overall pattern from the GFS ensemble tonight is pretty instructive. Picking Leeds as an example, but the general trend is the same in a lot of places:

gfs-leeds-gb-54n-15w(9).thumb.png.7e5b564d6e2454df9c8251c65ddfa154.pnggfs-leeds-gb-54n-15w(10).thumb.png.407dad8436fa152332463c659eaeace2.pnggfs-leeds-gb-54n-15w(11).thumb.png.22979a006d4f7e58f8db135354e3c196.png 

Above average 850hPa temperatures likely for the next 10 days (too much scatter beyond that, but if anything warm outliers increase towards the end). Above average temperatures by day (when adding usual 1-2C for GFS under-reading) and significantly above average by night. Pressure recovering to average or above average after a dip early this week.

Overall based on these charts I'd be favouring a warm end to May, and probably increasingly settled again. Difficult to call whether it will be changeable from day-to-day or whether we will see a more long-lasting area of high pressure before month's end. But nothing suggests to me that the medium term outlook is poor. And even the next few days will not be universally poor everywhere.

Edited by WYorksWeather
Deleted the random ECM cluster chart from last night.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons
Posted (edited)

SunSean From what models are showing it appears to be more a convective slack medium pressure area (If there's such a thing for pressure between say 1000-1015mb) rather than a Atlantic low carpet bombing run. Not a expert but I would guess a mix of showery weather with some sunnier and warmer spells mixed in. 

Edited by Catbrainz
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 2

Posted

Alderc 2.0 Don't want to derail the thread with this so will be my last reply on this point (happy to discuss elsewhere though).

I think you might have misunderstood my comment - the point I was making was that a significant number of pro forecasters stated in debates at the time that those temperatures were fundamentally impossible because of a flaw in the GFS. I wasn't suggesting that the GFS didn't show those temperatures, but that they couldn't quite have corresponded to reality. 41-42C might have been possible for the UK, but not 44C.

I don't want to get hit with a moderation stick - this is potentially moving off direct model discussion around UKV vs. GFS and more of a retrospective of July 2022. Happy to carry on this conversation but not in this thread 😃.

• Like 2

Posted
Posted (edited)

Comment on the GFS 12z but not the ECM 12z probably because it shows a stubborn deep trough anchored over the UK at day 10 with only brief reprieve at the 6-7 day range, also extensive blocking to the NW. Yes just one op run, but if verified can't see an easy to path a predominantly warm settled end to May. All looks very slack airstream/trough influenced, warm and unsettled to me.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 4

Posted

damianslaw I didn't comment on the ECM 12z yet because the ensemble hasn't finished rolling out yet. Not much point commenting on it if it's amongst the worst/best in the suite for settled weather.

We do have the clusters though.

All 3 look reasonably settled at days 5-7, especially further north.

image.thumb.png.7de4100ef1c09e85742212a9d4680901.png

At days 8-10, cluster 1 looks mixed, 2 is generally settled, 3 is generally unsettled.

image.thumb.png.e8fb10850f746782eaf995b5e4ed32a3.png

In short we have a settled interlude looking fairly likely at day 5-7 especially further north, and 8-10 just a lot of uncertainty.

• Like 6

Posted

GFS and ECM look like remaining low pressure dominated until D10, unsurprisingly a trough hanging around longer than initially expected. 

Posted

Lots of Shannon entropy right now.

EC looks OK with sunshine and showers and looks to be heading in a much more desirable outcome by day 10..

Yesterday 12z 

image.thumb.png.5e944290ef3aa6646d5db0cac27524ba.png

this morning day 9

image.thumb.png.0e5d1fc08368f151c75bfbfaac0ff023.png

by day 10  on this mornings 00z run 

image.thumb.png.5a0d55b2f51f8c7a9e2d0dc267318a4c.png

• Like 6

Posted

It should be noted last nights ec46 was not pleasant viewing so here's hoping the overnight data is a change of direction..

• Like 1

Posted
Posted (edited)

Alderc 2.0  Pressure looks average rather than low for most of the country. Given the average pressure at sea level is 1013 mb I think it's misleading to call it 'low pressure' over the next week or so.

Especially given the air mass is not at all like what we've had a lot of over the last few months and with an easterly flow there may not be a lot of rain at all. Probably sunshine and some showers and some areas will remain dry on some days.

northwestsnow Good job it's almost never accurate.

Edited by Scorcher
  • Like 8

Posted

Have to say I’m surprised by the level of optimism here, each of the last 4 GFS runs have had widespread accumulated rf totals of 40-80mm over almost the entirety of E+W, ECM slightly less but still notable given we’re in one of the driest months of the year. Conditions look very meh, and considering recent history will do little to dry the ground out and nothing to usher a proper warming trend. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Rain All Night said:

0z ensemble means, out to Tue 28 May (day 15)

Interestingly, the models have shifted back towards some of the more positive solutions for the coming weekend and beyond.

The ECM ensemble mean in particular suggests warm air kicked up over the UK by low pressure to our west from next week.

animopl6.gifanimtzv5.gifanimkni3.gif

0z deterministic runs, on Mon 20 May (day 7)

Really interesting seeing all these frames this morning, as this wasn't the way I thought the situation was trending. Half the models have a little pocket of heights to the north of Britain by Monday, and the other half have the heights nosing in from the southwest instead.

image.thumb.png.1513852375cd8c69e7c1c1d7a9fc4db6.pngimage.thumb.png.25397deed607e2ca818d8f52c2c8912d.pngimage.thumb.png.51881d6ed9bd457b093237d0ead862d4.png 
image.thumb.png.04df2ce4e5c329a7d7e93bc1fff11071.pngimage.thumb.png.bfdda3f5d0e40779f46d3192a10a2ce5.pngimage.thumb.png.b89caef4def7498dc86ea8b48f8caf03.png

0z ensemble means, out to Wed 29 May (day 15)

The weekend looks as though it should improve for most of us as it progresses.

ECM is suggesting a new disturbance or trough diving into us around the middle of next week, GEFS is less keen and even suggests ridging over the UK later on.

animkrh8.gifanimrdy7.gifanimozn7.gif

0z deterministic runs, on Tue 21 May (day 7)

The upper-level low is still there to our south by Tuesday.

ECM is showing most clearly a disturbance coming in from our WSW, which potentially could merge with that upper low.

image.thumb.png.0b2b092c5b7e7ce5cf9881e3a140b8a8.pngimage.thumb.png.77a527a3811fd875841c827b9df99233.pngimage.thumb.png.dce36b045055efade1e1e5168ed04243.png

Edited by Rain All Night
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Mentioned the other day about a low anomaly to our south west and highs over Europe. 

GFS keen on this again in FI on the 6z, and is the solution I'd bet on for the latter part of the month. 

Backed by ECM Hov-moller from last night again, very consistent with the forecasts. A wet spell looking even more unlikely this morning, mainly showers for the vast majority and generally these overnight. 

ps2png-worker-commands-6b8fdb7bd8-g4prp-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-DG7WN3.thumb.png.f886d5cee4852aa9cfda22dc323b0282.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, the very hot and the very cold.

Alderc 2.0 nice temperatures though, Alderc. 

• Like 2