Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

Had our snow fix today here in South Yorkshire, hours of heavy Snow giving a good covering even at low level locations, must have been a complete whiteout higher up. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, Summer8906 said:

I'd likely rate the first half of Feb 2/10 too, not quite as dire as 2020 but running that year a close second

By this point in Feb 2020, I'd registered two air frosts and 38 hours of sunshine. So this Feb is far worse so far. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
40 minutes ago, Paul White. said:

I am sorry that looks bleak

Very bleak indeed, it is what it is lol

• Like 1

Posted

andy989 They should apologize. It's their job to get it as close to right as possible. At least don't give the stupid warnings if you know the forecast is liable to be 100% wrong.

Posted
Just now, blizzard81 said:

When I see such a huge difference for the better at 6 days out I get visions of Darren Bett being dragged off the levers of the model controls. 

Mr mild!blizzard haha

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
33 minutes ago, SunnyG said:

They should apologize. It's their job to get it as close to right as possible. At least don't give the stupid warnings if you know the forecast is liable to be 100% wrong.

What utter nonsense

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Loved a proper Winters day at last, though i did a few odd looks walking to sites in the snow in shorts, some folk are so odd.....😲

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Bristawl Si Affecting spring flowering by making it earlier than it should be. Already plum blossom coming out here and daffodils not far from being fully out. Plum blossom and daffodils are more normally in March, whereas now we're barely out of January. If they appear now, it will detract from the enjoyment of March as they'll be past their best. Then we'll get April flowers appearing in March, and May flowers appearing in April - and by May there'll be little left to bloom.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

MP-R I'm thinking we haven't yet had anything comparable with Storms Ciara and Dennis, plus the first 6 days of this month was mostly drizzle rather than heavy rain - so in that respect 2020 was worse. I don't recall any frosts at all in Feb 2020 though it was less obscenely mild than this month.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

Summer8906 hopefully there's no cold snap coming to kill off the early flowering. A bit of a chase for cold kicking off tonight, although I'm not sure on what the likelihood of mild or cold is now.

• Like 2

Posted

raz.org.rain On the other hand a cold snap would slow down the remainder of the flowering so that the flowers appear when they should, rather than a month early. IMO a cold snap would not only allow us to enjoy what's left of winter, but would also enhance our enjoyment of spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

cheese I agree that maritime climates like the UK are boring/dreary in general. We used to get much more variety though. I’m not talking about extremes, more a ‘day-to-day’ sense. Long periods of the same weather type were usually less common and there was more variability. The current lack of snow I understand, as our climate warms. But where have all the summer thunderstorms gone? Days of decent convection interspersed with sunshine used to occur frequently in all seasons. It used to be the case that if you didn’t like a particular weather type, you just had to wait a few days. That’s just an observation from my 40 years of weather-watching, though. Others may disagree 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

SunnyG

What about the Devonshire farmers who lost lots of sheep during the January 1968 blizzard, eh?

Warnings are precautionary, that's all; they are not guarantees of x-cm of snow in anyone's back garden! 😲

• Like 4

Posted
21 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I agree that maritime climates like the UK are boring/dreary in general. We used to get much more variety though. I’m not talking about extremes, more a ‘day-to-day’ sense. Long periods of the same weather type were usually less common and there was more variability. The current lack of snow I understand, as our climate warms. But where have all the summer thunderstorms gone? Days of decent convection interspersed with sunshine used to occur frequently in all seasons. It used to be the case that if you didn’t like a particular weather type, you just had to wait a few days. That’s just an observation from my 40 years of weather-watching, though. Others may disagree 

The thing about the post-2015 climate is that it's boring and dreary at just about all seasons of the year. We fairly reliably get two decent months in the spring and early summer period (March-June) and the other 10 months are generally just boring, drab and dreary most years (2022 was a recent exception with decent conditions for much of Jan-Aug).

I think I said this in an earlier post, but while the summers of 1979-87 were often disappointing, the winters were often great. And while the winters of 1989-2006 were frequently drab, the summers were often great. 2009-2013 summers were comparable with the recent era (mostly poor, good in one case) but again, like the 80s we had some good winters.

In the last few years the form-horse has been for both winter and summer (and autumn too, for that matter) to be dull, bland and depressing.

I recognise that SW-lies are frequent in any case, but I get the impression that in the last few years we are getting anomalously southwesterly conditions across much of Europe, i.e. more SW-ly than usual. The same exaggerated SWly setup is leading to more dry periods in central and eastern Europe from what I gather (is it particularly dry in the Czech Republic ATM? Certainly I've heard of droughts in Germany in the past few years) and extreme heat in southern Europe as air from the Sahara invades Mediterranean Europe from the SW.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 4

Posted

Summer8906 hmm....no need to be "increasingly fearful" though.

Daffodils blooming early is hardly a trigger to increase fear😉.

A tad dramatic, me thinks. Nature has ways of balancing things out.

• Like 1

Posted

Bristawl Si people often use the term "fearful" for fairly minor things. Like "fearful of a wet summer", I'm sure I've seen that kind of thing  before.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted

RJBingham gfs been chucking out mild op runs for days,and why you just showing gfs,what about the other models t.ECM looks much colder,in the longer range expect perfect charts for cold and snow as winter ends,thats what normally happens.

the obsession some people have with gfs is mindblowing

Edited by SLEETY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

SunnyG im still unsure why the UK shuts schools because of snow ..here in Edmonton if that was the case they would be shut 6 months of the year..never closed when i was at school 

• Like 2