Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

B87 Yes, again the dullness is the notable part about this April, not the temps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
7 minutes ago, B87 said:

The forecast has plenty of days below 15c, which will help to drop that average though.

Maybe, but you did say that it's only been warm because of the mean so far this month, but we've actually run a little above average for max temps over the first 23 days of the month. Yes, that will likely drop a little as we get to the end of the month, so maybe finishing marginally below average. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

Something funny going on with global SSTs. I'm not expecting a drastic crash to La Niña personally, some have gone as far as to suggest that there'll be no overall cooling post El Niño, which would be the first time that has happened.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

CryoraptorA303 the dullness has been notable every month since I don’t know when  

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 5

Posted

midlandsun We.need a hot long summer to get over the last 13 months and recharge for next Autumn, Autumn and Autumn before the next Summer!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

TwisterGirl81 Since last June!

• Like 3

Posted

MP-R March 2022. That Easterly spell brought sunny days (More hazy then deep blue), and stunning sunsets between the 22nd and 26th. Maybe the air quality and sunset depends on how warm it is (March 19th 2022 didnt even bring a slight wisp of cirrus, but the sunset was somewhat boring)

I just noticed that sunny Easterly (SE, E and NE) days look a lot different compared to sunny Westerlies

Edited by baddie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

*Stormforce~beka* A very dull month, but more a dress rehearsal for July onwards… both May and June had over 250 hours here.

• Like 1

Posted

MP-R It started then here! I didn't see sun again except for 1 week or so in June and then nothing til September!

Posted
35 minutes ago, raz.org.rain said:

have gone as far as to suggest that there'll be no overall cooling post El Niño, which would be the first time that has happened.

These people should be ignored.

Posted

danm  looking at output I think mean maxes in the south will be dragged down quite a bit. GFS doesn’t have temps getting much 10-12C for the next and only 12-15C Monday and Tuesday. Then apart from the 1st nothing above 15C until the 9th which would be incredibly poor. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

looking at output I think mean maxes in the south will be dragged down quite a bit. GFS doesn’t have temps getting much 10-12C for the next and only 12-15C Monday and Tuesday. Then apart from the 1st nothing above 15C until the 9th which would be incredibly poor. 

Yep that' possible. I was more referring to the month so far, which to date has run a little above average. 

Posted

richie3846 yep. Which is highly unusual for me. I abs hate DIY, with a passion😁.

Despite retiring (early) over 7 years ago i've done v little, myself, in terms of jobs inside and outside our gaff. But i got it in my head back end of Winter that during Spring i'm going to do a few things. 2 jobs left outside, regrouting patio and painting the fence. 

Off to Fuerteventura in 2 weeks time,  for 10 days, so whether i finish planned jobs before then ....hmm, we'll see😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

With the outlook looking as awful as it does, is there at least any sign of any convective activity in the models? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

I’m actually going to work out the monthly percentage of sun we’ve received In Exeter monthly since the start of last year because I feel like I’m going nuts and imagining just how bad it’s been or have unrealistic expectations of weather here, brb! 🤓 I’d be interested if others did it for their locations too so we can at least take some comfort that the prolonged dullness is not just in our imaginations and hope for the day when the tide changes to at least something average/fairer because I feel like we have well and truly been dealt the sh*tty end of the stick since last year.

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 2

Posted

On course to be dullest April in 26 years (1998) in London. The east has definitely faired much worse than west. Miserable, nondescript month really. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, cosy and stormy, cold and frosty, some snow

Been in Cornwall since Monday and have to say while not particularly warm or walk to wall sunshine I have managed to get some colour on my skin. It’s felt pleasant enough and quite spring like so I definitely caught the right week to come. All down hill tomorrow though . . . 
As for the outlook - depressing. Utterly depressing. I’ve been broken. I thought that couple of warm days at the weekend might save me and it’s not been as dull as before but here we go again!! 😭😭😭

• Thanks 1

Posted

To highlight Spring sometimes resulting in better weather in the west compared to the east (often due to the increased likelihood of northern blocking at this time of year, and easterly winds that favour the west more than the east), I checked the average sunshine totals for April versus July. 

In April, many western areas average a very similar amount of sunshine to the south and east:

image.thumb.png.12c2661cde778f377ebbac9acbf85700.png

By mid Summer, the south and east averages significantly more sunshine than the north and west:

image.thumb.png.22bb0e9dd56a637a54b7aa26b7b42742.png

You can also see this for Spring as a whole compared to Summer as a whole:

image.thumb.png.49167d1abf255f4fb17fdd719f4410a3.png

image.thumb.png.b06008fe8468b82aaaef2dbb68cd28f5.png

This is largely down to high pressure being far more frequently centred to the north/NW or west of the UK during Spring than at any other time of year, which will always favours sheltered western and NW'ern areas. 

Add in a late season SSW that increases the chances of northern blocking even more, and this pattern probably becomes even more accentuated.

Edited by danm
  • Like 1