Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted

Im predicting a mild month, though consistently mild compared to last year which was exceptionally mild during the first half and saw that minor anticyclonic correction later on.

6.6C

Posted

Not had time to look at this in too much detail, but I'll go for:

4.0c

Generally wet and average temps to start, possible cooler and more blocked from the East around of just after Christmas.

Posted
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem

6.1 CET for December

(7.1 mid month punt......)

Posted

December....now it starts to get tougher, the margin for error could be quite large!

Despite the projected warm start I am going for 5.7c. I do not expect it to be quite as mild as projected, with a marked cool down as the month progresses. (Hopefully the vortex will not get established over Greenland - we shall see).

Can I add my thanks to all those to take the time to organise these monthly CET competitions. It certainly keeps SF and WIB occcupied!

MM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather

Really tough call here, confused massively by the huge upward hit the CET is going to take in the first week or so and a possible downward correction mid month to Christmas.

SSTAs to our west are running at +2C to +2.75C.

We have a good steer for westerly flow over the next 7 days. With a -AO kicking in, it'll take time to evolve a -AO / -NAO but this will pop up as stratospheric anomalies kick in and a mid month correction takes place.

Analogues for Atlantic SSTA (which include the warm seas to our west) suggest nothing far off normal.

Temperature anomaly analogues:

z500 pressure anomaly pattern:

This equates to a huge potential spread. I make it +2 to -0.2. Mid point suggests somewhere around the 6 mark.

My projected AO is -0.6 to -0.8, more negative than November and a stronger signal for average or slighly below. Therefore average and an allowance for the damage caused the first week.

6.0 C please.

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

Osmposm 05.2, 164

Or +5.2oC if you prefer the more flamboyant approach!!

Edited by osmposm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I'm going to put mine in just before the witching hour...and its going to be incredibly close to average.

BFTP

Posted

really difficult to make a sensible punt this month - the toughest for a while.. gotta go with instinct and this tells me 5.9C. I fear I may be calling well under and expect another month of watching the colder 2nd half pull back the milder 1st half.

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

Looks above average for the first week, but looking for a switch around afterwards, 3.5c :rolleyes: for me please.

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

The northern blocking didn't set in as expected on my Dec thoughts but certain factors I'm still confident of. I will plump for 6.2C .

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I'll hopecast that the very mild start to December doesn't last too long and is offset by colder weather after about the 13th. This leads me to make a prediction of; 5.3c

T.M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

My December Entry is 5.7C.

Thanks to SF,JO and others for all the time given to running this Comp.