Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow & Cold Spell General Chat Part 12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Deelightuk, The heavier part is just knocking on the doorstep of Doncaster now :) I would expect you to start seeing some heavy snow soon.

Posted
I know i'm moaning but I don't care.

Yesterday we were too far north to get settling snow (although 15 miles SW got 5 inches).

Today not only am I too far north, but it would seem judging by the snow in Yorkshire that I am too far south.

Oh well, i'm off to play in the puddles.

Posted
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
I'm just Grateful that this board exists :)

I'll second that. It's great to chat to like minded people. Makes the snow even more exciting!

Posted
:)

It's on top of us mate, i'm about 5 miles from Doncaster and it's hammering it down with snow, i'd give and take an hour before it starts settling.

I didn't realise it was here already! :)

I thought with the reports of heavy snow to the south of us meant that it would be a while yet before it reached us. How long will it last?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

dosnt look like the snow will turn to rain here as according to the radar were nearly out of the snow now! No meltdown!

Posted
woohoo, the weather guy off calender news has just said 2-5cm for lower tonight and 10-15cm on higher ground...(yorkshire)

He then said higher ground meaning 100m! :):D

Sounds nice Jed! fingers crossed mate! :)

Posted
Deelightuk, The heavier part is just knocking on the doorstep of Doncaster now :) I would expect you to start seeing some heavy snow soon.

Thanks for that, I hope we get something substantial from this, its been very much a non event here.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Blimey Sheffield got a mention on the Forecast. That means the snow will stop.

Posted
Sounds nice Jed! fingers crossed mate! :D

yep, good luck to us all :)

Its just gone really light again unfortunatly.. I hope the heavy stuff doesnt completly die out... I wouldnt think so though.. theres a least a good few hours of heavy snow to come. :)

Posted

Just listening to East Midlands travel news on the radio. A lot of roads in the Peak District already blocked and the guy said ... wait for this ... it's going to get worse!

Posted

I'm still not convinced that the 2nd band is all of rain, as I said before, when it reaches Wales it will snow in places away from the coasts and as it comes into the Midlands I expect it to be falling as sleet and snow, thats until it turns to rain in the late morning i'd say. Cant see it turning to rain in Wales or the Midlands before 6am.

Posted

well delight its snowing in Cantley at 41ft. If it snows here then anywhere in this area will get snow.

Posted
I know i'm moaning but I don't care.

Yesterday we were too far north to get settling snow (although 15 miles SW got 5 inches).

Today not only am I too far north, but it would seem judging by the snow in Yorkshire that I am too far south.

Oh well, i'm off to play in the puddles.

I share your frustration and I think it has been quite common in the East/North East. I am in the north of Norfolk and have missed out so far with both cold spells. Yesterday we had light to moderate snow but it didn't settle, despite a very cold night. Today we have an E/SE wind, now quite strong and because of the North Sea warmth temps of 3.8C and drizzly rain. Looking at the radar, we're not in line for the heavier burst which seems to be giving snow. However, Lincoln does look better placed to receive this - you just have to keep an eye on the radar and maybe tonight you'll strike lucky.

It does make me wonder whether the North Sea is just going to be too warm to produce the goods in this part of the world this year. We would need the source to be especially cold I think for my proximity to the coast to benefit.

Up til this year I lived in London but came back to Norfolk at weekends. I was always frustrated that when I was in London it used to snow up in Norfolk and now i'm in Norfolk, London has had two decent snowfalls all in one winter! So you're not alone!

Good luck for this evening!

Posted
I didn't realise it was here already! :)

I thought with the reports of heavy snow to the south of us meant that it would be a while yet before it reached us. How long will it last?

read our Alert/Flash it is all in there.

Posted
yep, good luck to us all :D

Its just gone really light again unfortunatly.. I hope the heavy stuff doesnt completly die out... I wouldnt think so though.. theres a least a good few hours of heavy snow to come. :)

I'm just going to pop out and put a bulb in my outside light

I don't want to miss a single flake if it comes my way :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Just to add - our snow is moving away now and we are already thawing.

Posted
well delight its snowing in Cantley at 41ft. If it snows here then anywhere in this area will get snow.

Yes John, snowing here in Auckley too although its only settling on cars, not on grass. Where can I find the alert/flash?

Posted
Brian,

What do you think of the next line of precip off the SW coast? Rain or snow for us tonight? Personally, I think its too close to call.

Regards,

Mike.

I personally think any precip around Wales or the Midlands will all be of sleet or snow until 6am, then after that, who knows when it will turn to rain. Guessing around 9-10am maybe? But I'm by no means an expert and I am just basing my prediction on what the charts are telling me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
I'm still not convinced that the 2nd band is all of rain, as I said before, when it reaches Wales it will snow in places away from the coasts and as it comes into the Midlands I expect it to be falling as sleet and snow, thats until it turns to rain in the late morning i'd say. Cant see it turning to rain in Wales or the Midlands before 6am.

hhmmmhen i looked at the weather earlier there was snow for wales the west midlands between about 3am and 7am. Im not sure about the east midlands. The snow for us at 3am-7am should turn to rain then.

Posted

STILL SNOWING HEAVY HERE!!!!!!!!! JUST MEASURED 17CM ON THE FRONT GARDEN!!! HERES A PIC :):):D:):)

post-6161-1171046338_thumb.jpg

Posted
Yes John, snowing here in Auckley too although its only settling on cars, not on grass. Where can I find the alert/flash?

Go to the home page and you'll see it just below the menu bar.

Posted
No poimt looking too far out Brian, you are due a big dumping of snow in north Yorkshire surely tonight and tomorrow, and you might stay in the colder air for longer, never know, Friends have called from Wales and Gloucester just now telling me its realy heavy snow over there, and it should be heading your way tonight! :)

Ahhhh - snow in Gloucester is all melted... You need to go above 200m for snow now.

Posted

woohoo, getting quite heavy now!

What makes it even better is, infront of my house there is a busy road, but temorary traffic lights due to road works are forcing cars to stop for ages, allowing the road to quickly cover over with snow! I can see some cars getting stuck there later! hahaha! :)

my predictions for tonight:

me 10-12cm

groupel 3-6cm

james m 10-12cm. :)

Edited by Jed Bickerdike