Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Wales (cymru) And The South West

Cymro

Posted
Yet again the BBC latest forecast has changed, now the snow extends into Cardiff! :lol:

But that was on the edge of the main snowband that is forecast to move north through the midlands. hopefully it could still change.

Edited by Bristle boy

Shame it's not a 100 miles south or so; that would be good for all of us and prolong the snowy spell. I'm a little unconvinced at the mo that we in the West will get much snow.

Just watched the weather on news24 and there's snow for SE england tonite and monday morn, but our part of the chart is a definite downgrade compared to an earlier forecast an hour ago. Then heavier snow for SE tomorrow adfternoon/eve but then moves north. I think it's NOT looking too good for West country and wales IMO. :lol:

Well the Charts from the UKMO/GFS are very promising, and they are using the charts that we are looking at, as things currently stand snow will arrive of SW England / Wales tomorrow evening as planned.

Look at the Meteociel charts above and you can see the actual forecast charts they are using.

Posted
Well the Charts from the UKMO/GFS are very promising, and they are using the charts that we are looking at, as things currently stand snow will arrive of SW England / Wales tomorrow evening as planned.

I hope you are proved correct.

It's just that forecast a few mins ago seemed to indicate main snowband to move north for tomorrow eve, through the midlands. Bristol, SE Wales on the edge.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Look at the Meteociel charts above and you can see the actual forecast charts they are using.

The thing is though Jackone, the BBC forecasts that I have seen before are going against the UKMO and GFS. Showing the snow not going further west than the Central Midlands. I am just very confused at this point. Are the BBC just playing a game of pin the snow on the map?!

The thing is though Jackone, the BBC forecasts that I have seen before are going against the UKMO and GFS. Showing the snow not going further west than the Central Midlands. I am just very confused at this point. Are the BBC just playing a game of pin the snow on the map?!

I would use the charts on the Meteociel website as these are actual charts and not open to misinterpretation.

All the models show show snow moving into Wales tomorrow evening and probably lasting for much of Tuesday and even the FAX chart backs this up.

Posted

Trouble with the bbc forecast they never run the snow sequence all the way through so you watch it up to one and and then think that it doesn't make you don't be disheartened. When have they ever really been rite? The Met office have more snow shower symbols over Wales and the South West than they have for any given days. Plus its likely to stay as snow and if accumulation occurs not much thawing will take place. Very cold and cloudy here to windy for a frost but the extent of the ice on the pond is unbelievable for once night. Never seen such rapid ice growth tbh is this because of the wind?

Posted

Agreed Nick.

I'm concerned for our area, BTL, which a day or so ago looked like we were right in the firing line.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Yeah we have the advantage of anything that falls out of the sky will be snow, those in the east have to worry about the mild sector.

Agreed Nick.

I'm concerned for our area, BTL, which a day or so ago looked like we were right in the firing line.

We still in the firing line, and perhaps for longer than for much of the UK.

Trouble with the bbc forecast they never run the snow sequence all the way through so you watch it up to one and and then think that it doesn't make you don't be disheartened. When have they ever really been rite? The Met office have more snow shower symbols over Wales and the South West than they have for any given days. Plus its likely to stay as snow and if accumulation occurs not much thawing will take place. Very cold and cloudy here to windy for a frost but the extent of the ice on the pond is unbelievable for once night. Never seen such rapid ice growth tbh is this because of the wind?

There does seem to be a lack of a complete sequence on the BBC forecasts, which is not a problem when you look at charts online.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Morning all.

Amazingly the windchill up here is currently -8.1C with the actual temp being closer to -1.5C and the dp -3.6C... lovely, overcast at the moment, but dry.

Haven't checked the forecasts but the models seem to suggest that we are still on for something over the next few days.

I think tomorrow will be similar to the December 2002 snow event. I am expecting a about 3cm of snow and not much more over Dartmoor but perhaps 5cm to 8cm over Exmoor as it is further north. Could also be more snow over Quantocks and Cotswolds.

How about this for the south west, snow could fall and lie at lower levels come Tuesday, even coastal areas, but notice thatb the snow is turning back to rain further east leaving the SW with more persisiant sleet and snow: :cold:

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/...304816f8c54433b

http://212.100.247.145/gfsimages/gfs.20090...ctypeuktopo.png

What does the BBC 1 countryfile weather have in store?

Posted

hey Jackone, as a self employed courier whose base is in Swansea, and who delivers to all the valleys(llynfi, ogmore, treorchy etc) in a single day, what am I looking at here?

I leave the house at 6:45 am.

what do you reckon? Will I get to finish a day's work?

I don't want to get caught out here, stranded on the Bwlch! :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

got a light snow shower here..

Posted
Yeah we have the advantage of anything that falls out of the sky will be snow, those in the east have to worry about the mild sector.

In my area it should only turn to sleet for a few hours before turning back to snow. Im right on the borderline of the mild sector so I might just get away with just snow.

hey Jackone, as a self employed courier whose base is in Swansea, and who delivers to all the valleys(llynfi, ogmore, treorchy etc) in a single day, what am I looking at here?

I leave the house at 6:45 am.

what do you reckon? Will I get to finish a day's work?

I don't want to get caught out here, stranded on the Bwlch! :cold:

My guess is that snow showers tomorrow, snow overnight into Tuesday, 2-4 inches (probably closer to the 4 inches in the maasteg area, with the chance of further snow into Tuesday.

But this is subject to change, and this will be covered in detail over the coming days, and I'm sure you ill know the situation before the Tuesday morning.

Posted
My guess is that snow showers tomorrow, snow overnight into Tuesday, 2-4 inches (probably closer to the 4 inches in the maasteg area, with the chance of further snow into Tuesday.

But this is subject to change, and this will be covered in detail over the coming days, and I'm sure you ill know the situation before the Tuesday morning.

ok, thanks for that. should get through tomorrow then. Tuesday looking dodgy.