Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
23 minutes ago, raz.org.rain said:

The model thread is a rather frustrating read tonight. Really getting the impression that some will ignore the data if it doesn't show what they want to see, so they pursue a fantasy scenario that's very unlikely to verify.

Stick to the model discussion highlights thread.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
41 minutes ago, raz.org.rain said:

The model thread is a rather frustrating read tonight. Really getting the impression that some will ignore the data if it doesn't show what they want to see, so they pursue a fantasy scenario that's very unlikely to verify.

Why don't you engage in the model thread and offer your 'constructive' observations of what the models currently offer, rather than 'hiding' in this thread constantly criticising those whom take the time and effort to contribute? What are you afraid of? 

Edited by Wold Topper
  • Like 2

Posted

Nothing cold, or even cool showing out to the 22nd on the GFS ensembles, could be the first winter for a while, without seeing a single falling snowflake.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Oh what deeply unenjoyable weather! Overcast, constant cold rain, saturated ground, windy, neither cold nor warm... textbook British weather. The question is how long this pattern of garbage will last? Only 2 months of the last 18 in my area have had under 50mm of rain, 1 of them only just at 37mm lol. 

Nothing other than a pattern of mainly dry & sunny will do from March onwards. Utterly bored of the constant downpours from above. My dog thinks this weather is a crock of sheet too.

• Like 4

Posted

Epic fail on the snow forecast for today.

Seems short term modelling is just as bad as long term.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

If you want to see snow and like me just have rain this link is a good one for snow, the Winking Man already has blowing snow

WWW.JAMESGPHOTOGRAPHY.CO.UK

A collection of Peak District webcams highlighting current weather and road conditions. Useful for planning photography trips in the Peak District.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and Snowy Days

Oh what's that in the sky??...... More chuffing rain!!

Boring, dank, dark and wet. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Atleastitwillbemild problem with stats is that they mask reality. Stats suggest we had an average summer last year, but that comprised an outstanding June and a terrible July. Had both been ‘good’, the reality would’ve been much better.

• Like 1

Posted

revolting out there.

Only 3 weeks of Winter left though.

On the whole I think it's been a fairly decent Winter. We had some decent cold snaps and I even saw snow falling once. I don't know what the fuss is about.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Looking across most of the threads i think fatigue and poor output and weather as caused a lot of disappointment this winter. Early signs were looking good but things have for most been bang average. Imo i cant see anything even with a ssw. Its currently snowing heavy here but will be gone this evening. Heres hoping for one last hurrah in feb 🙏🙏🙏

Posted

On a positive note, I feel very lucky of being in the South East where temps are staying mild, in double digits.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

Could we be looking at one of the dullest first halves of February on record in some areas?

The 1st was sunny, the 2nd had a bit of sun in the middle of the day and then since then it's been more or less continuously sunless.

Another feature about this month is how, so far, each day has been worse than the last (aside from Monday which was a little better than Sunday).

The coming days look even worse with Saturday and Monday in particular looking simply atrocious and Friday and Sunday also looking very poor. Not even slightly cold here, either, so a real risk of spring flowers coming out early in this spectacularly dull and damp month, spoiling real spring in a few weeks' time.

Was the weekend supposed to be sunny and cold at one point? Sure I remember seeing a forecast suggesting this.

Looks like the sun will come back on Wednesday, perhaps, for one day, before drizzly SW-lies return next Thursday. Then it trends anticyclonic but unclear at this stage whether it'll be cold or mild, bright or dull.

In my view, a pretty dire winter, easily the worst since 19/20. Very dull, mild and damp aside from that two-week period in January. A poor summer, a poor autumn and a poor winter. And could we be looking now at eight consecutive wet months?

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

SunnyG If that's a good thing. I'd say it's a bad thing as it risks spoiling spring flowering. Last thing we want is the daffodils appearing now when it's dull, dark and wet - rather than March when (hopefully) it'll be a little bit brighter and drier.

I'd much prefer 5C and it to be properly light at 5pm (which is now possible, as of earlier this week) rather than 12C and oppressively gloomy and twilight-ish at that time.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Summer8906 well let’s see what happens, the forecast what you mentioned may well be wrong 😊

swfc just like it did here in the 1970s bit of snow immediate thaw . Awful decade for snow here 

• Like 2

Posted

mountain shadow yes shockingly bad forecast. Schools here closed yesterday due to the amber warning of snow and we’ve not even had sleet. Rain all day. Snow line on the mountains is some 2500ft now. Some mountains have no snow at all. Mild air pushed much further North. Bare in mind this was one of the places touted for 20-25cm 

• Like 2

Posted

Current update on BBC 

Is the forecast going to plan?

Matt Taylor

BBC Weather

Today was always going to be a fine balance between rain and potentially very heavy snowfall in some areas.

I mentioned earlier that the intensity of the precipitation could be crucial. We are now seeing the intensity pick up in north Wales and the north-west Midlands. This is turning more of what was falling as rain to snow.

As that higher intensity area moves north, snowfall will become heavier on the hills of north Wales, the Peak District and Pennines over the coming hours, before turning back to rain. It could also mean some lower lying areas will see a bit more snow, mixed in with the rain, at times.

Even ahead of that, we are now seeing the forecast snow start to arrive more widely on the north Pennines and Northern Ireland.

The Met Office yellow warning for snow in southern Scotland now has an earlier start time of midday, indicating that things are progressing a little quicker than expected earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

SunnyG that’s the way society has become. We are all becoming wussies because we have a nanny state. In my day we walked to school in deep snow. Nowadays they close schools even when the snow doesn’t fall . It’s laughable but very sad the way things are going 😞

• Like 4